Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

All the women picked up so far have played in at least 1 exhibition game. I as worried about the ability of the league to get some equalisation with the relatively low pay, but it seems to be working out.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

All the women picked up so far have played in at least 1 exhibition game. I as worried about the ability of the league to get some equalisation with the relatively low pay, but it seems to be working out.

I think the women have bought into the concept of spreading the talent around. Many are making the sacrifice of moving a long way from home to start up a club. It will interesting to see what happens once the initial rounds of contracts expire and the league looks like it is on its feet. Clubs will need to be working hard on bringing through local talent from the get go.

I think the women have bought into the concept of spreading the talent around. Many are making the sacrifice of moving a long way from home to start up a club. It will interesting to see what happens once the initial rounds of contracts expire and the league looks like it is on its feet. Clubs will need to be working hard on bringing through local talent from the get go.
Would be an attraction, being an initial foundation member of a new team, compared to sitting and waiting to see if you are a draftee.

How does moving interstate work on the salaries they are on? I cant find anything explaining this. They cant be full time professionals unless the figures I have seen are way off, of a base rate of $5k a year.

How does moving interstate work on the salaries they are on? I cant find anything explaining this. They cant be full time professionals unless the figures I have seen are way off, of a base rate of $5k a year.

$5,000 is the base pay.
$10,000 is the next level of pay.
That's still on the low side, but I imagine clubs are helping out with work opportunities and study, etc.

$5,000 is the base pay.
That's still on the low side, but I imagine clubs are helping out with work opportunities and study, etc.
Thanks for the info.
Figured it had to be something like that, wasn't sure of the rules. Will keep the welfare staff busy no doubt.
You'd expect it to grow in time.
At least we know they love the game, wealth wouldn't be much of a motivator.
I will probably go to the games, fills a gap in the off season. I also expect them to be good soectacles without the stalemate effect of well drilled professional defenses.

Last edited:
Thought it would be good to set up a pinned thread on our newest team. Here we can discuss the development of the list, coaching staff and preparations for 2017 and beyond. GT

View attachment 258897

GIANTS Will Field National Women’s League Team in 2017

The Giants have been announced as one of eight successful AFL Clubs provided a licence to field a team in the new National Women’s League (NWL) in 2017. The NWL will launch its inaugural season in February next year.

GIANTS CEO David Matthews said today’s decision was a watershed moment for the game and for female athletes in New South Wales and the ACT.

“This is one of the most significant announcements in the game’s history and certainly one of the most important things the GIANTS will ever do,” Mr Matthews said.

“Today’s decision opens up a clear pathway for women and girls looking to play Australian Football at the elite level. The opportunity this provides females in New South Wales and the ACT is unprecedented.

“We’re pleased our bid has been vindicated and our commitment to the promotion and development of female sport has been recognised by the AFL. We are in the unique positon of having a proven track record when it comes to building a club from the ground up. We know what it takes to establish a new team and take the game to all corners of the community from day one.

“Our objectives in establishing a women’s AFL team are also aligned to the AFL’s broader strategic aims of providing comprehensive pathways for female athletes and developing a truly national code.

“We have world class facilities and play out of some of the best stadia in the country which will provide the ideal platform for growing the women’s game. We are proud to be the flag bearers for female athletes looking to play Australian Football in New South Wales and the ACT and can’t wait for the inaugural NWL season to get under way next year.”

The Giants have recent success in establishing new teams in the AFL and NEAFL, will be confident in the addition of a women's team to the club. The initiative also follows the Giants commitment to grassroots community support, social inclusion and diversity across NSW and the ACT.

The other seven NWL teams are Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs. The other AFL club applicants, Richmond, Geelong, North Melbourne and St Kilda, along with the Eagles, have been granted provisional licences to be part of an expanded women's league in 2018, depending on development of the game in their areas.

The Competition Schedule

The 2017 competition will feature six home-and-away rounds, with the top four playing two semi-finals and a Grand Final.

The women's Grand Final could be played in the week between the end of the NAB Challenge and the start of the AFL season, or as a curtain-raiser to the AFL season opener at the MCG on either a Thursday or Saturday night.

Some GWS Giants Women's Player Profiles
(Source: Club Website)

Codie BRIGGS 17/10/90
Dynamic, ball getter. Always creating options and adding some flair

Caitlin BUNKER 28/08/93 165cm
Hard running HB with electric left foot.

Karina DEMANT 23/02/90 167cm
Has kicked 310 goals in 190 games

Amanda FARRUGIA 24/01/85 165cm

Anne-Maree GHIRARDELLO 6/05/93 181cm
Good marking forward with speed and skills

Kathryn GHIRARDELLO 25/05/87 180cm
Great user of the body and cleaver around marking contests.

Jodie HICKS 19/01/97 157cm

Lael KASSEM 8/07/91 167cm

Katie KLATT 7/09/91

Paige MATHEWSON 23/06/94 166cm

Rebecca MITCHELL 19/05/94 188cm
Big strong ruck with a big engine

Mai NGUYEN 16/06/90 164cm

Riley O'SHAUGHNESSY 8/11/94

Rohana PRINCE 18/08/91 160cm
Tough inside player who can play on ball - midfield

Talia RADAN 9/05/88 181cm
Tough defender who loves the running contest

Ella ROSS 1/07/92 173cm
Midfield player who loves the hard ball and tackling of the game

Sally SEABROOK 5/04/91 183cm
New player to the list who has imporved greatly in the past 12 months

Renee TOMKINS 17/04/86

Keeghan TUCKER 29/02/92 171cm

Britt TULLY 3/05/93 168cm
Nuggety tough player who has a great turn of speed

Sarah TUTT 9/02/91 168cm
New player who has very good speed and positioning

Lani WATSON 8/01/92 162cm
Goal sneak who has great goal sense

Hannah WALLET 20/11/90 179cm
Mobile forward who runs all day, great set shot for goal
I know that I'm late off the blocks here, but I think that's great! Best of luck to our girls in 2017! I'd love to squeeze in at least one of the girls' games next year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$5,000 is the base pay.
And most of the girl we have signed are already either working in player development or are in other roles at afl clubs so you would think they would just move into the same kind of roles with us.

Last edited:
Welcome Nicola

Unusual for a number one pick, there won't be any of the usual pressure given there were 16 marquees and 24 priority picks taken by all the clubs first.

Also interesting, everyone went local with their first pick.

Can't wait to see who else we pick up.

Welcome Nicola

Unusual for a number one pick, there won't be any of the usual pressure given there were 16 marquees and 24 priority picks taken by all the clubs first.

Can't wait to see who else we pick up.
Draft is state based so pick 1 isn't really pick 1

Each of the women nominated a state, and could only be drafted by clubs in that state.

So the non-Victorian clubs knew who they'd get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back