Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The GIANTS received an additional selection at the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft after Canberra midfielder Britt Tully announced she was stepping away from the game for 12 months due to personal reasons. Tully played 14 games for the GIANTS after making her debut in round 1, 2017, finishing third in the 2017 Gabrielle Trainor Medal and winning the Coaches Award in 2018. The club will continue to support Tully.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-10-23/giants-welcome-eight-aflw-draftees

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Yay Tonks!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a fan from the Riff with a son who plays for the mighty Giants, I’ve watched Tonks spend a hell of a lot of time with first the only, then the two girls teams - training and game day. She is an awesome inspiration for local girls to get involved.

Really pleased she is back.

Also - Delma Gisu’s highlight reel.... :eek:
“Livewire” doesn’t really go far enough.

Congrats to all the girls selected.

Welcome to the club

I hope you all do us proud.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
EBONY O’Dea could feel her dreams of playing AFLW next year slowly slipping away. She was watching last month’s national women’s draft in Melbourne at fellow SA hopeful Jess Edwards’s house – Edwards moved to Victoria earlier this year – and O’Dea was getting more anxious as each selection went by. When Carlton selected Edwards with pick No. 48, O’Dea was happy for her friend, but thought her own chances were dashed. Then, to her surprise, Greater Western Sydney secured her with the day’s final selection – pick No. 68. “We were streaming it (the draft) on a TV … and I ended up being the last pick of the day, which I didn’t even know existed,” the defender/midfielder says. “There were a couple of minutes there were I thought I had not been picked because I thought the Giants had already used their final pick. “There were tears and I was very relieved. “To watch it with Jess and see her get picked was so great.”The 19-year-old supports GWS, making the club’s decision to pick her even more special.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/mess...t/news-story/1ec8c514ec6618d0941653cde0010b16

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Would like to think we can keep some of our VFL players for ourselves thies way

That was my first thought. The likes of Sydney girl Bec Beeson playing VFLW for Hawthorn (and having the Eastern Devils listed as her ‘local’ club in her profile rather than UNSW) irks the hell out of me.

It’s a pity it’s only five games though, and not for points or a chance to win anything - so we’ll still lose players to the teams who can win, ‘cause let’s face it, that’s why you play.

But despite the lack of points, it’s not entirely pointless.

It might show the powers that be at the AFL that the women’s game can actually be played in winter, at the same time as the men’s and that it should be a proper competition that runs a proper season length at an appropriate time of the year.

Back