Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Are we going to have any AFLW players in our AFLW team?

Mmmm... Try losing four to NM, then another eight this off-season including the captain and vice-captain. :(

The expansion rules shits me to the point of losing any interest in the comp, because clubs are out there identifying and bringing on talent and then the expansion clubs get to pick over them because there's no multi-year contracts or real pay differential. Funnily enough the expansion clubs aren't going out and taking the bottom four players - it's always the players that have come on the most. You'd literally have been better off being an expansion club than a foundation club at this stage - would you rather have a team minus 12 (or 8) of your first choice players, or a team made up of players from the top handful of each existing team?

Mmmm... Try losing four to NM, then another eight this off-season including the captain and vice-captain. :(

The expansion rules shits me to the point of losing any interest in the comp, because clubs are out there identifying and bringing on talent and then the expansion clubs get to pick over them because there's no multi-year contracts or real pay differential. Funnily enough the expansion clubs aren't going out and taking the bottom four players - it's always the players that have come on the most. You'd literally have been better off being an expansion club than a foundation club at this stage - would you rather have a team minus 12 (or 8) of your first choice players, or a team made up of players from the top handful of each existing team?
Agree, the raping of the Lions and potentially of the Dockers is bullshit, I don't understand why the 4 player limit can't apply equally.

I love the comp though, even played a fantasy league this year that we are looking to make a keeper league next year.

One thing it did highlight was the quality of the draftees, as the young women enter the senior comp with a footy background they are showing the potential skill gains that were only hoped for, hopefully the Lions have a great draft

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

To true

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So ... Tomkins, Whiteley, Perry, O'Dea, Gisu & Mackrill the names missing. perhaps a few may return in the long run, as happened last year. Surprised at Renee Tomkins - but did the same thing happen last year to her (missed out initially, but late re-contract)?

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The GIANTS have announced their inaugural 37-player squad for the 2019 VFL Women’s season. The squad, that will play five invitational games across four months, has been training together for the past month and features a number of current and former GIANTS AFL Women’s players. 18 of the GIANTS’ 22 players signed for the 2020 AFL Women’s season are part of the squad while former GIANTS Melissa Freckleton, Rebecca Privitelli, Pippa Smyth will also pull on orange and charcoal once again. Due to AFLW rules requiring squads to be reduced to 22 players ahead of this year's NAB AFLW Draft, recently delisted Delma Gisu, Tait Mackrill, Ebony O’Dea, Britt Perry, Renee Tomkins and Lisa Whiteley will play to strengthen their chances of being re-drafted. The VFLW program also gives a number of emerging New South Wales and ACT players the opportunity to play against some of the best players in the country.
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-03/giants-announce-vflw-squad

Back