Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow .............................................
Just Wow

Clearly intoxicated when this was decided on.
There was a time when he had the lion with the curly antlery looking bit but no owl. That was probably the worst stage I’ve seen it in, used to call it a butterflion.

Revisionary history going on there.
Silvagni designed you list from the ground up and it has stood the test of time.
Player retention goes to Gill who has managed to keep your better players there.

From the ground up? He had nothing to do with the original 17yo selections. With an incredible hand he got some good players in but was also terribly wasteful. Delighted to have Caruso over him.

I called Plowman a mile out, should be in mine and Chris25’s phantoms that year I think. He was the right choice for GWS. Ahern was a good pick, absolute gun in his junior year and could’ve gone a few picks higher. You guys didn’t know he was gonna do his knee twice.

I agree with you about Jaksch and O’Rourke, wasn’t that big on them at all.
Hindsight will show Plowman, like Marchbank, isn't a very good footballer and was a clear mistake by Stibbard, and his underling, Stephen Silvagni. Ahern, Marchbank, Pickett and McKenna are all on Silvagni.

Hindsight will show Plowman, like Marchbank, isn't a very good footballer and was a clear mistake by Stibbard, and his underling, Stephen Silvagni. Ahern, Marchbank, Pickett and McKenna are all on Silvagni.

But... but... SOS is amazing dont you know?

I find it funny that 12 months after Carlton fans proclaiming he was the second coming of christ he was unceremoniously dumped.

From the ground up? He had nothing to do with the original 17yo selections. With an incredible hand he got some good players in but was also terribly wasteful. Delighted to have Caruso over him.
I've been very happy with what Caruso has done, especially with the mid range/later picks.
Daniels and Taylor in the late 30's are proving terrific.
Idun and Zac Langdon late in the draft seem useful.
The early picks all seem pretty astute at this stage as well.

Plowman wasn't a bad pick or a mistake; he's no star but a solid footballer who will retire a 150+ game player.

There were better players taken after him, but it's incredibly simplistic and completely ignorant to suggest he was a bad pick as a result.

But... but... SOS is amazing dont you know?

I find it funny that 12 months after Carlton fans proclaiming he was the second coming of christ he was unceremoniously dumped.

Pretty strange thing to find funny, TBH.

I'd suggest his performance wasn't the reason why he's no longer at the club, but this argument will be lost on you.

Plowman wasn't a bad pick or a mistake; he's no star but a solid footballer who will retire a 150+ game player.

There were better players taken after him, but it's incredibly simplistic and completely ignorant to suggest he was a bad pick as a result.

There were better looking players taken after him, but really not that many better players that perform weekly.
It was a surprisingly shallow draft if you really look at it fairly. Macrae, Wines and Grundy are the only players, clearly superior to Plowman and under the terms I listed above.

2012 was a terrible draft year but Plowman was far from a terrible pick for GWS although if they had their time again, it's really only Grundy that would have made the difference.

EDIT - And look what post pops up as I was writing mine :)

I know he wasn’t the only one but passing over Grundy goodness knows how many times is surely on Silvangni, and now they still need a long term ruck.

He missed on Grundy for sure.

Would love to know whether Brodie made it clear he wasn't keen on being drafted to the Giants, which I reckon was more common over their first few years than people may realize.

He missed on Grundy for sure.

Would love to know whether Brodie made it clear he wasn't keen on being drafted to the Giants, which I reckon was more common over their first few years than people may realize.

Surely after the first 2-3 picks and he’s still there in the teens you just say “well stuff that I’m taking him anyway”. Could understand taking the players wanting to be there at the pointy end but not in the teens take the best available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely after the first 2-3 picks and he’s still there in the teens you just say “well stuff that I’m taking him anyway”. Could understand taking the players wanting to be there at the pointy end but not in the teens take the best available

No, I would suggest at that early stage of setting up a club you focus almost entirely on those who you think are a chance of remaining at the club long-term.

No, I would suggest at that early stage of setting up a club you focus almost entirely on those who you think are a chance of remaining at the club long-term.

They had that many in the first round you should take a punt on a ruck when you needed one and still do. It was a howler at the time and it’s even worse now

They had that many in the first round you should take a punt on a ruck when you needed one and still do. It was a howler at the time and it’s even worse now

Again, there are many things behind closed doors that us fans are not privy to that may have been a significant factor here. I have raised one.

Of course it looks a howler now given Grundy's quality but he's not the first or the last player to slide in the draft.

This thread is in danger of drifting well off-topic into a SOSage fight. Unfortunately people tend to hold black and white views on things (he's crap/he's great) when IMHO the reality is more nuanced/grey. Suffice to say that my view is that SOS's past selections for GWS were neither as fabulous as some would make out (and strangely they are mostly not GWS posters) but not as completely crap as others have said. However, I do think his overall hit rate (which needs to exclude the 17 year old selections and 2011 draft) is below par when you look at the whole picture (including position of where some players were taken).

I think that not selecting Grundy in 2012 with any of 2, 3, 12 or 14 was clearly a massive fail - especially as posters have noted it's still a problem position for GWS!

In terms of 2019 draft, I think that most GWS fans are content with what occurred. We probably paid Adelaide overs to acquire pick 4, but given that quibbling over the details can completely kybosh a trade (as per the reports on the failed Adelaide/Carlton trade) it was as straightforward as we could make it. I think that GWS are cognisant of the talent on its list that might not want to stay (for varying reasons including homesickness & better opportunity) and so not having a first round pick in the 2020 ND is next year's problem that may present a ready-made solution. Effectively we brought forward next year's first round pick to this year, and Ash definitely fills a need while Green presents an opportunity. Overall, plenty of talent on the list and acquired in 2019, so no excuses on the list/talent aspect.

There were better looking players taken after him, but really not that many better players that perform weekly.
It was a surprisingly shallow draft if you really look at it fairly. Macrae, Wines and Grundy are the only players, clearly superior to Plowman and under the terms I listed above.

2012 was a terrible draft year but Plowman was far from a terrible pick for GWS although if they had their time again, it's really only Grundy that would have made the difference.

EDIT - And look what post pops up as I was writing mine :)

Think i would take Nick Vlastuin over Plowman every day of the week

I know he wasn’t the only one but passing over Grundy goodness knows how many times is surely on Silvangni, and now they still need a long term ruck.

Hindsight is quite easy.

In 2012 GWS had all of Brogan, Giles, Phillips, Downie, 2 of which we’re developing at the time. How many clubs hold 3 ruckmen under 20, or 5 on a list?

Sure. Fair enough given the record.

On the other hand though had Richmond have had Plowman and not Vlaustin, I'm not sure the record would be any worse.
Vlastuin is a gun player and is not given enough credit for his work, With Grimes,Astbury,Houli & Rance in that Backline he gets over looked
Whilst different player to Docherty is to Carlton Tigga is considered in that range with the informed Richmond supporters.

I wouldnt trade him for a top 5 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back