Autopsy GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles, Round 8, Spotless Stadium, Saturday 12th May 2018, 1.45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

At least 4 of their goals directly from terrible turnovers... that’s the game right there. Davis and Haynes should never take risky kicks.

Whitfield one of few to really lower the eyes and kick to a player. Finlayson, tomlinson and haynes big culprits for the directionless long bomb to the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitfield one of few to really lower the eyes and kick to a player. Finlayson, tomlinson and haynes big culprits for the directionless long bomb to the opposition.
I'd like to be critical of them but we're just so stagnant ahead of the ball over and over again. They literally have nothing to go to because half the team is slowly jogging up with their heads down and the other half don't try and generate seperation.

We just keep playing to our weaknesses - seeking contact in the marking contest when we're not good contested marks, not having a man front and centre when we're not really trying to mark anyway, not playing on quickly when it's how we get a roll on - the long lamented Orange Tsunami, etc.

I’m worried that Phil won’t play. I sit beside the race. He had no idea where he was. No De Boer. Man, who else?
Too disruptive with people coming back in. Getting used to each other.
Players appear unsure of themselves.

Whitfield and Taranto both increase my respect for them.

Hopper looked good.

Shiel is playing one handball too close to the contest, stopping him from using his speed away from the contest.

God we miss Kelly and Scully.

I'd like to be critical of them but we're just so stagnant ahead of the ball over and over again. They literally have nothing to go to because half the team is slowly jogging up with their heads down and the other half don't try and generate seperation.

We just keep playing to our weaknesses - seeking contact in the marking contest when we're not good contested marks, not having a man front and centre when we're not really trying to mark anyway, not playing on quickly when it's how we get a roll on - the long lamented Orange Tsunami, etc.

This is my biggest issue at present, Leon threw the baby out with the bath water because Richmond won a flag with 1 key fwd and a bunch of smalls. The tsunami worked, teams couldnt defend it, we had 3 big fwds in Patton, Lobb and Jezza who all complimented one another, we just needed the right small fwds with them and Langdon was probably it. But instead we are trying to copy other coaches tactics and failing badly.

This is my biggest issue at present, Leon threw the baby out with the bath water because Richmond won a flag with 1 key fwd and a bunch of smalls. The tsunami worked, teams couldnt defend it, we had 3 big fwds in Patton, Lobb and Jezza who all complimented one another, we just needed the right small fwds with them and Langdon was probably it. But instead we are trying to copy other coaches tactics and failing badly.
I don't even think we are - we're still playing Cameron, Keeffe and Himmelberg - that's the same three tall setup.

I reckon when we are moving the ball out from a neutral position we should try and change the angles of entry rather than purely bombing it down the wings hoping for a contested mark which isnt one of our strengths at the moment. If we can spread the players out a bit and switch more, maybe we can direct our balls lower to a leading forward and they can have a better chance of taking chest marks in the forward 50. Since at the moment all our talls are literally predictably bunched up 30m in front of goal every time (negating each other's chances of marking) and we honestly are just hoping for the best. Of course, that might mean the forwards need to run a bit more to lead in different directions to prevent running into each other and so our primary ball movers have multiple options.

Then on the rebound I agree our forwards are often still jogging back and our mids who can dash out of defence have no viable choices. Maybe then we should camp one tall forward inside the forward 50 arc permanently, maybe Jezza/Himmelberg for now and more preferably the less mobile Patton when he gets back into some form. If they have 2 on one, the tall forward can either lead hard or our high half fwds and mids have the choice to run it in through with handballs and frenetic running like we used to in 2016. Most options are better than just bombing it long towards nothing. But this way, at the very least we have a target up forward with a paddock to lead into or a 50-50 marking contest.

We might not have the same running power as we did due to injuries, but we cant keep playing the same game plan when we clearly do not have the personnel required to do so. Leon needs to change our game plan to get the best out of the group we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back