Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k=1852efec231412beeb34ab2f8c1cce65-1496529781
Zreika is now part of the GWS Giants Academy, has an AFL scholarship and is hoping to be drafted into the AFLW next year.
But the rugby league diehard said a chance to do the same in the code she’s most passionate about could bring her back.
“Rugby league was my first passion. It is my favourite game. You can’t go wrong with rugby league,” she said.

Sounds like it depends on how well the NRL get their act together, history says they are no chance..
Looks like she is a good chance to leave at some point, if the NRL gets its act together. Still, every Zreika follower that is exposed to our far superior game is a chance of staying around. Maybe even Zreika can be fully turned to the dark side....

Anyone going to the Giants AFLW Members Forum tomorrow night? The missus and I will be there. The club are after feedback from members for 2018. If you have any ideas or feedback post here or PM me and I'll pass on what I can.
My wife and I also going :)

Indeed, hoping to be around 6, look for a 6' guy overweight in black jacket and pants and a 5'2" wife, I'll even prise my MK badge off my footy bag and lapel it for visibility :)
Goodo. I'll have on my generic Giants cap with Women's signatures on it.

Not a bad night. Looked after with a tonne of nibbles and soft drinks.

First part was a season review and preview. Some great insight into the list build, and what our trades have yielded. Some recognition that our draw was garbage and the club is looking for a better deal next time. There is some genuine excitement for 2018 regarding the list. Interesting just how restricted the clubs are with contact hours and what they can do to enforce out of season training regimen etc. AFLPA right on top of working conditions and pay quid pro quo. Players can seek advice and support, so many do. Injured players still get full treatment of course. For example, Mai Nguyen a regular visitor to the club.

The second part of the evening was a workshop seeking ideas and feedback on membership offerings, packs, game and event experiences, and communications. Lots of good discussion and ideas. One point heard loud and clear was the unfortunate scheduling of the doubleheader. The point being the Friday 5pm slot killed the crowd number early (as did the rain), and the JLT match really should be the curtain raiser. Having it the other way round sends the wrong message.

An added bonus was finally getting my hands on a couple Foundation Member Pins. We missed out in the mail out of late member packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the story behind that one? I admit I didn't pay as much attention to the GWS womens games as I did the Lions.

7 teams to play meant that some got 4 home and 3 away, while others only got 3 home and 4 away. Guess which one we were? Guess which one Collingwood were?

Should have automatically been the interstate teams to get 4 home because the Melbourne teams could play away in their own city. No Victorian team travelled interstate more than twice. Even those with only three home games.

It was a complete disgrace.

7 teams to play meant that some got 4 home and 3 away, while others only got 3 home and 4 away. Guess which one we were? Guess which one Collingwood were?

Should have automatically been the interstate teams to get 4 home because the Melbourne teams could play away in their own city. No Victorian team travelled interstate more than twice. Even those with only three home games.

It was a complete disgrace.
Add to that the second home game at BISP on a Friday afternoon!

Congratulations to Maddy. $20k & a laptop will come in handy.

Collier Awarded Jill Lindsay Scholarship
GIANTS Media June 30, 2017 12:03 PM
CollierAward-PORTRAIT.jpg

Maddy Collier in action for the GIANTS through the AFLW season.

It’s an incredible honour to receive this scholarship, particularly one named after such an important role model and contributor to our industry.

GIANTS AFL Women’s star Maddy Collier has been awarded the prestigious 2017 Jill Lindsay Scholarship at the AFL Women’s Industry Lunch in Melbourne today.

The Jill Lindsay Scholarship is awarded to a female graduate of the AFL SportsReady Traineeship Program, who has aspirations and future potential to progress within the industry.

Collier, who was named in the GIANTS’ leadership group for the club’s inaugural AFLW season at just 21 years old, has previously worked at AFL NSW/ACT and is currently a listed GIANTS AFLW player, working at the club part time.

“It’s an incredible honour to receive this scholarship, particularly one named after such an important role model and contributor to our industry,” Collier said.

“When I was growing up in a regional area of NSW, and a Rugby League heartland, there was no opportunity at all for girls and women to play AFL.

“I started playing AFL at 15 and within the first quarter I realised that the game was my passion.

“Towards the end of year 12, knowing that AFL was my passion but with not a clue as to how I could make a career out of it, I applied for a role as a trainee development officer with AFL Sydney through SportsReady.

“The administrative and development officer training and qualifications I attained through my SportsReady traineeship are valuable and used on a daily basis, however it is the confidence - not just in an office environment, but in myself - that I built throughout my traineeship that I cannot put a value on.

“My passion to take this opportunity to be a history maker as part of the AFL Women’s competition drives me to be the best that I can possibly be and I embrace the fact that young girls from Auskick age to grown women now look to myself and other AFLW players as role models.”

Collier was awarded $20,000 to assist further education and a laptop computer. In addition, Andi Pert, an HR consultant and executive coach, will mentor her for 12 months.

The scholarship is named after Jill Lindsay, who was the AFL’s longest serving employee having completed 41 years at the AFL in various roles.

Ms Lindsay’s roles included VFL Park match-day manager and VFL membership manager before being appointed grounds operations manager in 1991. Jill passed away after losing her battle with cancer in 2011.

Ms Lindsay was one of the game’s great pioneers; the first female to become an AFL Life Member and was born locally in Ryde, graduating from Marsden High School in Western Sydney.

To be eligible for the Jill Lindsay Scholarship, nominees must be working in the AFL industry and have previously completed an AFL SportsReady Traineeship.

GIANTS General Manager of People and Culture, Jody Masina, congratulated Collier on her award.

“Being prepared to try something different and to experience Australian Football when living in a Rugby League heartland is inspirational enough,” Ms Masina said.

“But to then be able to pursue a pathway into representative teams and then into the GIANTS’ AFLW team shows the true spirit and inner determination of Maddy.

“Investing in Maddy is investing in female football across New South Wales. Her passion and capability for not just the actual game but the craft of coaching, community development and the broader AFL industry as an operating business is the talent and succession progression for the future.”

Collier said she will use the grant to conduct female football clinics in regional and remote areas of the state as well as achieve further qualifications including her Level 2 Coaching Accreditation and a Certificate 4 in Coaching, followed by a Diploma in Sport Development.

More By GIANTS Media

I like this appointment.

Pity Schmidt couldn't/wouldn't hang around.

But you do realise that for all his massive experience McConnell hasn't actually ever won a game as a senior coach. Granted he inherited a basket case at Fitzroy (twice) after Quinlan went 2 and 17 in 95 before being sacked and McConell lost the last three - and then Nunan went 1 and 13 before being sacked in 96 with McConnell failing to win any of Fitzroy's last 8 games in the competition. Must have been really dispiriting at the time though.

Here's hoping the Girls get him on the board for his first W (and then some)

I wonder whether this means he steps down as senior assistant to Leon? Big ask to be AFLW Coach, Coaching Director and Senior Assistant...

Yeah, it did say he was staying on in his men's role as director of coaching but didn't mention senior assistant at all. I would imagine we'll see an announcement regarding the men's coaching staff at the end of the year. I've heard somewhere that Brogan is moving on, could be looking at a reasonable shake up.

Just a quick mention about how great Renee Tonks is as an Ambassador for footy.

Renee plays for the Penrith/Auburn Giants during the Sydney season and trains with the Rams/Ramettes. The Penrith Giants share the oval at training and she's done at least three training sessions with our youth girls teams.

Many of these girls have never played footy before this year or last year. Many don't have brothers who play either. But we've got them and a real AFLW player trains with them.

Thanks Renee!

Just a quick mention about how great Renee Tonks is as an Ambassador for footy.

Renee plays for the Penrith/Auburn Giants during the Sydney season and trains with the Rams/Ramettes. The Penrith Giants share the oval at training and she's done at least three training sessions with our youth girls teams.

Many of these girls have never played footy before this year or last year. Many don't have brothers who play either. But we've got them and a real AFLW player trains with them.

Thanks Renee!
Hope you let the club know. They really like hearing about these things in unsolicited feedback and make sure it gets back to the players and officials involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back