Votes: 85 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
When do the afl try break into Newcastle and by extension the Hunter region? Doubt anyone over there really cares but it’s a natural step to make with the population.
That would be another huge black hole for the game alongside the suns and gws, and the game can't afford it

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
That would be another huge black hole for the game alongside the suns and gws, and the game can't afford it
The Suns are fine where they are and QLD participation is at an all time high. They'll be ok but I am unsure about the Giants.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
You probably could, but in 20 or 30 years, I expect GWS crowds will be bigger than Tasmania's.

And that's the whole point of the Giants.

Yes that was the 'hope' I guess.

Given the Olympic Park (Giants) Stadium has a capacity of 24k, they have a way to go before it gets filled each week!!!

If Tasmania has UTas at 27k to start with, it'll make for an interesting comparison, perhaps.

We should hope for all our sakes that the AFL get somewhere near that mark.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes that was the 'hope' I guess.

Given the Olympic Park (Giants) Stadium has a capacity of 24k, they have a way to go before it gets filled each week!!!

If Tasmania has UTas at 27k to start with, it'll make for an interesting comparison, perhaps.

We should hope for all our sakes that the AFL get somewhere near that mark.

GWS definitely has a way to go, but they've got 19k paying Sydney-based members (more than most Sydney NRL clubs) it's just changing the culture to actually attend.

I actually think it'd be better if Tasmania's stadium isn't immediately ready. An upgrade or temporary seating and it'd be packed for a few years, then when the new stadium comes in you'd get an Adelaide Oval-like boost

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
GWS definitely has a way to go, but they've got 19k paying Sydney-based members (more than most Sydney NRL clubs) it's just changing the culture to actually attend.

I actually think it'd be better if Tasmania's stadium isn't immediately ready. An upgrade or temporary seating and it'd be packed for a few years, then when the new stadium comes in you'd get an Adelaide Oval-like boost

If the licence is granted, Utas will be refurbished first, its tin stands will be re[aced with modernised & permanent facilities. 27k is the envisaged capacity.

Lord knows what'll happen in Hobart. The Bellerive site would struggle to accommodate much over 22k even with some additions.

However Is definitely sounds like a new stadium will be built next to the city. Macquarie point & 'Regatta Point' are only a couple of hundred metres apart. One would think the maximum would be 27k whichever site is built.

They'd have probably 4 years to complete the planning & build.

The Hobart City Council want to be part of the project. The council who say NO to just about everything can get stuffed!!!

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Not to mention that the Gold Coast started out as being just about the strongest aussie rules area outside of the traditional states.
So my expectation was always that the Gold Coast would do better than GWS.
If GWS can keep up with the Gold Coast, that is a fantastic outcome for the league.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That word potential again hey absolutely no certainty with anything to do with gws

Geez you're anti-GWS.

Everything in the future is about potential, including Tasmania. You can't really s**t on GWS' "potential", because that's all Tasmania is right now.

The difference is that GWS has way more potential than Tasmania.

I fully expect Tasmania will have immediately higher crowds than GWS, but where do they go from there? If they get a 27k stadium and managed to average 25k, that's the peak. It's not going up, excluding premierships, interest isn't likely to exceed that high. If anything, the novelty is likely to slightly fade and crowds will probably drop to average ~22k. Which is perfectly fine.

GWS is doing a bit s**t now, they were doing alright, but as I mentioned, they've got more Sydney-based members than most NRL teams, and will keep chipping away. The AFL planned them as a generational project.

I'm pro-Tasmania and pro-GWS. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the licence is granted, Utas will be refurbished first, its tin stands will be re[aced with modernised & permanent facilities. 27k is the envisaged capacity.

Lord knows what'll happen in Hobart. The Bellerive site would struggle to accommodate much over 22k even with some additions.

However Is definitely sounds like a new stadium will be built next to the city. Macquarie point & 'Regatta Point' are only a couple of hundred metres apart. One would think the maximum would be 27k whichever site is built.

They'd have probably 4 years to complete the planning & build.

The Hobart City Council want to be part of the project. The council who say NO to just about everything can get stuffed!!!

Will 27k be enough?

There'd be higher demand than supply initially, but do you think long-term it'd be enough?

Those new Hobart models looked like they'd be pretty static in their design, especially if they get a roof. There wouldn't really be much room to expand like the horseshoe designs like Adelaide Oval, Metricon, and Giants Stadium have.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will 27k be enough?

There'd be higher demand than supply initially, but do you think long-term it'd be enough?

Those new Hobart models looked like they'd be pretty static in their design, especially if they get a roof. There wouldn't really be much room to expand like the horseshoe designs like Adelaide Oval, Metricon, and Giants Stadium have.

I think that'd be enough.

It'd be best to look pretty full most of the time, than pretty empty. ;)

GWS 24k looks pretty empty. Not a good look. Maybe they should play some low drawing games at Blacktown (10k)

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

GWS 24k looks pretty empty. Not a good look. Maybe they should play some low drawing games at Blacktown (10k)

True. Keep the demand high and you might even get an in-the-wings waiting list like West Coast.

I had raised playing at Blacktown, especially as it's closer to a bunch of fans, but it wasn't received positively. I think it's just a bit of an effort to get there and the facilities are a bit mediocre.

The idea I have for Showgrounds Stadium is similar to what the Whitecaps (Major League Soccer) do in Vancouver (below). It reduces capacity from 54k to 22k. Something similar covering the top stands at Giants Stadium could reduce capacity to about 15k (my guess). It could make it feel more intimate, and they could be used as advertising or done in GWS colours/slogans. Have a giant "Never Surrender" down one side.

Tying them to the front of the top stands to the front of the ceiling would create a more slight incline, so it wouldn't be as all-encompassing as the picture, but it should also not interfere with lighting or corporate/media boxes.

BC-Place-Vancouver-Whitecaps-FC (1).jpg

You don't fill the stadiums now.
There will be good attendances in the first year because of the novelty factor.
After that it could dive like the Western Reds in Perth.
Which is an odd comparison - because it's a completely different scenario to potential crowds with a Tasmanian team playing.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

I suspect Blacktown doesn't have the corporate facilities, but I reckon there are worse ideas than moving a couple of Manuka games to Blacktown.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Of coarse we don’t fill the stadiums now as they are fifo clubs with no connection to the state whatsoever one of them north are one of the smallest drawing clubs in the comp and comparing us to another code is laughable

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which is an odd comparison -

It's not a comparison - it's an observed fact.

because it's a completely different scenario to potential crowds with a Tasmanian team playing.

Now people so enthusiastic for a Tasmanian team - news flash - it wont be a Tasmanian team.
It'll be a team representing Tasmania but full of AFL players.

Back