Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

I just signed the petition: Respect AFLW

This issue means a lot to me - will you please sign the petition as well? Every person that signs this petition builds momentum for the campaign. Every signature brings us closer to victory!

Join me.

https://www.megaphone.org.au/petitions/respect-aflw

After you've signed the petition, please also take a moment to share it with others, FB, Twitter or email.

Cheers

This issue means a lot to me - will you please sign the petition as well? Every person that signs this petition builds momentum for the campaign. Every signature brings us closer to victory!

Join me.

After you've signed the petition, please also take a moment to share it with others, FB, Twitter or email.

Cheers
Done

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Join me.

Cheers
I’m about to sign this.

In a similar vein. The Wollongong local womens team (Wollongong Saints) is fighting against the AFL as they are not associated with any men’s team. AFL is determined to have every women’s team backed up by a men’s team. The AFL needs to respect these independent women’s clubs if they want to expand the game.

It is a team which competes in the Sydney league(AFL won’t let them join the Sydney Premier League even though they were premiers last year in the league below). The only other option is a team that is connected to the local men’s club however that doesn’t provide the opportunity for talented girls in the region to play against player their skill level because they play in the limited skilled south coast league and the Sydney league is much more competitive where the talented players from the region should be able to play and be challenged by their opponents. They may be forced to join St George soon to be able to survive and this shouldn’t have to be the case.

They also have a team that operates in the local league so it’s a good opportunity to build your skills and play at a higher level if needed.

I just wanted to make people aware of the issue as you probably know it’s already happening in Melbourne where independent Women clubs are being shut down.

AFL need to get their heads straight as they are removing pathways for women’s footy in the area just as demand is dramatically increasing.

Edit: here’s a link to help get the club $3,000 through greater bank.

https://www.greater.com.au/latest-offers/greater-illawarra#section-3

When on website. It will then take you to the nominations and click Wollongong Saints when you find it and there’s an arrow on the bottom corner that if you click your vote will be submitted. It would be great if you could help keep the club on its own feet and continue to provide a pathway for women.

Last edited:
I’m about to sign this.

In a similar vein. The Wollongong local womens team (Wollongong Saints) is fighting against the AFL as they are not associated with any men’s team. AFL is determined to have every women’s team backed up by a men’s team. The AFL needs to respect these independent women’s clubs if they want to expand the game.

It is a team which competes in the Sydney league(AFL won’t let them join the Sydney Premier League even though they were premiers last year in the league below). The only other option is a team that is connected to the local men’s club however that doesn’t provide the opportunity for talented girls in the region to play against player their skill level because they play in the limited skilled south coast league and the Sydney league is much more competitive where the talented players from the region should be able to play and be challenged by their opponents. They may be forced to join St George soon to be able to survive and this shouldn’t have to be the case.

They also have a team that operates in the local league so it’s a good opportunity to build your skills and play at a higher level if needed.

I just wanted to make people aware of the issue as you probably know it’s already happening in Melbourne where independent Women clubs are being shut down.

AFL need to get their heads straight as they are removing pathways for women’s footy in the area just as demand is dramatically increasing.
That just seems stupid, so no wonder the AFL are doing it. Are they going to shut down mens clubs without a womens team I wonder?

That just seems stupid, so no wonder the AFL are doing it. Are they going to shut down mens clubs without a womens team I wonder?
Of course not. Men’s teams can stand on their own without a women’s team. For some reason they’ve got the idea that women’s teams can’t be independent.

Of course not. Men’s teams can stand on their own without a women’s team. For some reason they’ve got the idea that women’s teams can’t be independent.
I had thought Gil was less anachronistic than that, you'd hope it's a ballsup further down the chain than any AFL stance, official or otherwise

It'd be one way to trim the number of Victorian AFL clubs. :D

I had thought Gil was less anachronistic than that, you'd hope it's a ballsup further down the chain than any AFL stance, official or otherwise

While I had big hopes for him initially, it's clear Gil just spits in the air to see which way the wind is blowing and if it ends up back in his face he just turns around quickly.

While I had big hopes for him initially, it's clear Gil just spits in the air to see which way the wind is blowing and if it ends up back in his face he just turns around quickly.
The focus group culture preceded him, but very fair to say he has embraced it :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the amount of car travel I've done up and down the Hume over the decades, Holbrook is like my second home, I always viewed it as where the Barassi line crosses the Hume, because the primary school has footy posts, once you get to Gundagai, you're definitely in rugby league territory

I'm confused by the new fixture and the upstarts joining. I assume they get ridiculous draft concessions?

I'll have to look into the details in the in the next couple of days

Countless games and hours of videos have been watched, and debates had over the last six months, but GIANTS AFL Women’s coach Alan McConnell is ready for Tuesday’s 2018 NAB AFLW Draft in Melbourne. The GIANTS will look to add up to seven new faces to their list for the 2019 AFLW season. McConnell is feeling more prepared than this time last year when he headed to the 2017 draft having been the GIANTS’ AFLW head coach for just over two months.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/20...&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=WDraftPreview

New shirt
2756008e5925c7af9dfc4a980c6bcd82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back