• Just be patient?

Votes: 85 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which is an odd comparison - because it's a completely different scenario to potential crowds with a Tasmanian team playing.
Not odd at all, lots of talk of supporters following basketball or soccer, maybe lots have already left to do that.

They may fill a stadium if they get their own team, it's still a risk though from the hate you hear.

I heard many threats of supporters leaving just because of "kicking the can down the road" so maybe there is not the support you think there is.

It's not a comparison - it's an observed fact.

Now people so enthusiastic for a Tasmanian team - news flash - it wont be a Tasmanian team.
It'll be a team representing Tasmania but full of AFL players.
No it's not.

You are using crowds at games not involving a Tasmanian team being an indicator for potential crowds involving a Tasmanian team. The good old chalk and cheese comparison.

As for the second bolded bit, well, yeah, how about that? The Tasmanian team will be structured like every other team in the AFL!

Not odd at all, lots of talk of supporters following basketball or soccer, maybe lots have already left to do that.

They may fill a stadium if they get their own team, it's still a risk though from the hate you hear.

I heard many threats of supporters leaving just because of "kicking the can down the road" so maybe there is not the support you think there is.
Oh lookie, the expert on all things Tasmanian is back. :cool:

WOFTAMWarrior

Debutant
Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Speaking with someone involved with the Giants a few years ago their marketing is designed to capture the next generation of supporters. Like building a baseball diamond in a corn field. They will come.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh lookie, the expert on all things Tasmanian is back. :cool:
Great reply.

I have an Idea you post more about this than I do, we could check, that would probably make you a hypocrite.

Me, I can only go from what I hear and see here, many saying they will just follow basketball or soccer, if I was the AFL and was also hearing this, would make me wonder if they are a fickle bunch and is it worth the risk.

Tassie are not going to benifit the AFL in a big way, so why bother if they hate it anyway.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Speaking with someone involved with the Giants a few years ago their marketing is designed to capture the next generation of supporters. Like building a baseball diamond in a corn field. They will come.
No they won’t, all the kids growing up in that area will aspire to be like the hero’s in their communities

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I read something yesterday that Cronulla stadium only holds 11k. That's what gws should be looking at, a stadium that holds about that.

I do remember when both them and the suns came into the competition though I was thinking 'gee 24k that won't be enough, but they probably want it intimate and full which is a good idea'. Which kind of shows both clubs are well below expectations of both supporters and the AFL.

Ideally showgrounds would demolish all the second tiers it would look much better, but clearly never going to happen, so yeah the tarps on the second level seats should definitely be done at a minimum.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I read something yesterday that Cronulla stadium only holds 11k. That's what gws should be looking at, a stadium that holds about that.

I do remember when both them and the suns came into the competition though I was thinking 'gee 24k that won't be enough, but they probably want it intimate and full which is a good idea'. Which kind of shows both clubs are well below expectations of both supporters and the AFL.

Ideally showgrounds wat least play some ould demolish all the second tiers it would look much better, but clearly never going to happen, so yeah the tarps on the second level seats should definitely be done at a minimum.

I mentioned they could play some of the lower drawing games at Blacktown Oval. It has a 10k capacity.

I mentioned they could play some of the lower drawing games at Blacktown Oval. It has a 10k capacity.
Depends if the AFL is happy with multiple games per season being played at a ground where the majority of the crowd won't be under cover and/or seated.

Last edited:
Great reply.

I have an Idea you post more about this than I do, we could check, that would probably make you a hypocrite.

Me, I can only go from what I hear and see here, many saying they will just follow basketball or soccer, if I was the AFL and was also hearing this, would make me wonder if they are a fickle bunch and is it worth the risk.

Tassie are not going to benifit the AFL in a big way, so why bother if they hate it anyway.
Really? You don't seem to take on board what those who are pro-Tasmanian side say - you're only interested in views that feed your existing opinion about a Tasmanian team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play 11 games in Western Sydney. This Canberra arrangement is pointless. It's a very long-term bet and a necessary one.
100%.

Currently they are the GWS-ACT Giants, when they were initially marketed as a Western Sydney team.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really? You don't seem to take on board what those who are pro-Tasmanian side say - you're only interested in views that feed your existing opinion about a Tasmanian team.
Hahaha, you haven't even asked what I want, that would make you a bit of a DH.

If I weighed up for and against, I would say I am in favour of a team in Tassie, but the negative reactions to the AFL on this board is staggering, it is bordering on hatred.

Look at it this way, let's say club people see what is said, threats of following another sport, the hatred toward the AFL, they go talk to their presidents about it, how do you think the vote goes, does it sway their thinking.

This may never happen, but it may.

Once your in, teams don't get kicked out, so your in for a long time, so it is a risk.

Hahaha, you haven't even asked what I want, that would make you a bit of a DH.

If I weighed up for and against, I would say I am in favour of a team in Tassie, but the negative reactions to the AFL on this board is staggering, it is bordering on hatred.

Look at it this way, let's say club people see what is said, threats of following another sport, the hatred toward the AFL, they go talk to their presidents about it, how do you think the vote goes, does it sway their thinking.

This may never happen, but it may.

Once your in, teams don't get kicked out, so your in for a long time, so it is a risk.
You are a non-Tasmanian who can't for a minute try to understand what it is like to be an actual Tasmanian when it comes to views on both Tassie football in general and also a Tassie AFL side. And also regarding views towards the AFL for that matter. And you don't seem the slightest bit willing to try to understand.

You don't listen to the actual Tasmanians here who support a team and know the game in Tassie, and, even worse, you take the views of a minority when it comes to talking points to suit your views - eg tell me how many people here have actually said they won't follow the game any more if Tassie doesn't get a team. Ten? And I'm being generous with that number.

You're a (presumably Victorian) supporter of a powerhouse team in the AFL, no wonder you don't get it. But that shouldn't stop you from trying to.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are a non-Tasmanian who can't for a minute try to understand what it is like to be an actual Tasmanian when it comes to views on both Tassie football in general and also a Tassie AFL side. And also regarding views towards the AFL for that matter. And you don't seem the slightest bit willing to try to understand.

You don't listen to the actual Tasmanians here who support a team and know the game in Tassie, and, even worse, you take the views of a minority when it comes to talking points to suit your views - eg tell me how many people here have actually said they won't follow the game any more if Tassie doesn't get a team. Ten? And I'm being generous with that number.

You're a (presumably Victorian) supporter of a powerhouse team in the AFL, no wonder you don't get it. But that shouldn't stop you from trying to.
Maybe I don't get it, what I do get though is, you are trying to get a team in the AFL, who for the most time have rejected anything you have put up.

You have supporters saying they will leave, you say 10 (now who is the know all) supporters who actually hate the AFL, now lets say only 10 here, but how many others are out there?
You are trying to convince the AFL to finally change their minds and give you a team, whether I get it or not, that is the truth, threats don't win votes.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
You are using crowds at games not involving a Tasmanian team being an indicator for potential crowds involving a Tasmanian team.

Hawthorn actually have "Tasmania" on their jumpers.

The Tasmanian team will be structured like every other team in the AFL!

Yes exactly - with stuff all Tasmanians.
You might even have players from Western Sydney.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not true. they are a measuring stick.
The Swans had no connection to Sydney whilst GWS where a new team.
South Melbourne played the majority of there home games in Sydney for a few seasons prior to actually relocating full time to Sydney so a connection was already there . And how the hell are fifo games in any way a measuring stIck for a local Tasmanian club your clutching at straws

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
South Melbourne played the majority of there home games in Sydney for a few seasons prior to actually relocating full time to Sydney so a connection was already there .

Hawthorn has been playing in Tasmania for much longer.

And how the hell are fifo games in any way a measuring stIck for a local Tasmanian club your clutching at straws

You are delusional to think that being "Tasmanian" is some magic cure-all.
FIFO games are a measuring stick and you'd expect a home grown team to better a FIFO situation
but it's not a gimme is it. Take the rose coloured glasses off and start looking objectively at the probabilities.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
South Melbourne played the majority of there home games in Sydney for a few seasons prior to actually relocating full time to Sydney so a connection was already there . And how the hell are fifo games in any way a measuring stIck for a local Tasmanian club your clutching at straws
I don't think South Melbourne played many games in Sydney at all, maybe a couple, but the AFL did play a fair few games in Sydney over the years, they tested the waters you could say.

Back