GWS Grand Final - 2020 ramifications

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the part that I find most fascinating, my club in 2009 & yours in 2013 are examples of carrying it forward in a positive way & making sure it righted the previous year.....Adelaide of 2018 represents the exact wrong way to deal with it, by fracturing the player group instead of closing in together....I actually think they will bounce back okay, the leaders in Ward, Cogs & Davis are a pretty solid trio with alot of character...Hard to not see them being there come Prelim weekend given a fair run with injury.
Other examples in the past....

Hawks got bleted by essendon by 83 points in the 1985 grand final and they beat carlton in 1986.

West Coast lost the 1991 grand final by 53 points and won a grand final in 1992. But that was still a young side.

Everyone needs to stop getting so angry at teams who get smashed in a GF and trying to retrospectively discuss the season prior to that final in some sort of enlightened way based off of one game.

If you find yourself doing that remove yourself from the gene pool to ensure it's future integrity.

Would make sense Adelaide supporters don't want to talk about getting smacked by Richmond in a gf.

Still hurts hey buddy?

MFC were worse in 2000 GF. They didn’t put up a fight from the get go and just jogged around all day looking completely disinterested in competing.
It was a truely pathetic performance.

Yeah> Last time i checked the most fight we put up that game was when Schwarz remonstrated after your dirty Michael Long KO'd defenceless Troy Simmonds. ( Play the Pill Long, you ******* Hasbeeen)

So your mighty 21-1 side only won by 10 goals because we didn't have any interest in competing. Gee, I wonder what would have happened if we tried to beat you guys? I knew you guys overrated the 2000 side, very lucky that we felt lazy on the day.

This is the part that I find most fascinating, my club in 2009 & yours in 2013 are examples of carrying it forward in a positive way & making sure it righted the previous year.....Adelaide of 2018 represents the exact wrong way to deal with it, by fracturing the player group instead of closing in together....I actually think they will bounce back okay, the leaders in Ward, Cogs & Davis are a pretty solid trio with alot of character...Hard to not see them being there come Prelim weekend given a fair run with injury.
Difference is that Hawks and Cats were dynasty type teams with sensational leadership. GWS tends to be a bit flaky - they mail it in at times. But they will have a full list and a massive amount of talent so I just can't see them missing the top 4 either.

We would of lost Jezza and quite a few others if we landed buddy.
Plus we wouldn't of gotten Mummy or Shaw.

Best thing to happen to the club was to not land Buddy.

That's like us with trelor. If we had of got him, we would have missed out on Rioli, caddy, Prestia and nankervios

That's like us with trelor. If we had of got him, we would have missed out on Rioli, caddy, Prestia and nankervios
Subsequently, Lynch may have been a Collingwood pick-up instead, with Prestia and Caddy being old mates of his and no doubt influential in his move to Punt Rd.

I wouldn’t right these guys off too early. The core group got routinely pumped by 100 points the first few years. They didn’t pack it in. They worked hard and improved. With not many injuries they will come back several levels higher. A big loss doesn’t phase them one bit.

Difference is that Hawks and Cats were dynasty type teams with sensational leadership. GWS tends to be a bit flaky - they mail it in at times. But they will have a full list and a massive amount of talent so I just can't see them missing the top 4 either.
Cats were flaky up until 2007. They had a bunch of talented players who were largely all entering, or in, their prime. Hawks three peat, they were about the oldest list around. Dynasty happens if you have a core group of very good players who can stick it out together. Have good role players around them. Have a decent game plan.

Apparently they've been so devastated that they may not be able to take the field this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If no flag this year, then GWS faces a bleak decade ahead in that their cap is packed full with multiple players on 7 year million dollar deal. This will push out a lot of the excellent 2nd tier players. It will be a feeding frenzy in this year's trade. Reading between the lines, GWS is handing out multiple 7 year deals to players they can keep.

If no flag this year, then GWS faces a bleak decade ahead in that their cap is packed full with multiple players on 7 year million dollar deal. This will push out a lot of the excellent 2nd tier players. It will be a feeding frenzy in this year's trade. Reading between the lines, GWS is handing out multiple 7 year deals to players they can keep.

Maybe true, but the financial effects of losing a season will make one club's salary cap issues look like chicken feed.

Between the AFL & clubs, losses will probably amount to hundreds of millions. Clubs going bankrupt is a very real possibility, and the AFL itself will be in enough trouble that it wont be able to save them.

Maybe true, but the financial effects of losing a season will make one club's salary cap issues look like chicken feed.

Between the AFL & clubs, losses will probably amount to hundreds of millions. Clubs going bankrupt is a very real possibility, and the AFL itself will be in enough trouble that it wont be able to save them.

Those that can cut cost the best will be better off...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back