Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
watching keenly if list sizes shrink
Who makes the cut of a 35 man list at GWS? And what quality is there that doesn't.
It's too hard to say definitively, as it will depend on the $ associated with the reduced list size and how the AFL goes about implementing that.

GWS has a main list of 38, with Heater to retire this year and a number of players OOC who could easily be let go (e.g. Finlayson, Langdon) without impacting the overall list balance. But if there's a big reduction in $ that is borne by players signing this year (rather than spread somewhat evenly across the whole list i.e. similar to this year's pay reduction across the entire playing group) then you would have to think that a marquee player would be needed to be lost to achieve that outcome.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love Cogs, but he obviously isnt going to last until the end of his contract. If he came to North and we paid for the next three years would gws foot the bill after that?
In the right environment, I reckon he could become the next Ben Jacobs.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I love Cogs, but he obviously isnt going to last until the end of his contract. If he came to North and we paid for the next three years would gws foot the bill after that?

No.

While this year is s**t I do think next year with another off-season under his belt he will be great.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOOOOOL

But yes, was a far more valuable player when he kept the opposition star in check while also getting clearances himself. Has gone from a self sufficient Jack Steele to the definition of a 1 way runner.

Still, comparing him to ben jacobs is a bit harsh

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOOOOOL

But yes, was a far more valuable player when he kept the opposition star in check while also getting clearances himself. Has gone from a self sufficient Jack Steele to the definition of a 1 way runner.

Still, comparing him to ben jacobs is a bit harsh
Ben Jacobs was the best in the comp at what he did and what Cogs could be.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Would really be a shame if any or all of Caldwell, Hateley and O'Halloran walk on the basis they can't get a regular game in this stellar midfield.

However if the club insists on playing Coniglio every week of the year regardless of how bad his form is they all may be making the right decision.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the best stop gap going around right now would be Preuss. He is one of the very few rucks in the comp who aren't first choice that could very well be. If they don't want to a go for a ruck, put Finlayson there for the time being.

If they were smart they’d try and snare Cox for a nothing pick and have Collingwood pay some of his salary. The guy is a ruckman, not a forward, and a bloody good one at that. They’d get a good 3-5 years out of him while they develop a kid.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If they were smart they’d try and snare Cox for a nothing pick and have Collingwood pay some of his salary. The guy is a ruckman, not a forward, and a bloody good one at that. They’d get a good 3-5 years out of him while they develop a kid.
He has played 2 full-time ruck games in his career, and has shown 0 indication that he can run out the whole game as a full-time ruck.

But then again, if he has a proven track record he wouldnt come free, or negative value in this case with us paying some of his salary.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC

Did you just compare Coniglio to Ben Jacobs?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He has played 2 full-time ruck games in his career, and has shown 0 indication that he can run out the whole game as a full-time ruck.

But then again, if he has a proven track record he wouldnt come free, or negative value in this case with us paying some of his salary.
He’s shown no indication that he can run out the whole game as a ruck..... aside from the two games he ran out the whole game as a ruck?

Ok then 👍🏻

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s shown no indication that he can run out the whole game as a ruck..... aside from the two games he ran out the whole game as a ruck?

Ok then 👍🏻
You're actually so defensive, like just relax lol...

The 2 games were from over 3 years ago, even then both 2 games were under 80% TOG.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did you just compare Coniglio to Ben Jacobs?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No. I made the comment a couple of weeks ago, before he was dropped. He is currently a liability as midfielder and the giants have signed him on a ridiculous contract. They need to find a role for him that benefits the team.

He is an excellent run-with player, if he returned to that role I think he could be as good as Ben Jacobs. This was my helpful suggestion.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
No. I made the comment a couple of weeks ago, before he was dropped. He is currently a liability as midfielder and the giants have signed him on a ridiculous contract. They need to find a role for him that benefits the team.

He is an excellent run-with player, if he returned to that role I think he could be as good as Ben Jacobs. This was my helpful suggestion.
He’s got a fair bit more to offer than Jacobs. GWS or any other team that landed him would hope he can provide a lot more than that also I’d reckon

You're actually so defensive, like just relax lol...

The 2 games were from over 3 years ago, even then both 2 games were under 80% TOG.
So you’re saying that in 3 preseasons he’s been unable to improve his endurance then?

Just trying to follow your logic.

Back