Game Day GWS Giants v Swans FEB 27th: Scratch Match **LIVE STREAM SAT 27th FEB 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Green has been willing with some very neat touches, hope he's locked for the starting side now. Tanner Bruhn has shown a few touches, hope he gets a few games to show his wares. Riccardi has been neat - with Jesse out injured surely Jake is a lock. HH & Finlayson have been their usual selves - very mobile, Finlayson a lot of ruck time; so you'd think Riccardi-HH-Finlayson as the tall forward setup will start the year. Dan Lloyd solid again, will probably start the year in the team if Binga is injured.

Cumming & Perryman have been taking the majority of kick-ins, each with a couple of long kicks & you would think those two are planned in the backline. Bunts has been OK, but I still hope we're looking to youth. Keeffe has been solid. Haven't really seen much of Idun - if he's supposedly in the mix for round 1 I would have hoped he was more prominent. Maybe I've just missed what he's done with the limited camera work?

Cogs has looked in good touch out there too, with some long disposals, so fingers crossed he's poised to bounce back to good form. Josh Kelly looking smooth too.

As others have said, lots to like in the early stages.

[Edit: Just checked & Bobby Hill is not listed as playing today.]

Tom Green has been willing with some very neat touches, hope he's locked for the starting side now. Tanner Bruhn has shown a few touches, hope he gets a few games to show his wares. Riccardi has been neat - with Jesse out injured surely Jake is a lock. HH & Finlayson have been their usual selves - very mobile, Finlayson a lot of ruck time; so you'd think Riccardi-HH-Finlayson as the tall forward setup will start the year. Dan Lloyd solid again, will probably start the year in the team if Binga is injured.

Cumming & Perryman have been taking the majority of kick-ins, each with a couple of long kicks & you would think those two are planned in the backline. Bunts has been OK, but I still hope we're looking to youth. Keeffe has been solid. Haven't really seen much of Idun - if he's supposedly in the mix for round 1 I would have hoped he was more prominent. Maybe I've just missed what he's done with the limited camera work?

Cogs has looked in good touch out there too, with some long disposals, so fingers crossed he's poised to bounce back to good form. Josh Kelly looking smooth too.

Bobby isnt playing, have no idea why.

Or give 1 of the young players a task, mind you by the time Leon reads how ideas the Swans will take off Paps to rest up for next week

Phil Davis talking about Callan Ward doing some relief rucking to assist Flynn rather than bring for example Briggs into the forward line. Also impressed with Cumming & Idun in the race for backline roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of my thoughts and I don't think the poor conditions and also camera work made for good viewing but poor in the mids too easily dominated by the Swans and giving them too much space, tall forwards not contesting hard enough and also slow ball movement from the backline at stages which to me indicates not enough movement forward of the ball and a lack of experience too take the right decision
Hogan injury does hurt but it takes out the 4 tall forwards as an option which is good

Things I liked
Cumming looks ready to play as a permanent member of the back 6
Bruhn should debut in rd1
Kelly looks to be back to his best, he just needs to play in his preferred position (part around the contest part wing)
Flynn although not a star should be ok as a ruck although only a pre season hit out

Hope to see serious improvement next week

Players missing

Injured
Whitfield, Hogan, Daniels, Preuss, Kennedy

Concussion
Hill, Angwin

Rehab group
Davis, Briggs (I think?)

Unknown
Reid

Did Stone and Fleeton make it on in the 3rd or 4th quarter?

Not ready
Shaw Wehr Brown Will likely have played in the last 2 quarters

Any other reserves or academy players likely to have seen game time in the non televised part of the game?

Great write up mate. Thanks for that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some journalists' impressions from the game ...

Dewy conditions in Sydney made for a scrappy contest between the Giants and Swans — a contest that bizarrely ended in a draw. The match appeared to end in a one-point win to the Swans before it was clarified that the troublesome scoreboard had one final trick up its sleeve, with the match finishing at 54 points apiece.

Josh Kelly’s use for the Giants was impressive as usual, while high-profile draftee Tanner Bruhn looked to offer an extra dose of speed to the midfield mix for Leon Cameron.

GWS GIANTS

We saw glimpses of Tom Green’s potential during 2020, but he looks set to skyrocket in 2021 judging by his performance on Saturday. Green was a contested ball winning machine against the Swans, more than holding his own against veteran grunt players like Josh Kennedy. The rising star award may not be as clear cut as we thought if the former Pick 10 manages to continue with the stellar form he showed first up.

Another learning from the match – Callan Ward could become a makeshift ruckman … seriously! The 30-year-old competed in several contests to help preserve the energy of young tall Matthew Flynn, which you’d suspect will continue while Braydon Preuss recovers from shoulder surgery. A Shaun Grigg style role is on the cards for Ward during at least the opening stages of the 2021 season.

GWS GIANTS

Last year’s Pick No.12 Tanner Bruhn looked to compliment the Giants’ attacking setup in a big way, adding speed and agility to the midfield / half-forward mix. He showed plenty of promise and kicked a great goal on the run to cap off an impressive performance.

Second-year midfielder Tom Green is looming as one of the breakout young players of 2021 after a brilliant performance through the middle, winning a heap of contested ball.

Matthew Flynn was already a Round 1 bolter by virtue of shoulder surgery to fellow tall Braydon Preuss, but the Giants Academy graduate all but sealed his spot after a brilliant effort against veteran ruckman Tom Hickey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back