AFL Club Focus
Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
Do you remember this one?

Well where there is smoke there is fire...we saw this one coming.

Always disappointing to lose a key pillar of the club but hopefully we can replace him with somebody equally as good if not better.

It's a dream job as even with improvement we should have good selections available to us for the next 5 or 6 years as the list is pruned and some highly rated kids depart.

I think overall SOS has done a good job. Let's face it with the concessions we've been given he's pretty much in a no win situation as if we succeed they will say its because of draft picks and if we underachieve he will be blamed!

I think their selections of the 17yo's were bloody incredible. To get in guys like Cameron, Treloar, Shiel, Kennedy and Hampton was just an insanely good yield. I think he may have erred in trying to build a list and not taking best available (in a couple of situations) however as we are not interviewing the kids we don't know what their attitudes were like.

For example Chad Wingard and Brodie Grundy both appeared obvious selections however we have subsequently found out that Wingard told us he would go home for nothing in 2 years if we picked him and Grundy apparently acted like a moron in some of his interviews.

The only player I think SOS should not of missed is Ollie Wines. Ollie had a mature body which we didn't have, was top 3 rated talent wise and had great character/family. Missing him was an error as taking a key defender in Plow so high was unnecessary and O'Rourke wasn't rated that high by anyone else. As I stated earlier he did steal James Stewart, and Zac Williams has been an excellent rookie pick up.

All things considered I think he's done a good job and hopefully nabs us Pickett next Thursday to give us a fantastic present before he departs :)

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Do you remember this one?

I certainly do but it was subsequently pointed out to me that he had nothing to do with the original 17yo’s and clearly that post was made before a bunch of clangers. My assessment today is on the entirety of his tenure so it’s a bit ridiculous to bring back something from years ago, people are allowed to adjust their opinions when they have all the information.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
I certainly do but it was subsequently pointed out to me that he had nothing to do with the original 17yo’s and clearly that post was made before a bunch of clangers. My assessment today is on the entirety of his tenure so it’s a bit ridiculous to bring back something from years ago, people are allowed to adjust their opinions when they have all the information.
Absolutely a person can change their opinions.
How did those 'clangers' occur though? List manager/recruiter brings in talent, coach develops talent.
So why attribute the 'clangers' to the list manager and not the coach?

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely a person can change their opinions.
How did those 'clangers' occur though? List manager/recruiter brings in talent, coach develops talent.
So why attribute the 'clangers' to the list manager and not the coach?
history is in the past mate, let it go.

post necromancy is just dick measuring

This thread is in danger of drifting well off-topic into a SOSage fight. Unfortunately people tend to hold black and white views on things (he's crap/he's great) when IMHO the reality is more nuanced/grey. Suffice to say that my view is that SOS's past selections for GWS were neither as fabulous as some would make out (and strangely they are mostly not GWS posters) but not as completely crap as others have said. However, I do think his overall hit rate (which needs to exclude the 17 year old selections and 2011 draft) is below par when you look at the whole picture (including position of where some players were taken).

I think that not selecting Grundy in 2012 with any of 2, 3, 12 or 14 was clearly a massive fail - especially as posters have noted it's still a problem position for GWS!

In terms of 2019 draft, I think that most GWS fans are content with what occurred. We probably paid Adelaide overs to acquire pick 4, but given that quibbling over the details can completely kybosh a trade (as per the reports on the failed Adelaide/Carlton trade) it was as straightforward as we could make it. I think that GWS are cognisant of the talent on its list that might not want to stay (for varying reasons including homesickness & better opportunity) and so not having a first round pick in the 2020 ND is next year's problem that may present a ready-made solution. Effectively we brought forward next year's first round pick to this year, and Ash definitely fills a need while Green presents an opportunity. Overall, plenty of talent on the list and acquired in 2019, so no excuses on the list/talent aspect.
Kind of my thoughts as well. I don't think he was terrible by any means. But given the draft picks he had in his time he should have had more hits
I think it is unfair to judge him on any given selection or non selection. All recruiters are going to be wrong on lots of players.
My issue with SOS he regularly goes much earlier on players than many expect, and very few have come off. Also there has been very few (if any) diamonds in the rough that he is plucked.
SOS nailed his trades though (and still does), he should get credit for that.

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Will green play round one?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Will green play round one?

Unless we have our usual spate of injuries then I think highly unlikely. He still needs to improve his tank to play inside mid and he can’t really be used in any other position.

I would think his best chance will be 8 or 9 rounds in when players are injured and rested and he has a decent body of work to show he is ready. He won’t be rushed in.

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Unless we have our usual spate of injuries then I think highly unlikely. He still needs to improve his tank to play inside mid and he can’t really be used in any other position.

I would think his best chance will be 8 or 9 rounds in when players are injured and rested and he has a decent body of work to show he is ready. He won’t be rushed in.
Should probably get to see him in the practice matches soon to get an idea.

Tenny

??
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Not personally. I’ve spoken to someone at Richmond who says we’re not interested in Green because we’re bullish on our young midfielders (RCD, Ross, Dow, Stack, Bolton, Graham, etc.) and I tend to agree because I think we’re fairly covered in this department. However my gut feel is things can change very quickly and we will come knocking eventually.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Not personally. I’ve spoken to someone at Richmond who says we’re not interested in Green because we’re bullish on our young midfielders (RCD, Ross, Dow, Stack, Bolton, Graham, etc.) and I tend to agree because I think we’re fairly covered in this department. However my gut feel is things can change very quickly and we will come knocking eventually.
I would be extremely surprised that we were not interested in Green , I think this kid will be a gun and he will be exactly what we need in 2-3 years when Cotchin is gone.

Stack & Bolton are very very different players as well as RCD & Dow and the only like /like player would be Ross
If Green is interested in 2-3 years time then Richmond will be making a big play for him imo

I would be extremely surprised that we were not interested in Green , I think this kid will be a gun and he will be exactly what we need in 2-3 years when Cotchin is gone.

Stack & Bolton are very very different players as well as RCD & Dow and the only like /like player would be Ross
If Green is interested in 2-3 years time then Richmond will be making a big play for him imo
It all depends on how good he is and how good the guys you have turn out to be.
If he turns into the next Patrick Cripps (big if) like they are touting, every one will be interested.
If he doesn't do much in the next couple years and blokes like Ross and RCD kick on , they probably aren't interested.

Personally I hope he is a gun!

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
It all depends on how good he is and how good the guys you have turn out to be.
If he turns into the next Patrick Cripps (big if) like they are touting, every one will be interested.
If he doesn't do much in the next couple years and blokes like Ross and RCD kick on , they probably aren't interested.

Personally I hope he is a gun!
I have no doubt Green will be a 200+ game player but with the talent on your list not sure he will get much opportunity in the first 2 years
Giants have so much midfield talent coming through its crazy.

Richmond has turned over 24 players since the end of 2016 and will most likely have another 15+ gone by 2023 and not all players develop but i can definitely see Richmond making a big play for Green

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have no doubt Green will be a 200+ game player but with the talent on your list not sure he will get much opportunity in the first 2 years
Giants have so much midfield talent coming through its crazy.

Richmond has turned over 24 players since the end of 2016 and will most likely have another 15+ gone by 2023 and not all players develop but i can definitely see Richmond making a big play for Green
I can see GWS let Caldwell and Hately go first before Green, maybe Richmond can get his younger brother Green:). Hately not yet extended his contract.

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
What's happened to O'Halloran? A few of our guys were bullish on him when he was drafted but he is never even mentioned in possible emergencies. Is he injured or just not good enough?

What's happened to O'Halloran? A few of our guys were bullish on him when he was drafted but he is never even mentioned in possible emergencies. Is he injured or just not good enough?
Apparently going really well, missed a fair bit last year due to injury, perhaps lost his place in the queue .

There is a logjam of young early draft pick midfielders, but by reports going well, it is likely we will lose someone, it could be O'Halloran.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Lost three months to a knee last year and 6 weeks to an ankle earlier this year.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very interested in what gws do with their midfielders this off season. The 'stars' have been ineffective this year, whilst they have lots of highly rated kids who cant get a regular game.
I think they would already be regretting the Cognilio contract.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
It is for 1st round mids.

Most clubs have multiple top 30 draft picks who aren't set in their best 22 at this stage.

And really, why should they be getting a regular senior game at this stage of their career? Just because they were good juniors and have potential?

If you've got multiple first- and second-year players in your side every week, they're either super generational talents (none of these guys look like it yet), or you're ravaged by injury that senior depth can't cover, or you're just not a very good side with a deep list.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Most clubs have multiple top 30 draft picks who aren't set in their best 22 at this stage.

And really, why should they be getting a regular senior game at this stage of their career? Just because they were good juniors and have potential?

If you've got multiple first- and second-year players in your side every week, they're either super generational talents (none of these guys look like it yet), or you're ravaged by injury that senior depth can't cover, or you're just not a very good side with a deep list.
Actually there aren't that many 1st round mids from the last two drafts who aren't getting regular games. Gws have four. This would be fine if their midfield was performing, it isn't. They have a lot of underperformers on good money keeping out kids who would get games elsewhere. There are a few ways they can go, but at the moment they are neither competitive or developing youth. Something has got to give.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Actually there aren't that many 1st round mids from the last two drafts who aren't getting regular games. Gws have four. This would be fine if their midfield was performing, it isn't. They have a lot of underperformers on good money keeping out kids who would get games elsewhere. There are a few ways they can go, but at the moment they are neither competitive or developing youth. Something has got to give.

How aren’t they developing? Every one of them has had a go.

Back