Autopsy GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles 23/8/20 8.10pm (Eastern) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Cogs was pretty horrible yesterday. He burnt outside runners to hack kick forward so often... it caused so many turnovers!

in all, we actually took it up to them for most of the game and showed some significant improvement. The first half of the first quarter waa still pretty even but they took their chances and we didn’t which blew out the score

overall a prettt unsurprising result

Cogs was pretty horrible yesterday.
Not according to the afl.com.au report - was in the best:

Greater Western Sydney: Kelly, Riccardi, Whitfield, Coniglio, Perryman

This approach to deciding best players is commonly known as "the cursory 1 min look at the disposals sheet"

Not according to the afl.com.au report - was in the best:

Greater Western Sydney: Kelly, Riccardi, Whitfield, Coniglio, Perryman

This approach to deciding best players is commonly known as "the cursory 1 min look at the disposals sheet"

Greene, Hopper should've been in front of him then

We will go with 3 possible reasons

1. Lead the Clanger count

2. Lead the Frees Against count

3. He made 1 tackle which is just brilliant stuff :rolleyes:

I could def see us trying to move the ball faster this week which was a positive. Partly stiffled due to our own forward setup but also credit where it’s due, the defensive set up of west coast was superb.

if anyone rewatches the game take note of the three row zone they use. It’s a great system
Which means they always have numbers at the ball but can cover the next contest.

and obviously McGovern is one of the best defenders of this era of football and he had a day out yesterday

I could def see us trying to move the ball faster this week which was a positive.
After the 1st half we were. Same garbage in the 1st 2 quarters.

Partly stiffled due to our own forward setup but also credit where it’s due, the defensive set up of west coast was superb.

Would help if our mids kicked to a lead instead of on or over the fwds heads.

After the 1st half we were. Same garbage in the 1st 2 quarters.

Would help if our mids kicked to a lead instead of on or over the fwds heads.
While I think your comments are fair, we are also never going to play perfect football. West coast bombed it long to1:1 contests regularly but they have those tall marking forwards in form. Ours aren’t. No doubt some of those entries are rushed and we had plenty of skill errors. I wonder how much the training limits this year have hurt our disposal

. West coast bombed it long to1:1 contests regularly but they have those tall marking forwards in form. Ours aren’t.
Part of the reason Riccardi stood out. HH not strong overhead, likes to take chest marks, even when elevated. Always looks off balance overhead and often flaps at incoming ball 1 handed.
Cameron is not great overhead, and presently can't get out the back coz he's rarely 1 on 1. Really, he's in a form slump.
That leaves Toby taking more overhead marks than our other forwards.
Riccardi hopefully continues that form next week. It felt like Jonny Patton was out on the field again.

Will 10 wins be the cutoff this year?
On a separate note, our injury list would appear to be the best it’s been for a while. With any luck we will just have Taylor, Ward and Hutchesson.
Be interesting to see if DeBoer comes back to play on Fyfe.
Maybe Ward out, De Boer in?

Will 10 wins be the cutoff this year?

10 wins will probably be the cutoff, but because our percentage sucks we'd likely miss out. 11 wins seems to be an effective guarantee because if we win out the most the various teams can reach would be:
  • Collingwood, 11.5
  • St Kilda, 11
  • Dogs, 11
  • GWS, 11
  • Melbourne, 10
  • Carlton 10
And chances are some combination of the Pies (two games against top 4), Saints (one game against top 4), and Dogs (two games against top 4) will drop at least one game.

Honestly though, it boils down to expecting us to beat all of Fremantle, Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda, all within a game or two of us on the ladder. I can't see it. Whoever we lose to likely takes one of the last couple of spots in the finals.

10 wins will probably be the cutoff, but because our percentage sucks we'd likely miss out. 11 wins seems to be an effective guarantee because if we win out the most the various teams can reach would be:
  • Collingwood, 11.5
  • St Kilda, 11
  • Dogs, 11
  • GWS, 11
  • Melbourne, 10
  • Carlton 10
And chances are some combination of the Pies (two games against top 4), Saints (one game against top 4), and Dogs (two games against top 4) will drop at least one game.

Honestly though, it boils down to expecting us to beat all of Fremantle, Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda, all within a game or two of us on the ladder. I can't see it. Whoever we lose to likely takes one of the last couple of spots in the finals.
And we play Adelaide too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we play Adelaide too.
Wouldn't that be our 2020 season to a tee? Win all four games against those we have to beat and lose to Adelaide. After all we've already lost to Sydney and NM.

Daniel Lloyd is a very dependable goal kicker. Last night's goal was clutch. It started our mini-comeback after Hill and Riccardi both fluffed chances. In these low scoring games, he's good value.
I'm almost prepared to say he's the best set shot kick I've seen in the last 10-15 years. Just nails shot after shot from all types of positions/distances.

I'm almost prepared to say he's the best set shot kick I've seen in the last 10-15 years. Just nails shot after shot from all types of positions/distances.
Lloyd has so many great attributes; he is a beautiful kick of the footy. If he could find another 5-6 touches a game he’d be a very good footballer.

Part of the reason Riccardi stood out. HH not strong overhead, likes to take chest marks, even when elevated. Always looks off balance overhead and often flaps at incoming ball 1 handed.
Cameron is not great overhead, and presently can't get out the back coz he's rarely 1 on 1. Really, he's in a form slump.
That leaves Toby taking more overhead marks than our other forwards.
Riccardi hopefully continues that form next week. It felt like Jonny Patton was out on the field again.
Spot on. West coasts first quarter was a display of exactly what are key forwards are not. Leading at the ball and taking one grab contested marks. It is incredibly hard to stop and it’s how you break down zone defences.

HH Just flaps and doing he best impersonation of a step ladder.

There was a couple of times where the ball was in the air and bobby & HH were in the vicinity and it was Hill that was trying to bring the ball to ground not HH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back