Remove this Banner Ad

WillHayward

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
GWS is a fantasy fever dream. The actual fans and TV numbers are zero.

Same people who think we need to "be patient" with GWS also think the AFL can can take over LA and China. Same parochial mentality for those pipe dream ideas.

Its the sports equivalent of colonialism and religious missionaries going to exotic places and trying to enforce their "superior" culture on people who don't want them there.

Chuck em in Canberra and get a grip on reality.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well the facts prove you wrong. GWS was tracking well at one stage.
There is nothing mysterious about Western Sydney - it's full of people and people like Australian Football.

Well after 12 years, crowds of 7k in an area of 2million people gives reason for concern.

Its legitimate to ask the question.

Sure, the answer is to give it time. But for many, the concern remains.

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
So it raises the question as to where are these members on match days?

I know a decent number of GWS members who are in their recruiting zone and are up to 800km's from Sydney, and they speak very highly of the work Giants academy is doing in their areas
(Forbes - Wagga - Hay - Condo)

But frankly I think patience is the only real answer here, anyone expecting overnight results is kidding themselves.

Also comparing crowd figures of low drawing Victorian clubs to GWS is silly, they all benefit from somewhere between 10 and 13 games at home against another club from their own state, GWS gets 2. You should expect North/Dogs/Saints to be pulling double the numbers on average that GWS is, which they roughly are.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
GWS is a fantasy fever dream. The actual fans and TV numbers are zero.

Same people who think we need to "be patient" with GWS also think the AFL can can take over LA and China. Same parochial mentality for those pipe dream ideas.

Its the sports equivalent of colonialism and religious missionaries going to exotic places and trying to enforce their "superior" culture on people who don't want them there.

Chuck em in Canberra and get a grip on reality.
Swans took a while.. 8/9k crowds mid 90's

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well after 12 years, crowds of 7k in an area of 2million people gives reason for concern.

The right management and onfield success would hopefully seen a return and betterment of that position.
There is nothing mysterious about Western Sydney - it's full of people and people like Australian Football.
Sydney especially is a winner's town.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The right management and onfield success would hopefully seen a return and betterment of that position.

'Facts, was tracking, hopefully'.

All very convincing.

One does hope & they track well soon.

But none of that is fact.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
So it raises the question as to where are these members on match days?
The 19 k figure is pretty misleading I imagine they would give away a fair few memberships like they do game tickets . the proof was there when they couldn’t even sell all there grand final allocation when they made yet apparently they had 30k members

Sep 6, 2022
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The Giants had reasonable crowds around 2016-19. Were on par with a lot of the Sydney NRL crowds. I think playing at the Olympic Park is a problem because no one wants to go there.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The 19 k figure is pretty misleading I imagine they would give away a fair few memberships like they do game tickets . the proof was there when they couldn’t even sell all there grand final allocation when they made yet apparently they had 30k members

I know, pathetic right?

Can't even get more than half their members, from a famously working class region, to fork out thousands of dollars for tickets, flights and accommodation with a week's notice!

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know, pathetic right?

Can't even get more than half their members, from a famously working class region, to fork out thousands of dollars for tickets, flights and accommodation with a week's notice!
Hence the advantage Melbourne football people have.

After last year when Demon supporters had a 'devil of a time' (;))getting to Perth, you think they'd understand the difficulty of traveling at short notice for a GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hence the advantage Melbourne football people have.

After last year when Demon supporters had a 'devil of a time' (;))getting to Perth, you think they'd understand the difficulty of traveling at short notice for a GF.

Exactly, people always talk about the Melbourne teams' unfair advantage on grand final day, but it's so damned expensive for interstate fans.

And flights and accommodation always seem to miraculously get more expensive that weekend.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Exactly, people always talk about the Melbourne teams' unfair advantage on grand final day, but it's so damned expensive for interstate fans.

And flights and accommodation always seem to miraculously get more expensive that weekend.

If the Pies make it to the GF this year I might see if I can shack up with Lounge Lizard for a night.

That'll save a few bob!!:)

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
The Orange colours was a mistake and they should've tugged at the heart strings and gone with a two blues colour scheme with a Red Waratah emblem. Location is also an issue as players want to live in salubrious suburbs like Darling Point, Potts Point, Paddington, Bellevue Hil, Centennial Park, Bondi or Maroubra. The West of Sydney isn't attractive for these young blokes. GWS needs to go and be called Western Sydney with a complete image change.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the Pies make it to the GF this year I might see if I can shack up with Lounge Lizard for a night.

That'll save a few bob!!:)

Definitely in the realm of possibility! Hopefully they keep the flight prices down.

I got tickets to the 2017 grand final and drove from Canberra, but I wouldn't drive much further than from Canberra or Adelaide (and I'm guessing ferrying your car across the Bass Strait negates any savings).

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know, pathetic right?

Can't even get more than half their members, from a famously working class region, to fork out thousands of dollars for tickets, fli
I know, pathetic right?

Working class? You do know western Sydney has some of the highest median houses prices in the country don’t you

I voted for the second option, I don't know if it would actually help but I just want them to change their name to Western Sydney because 'Greater Western Sydney' is a stupid name for a football club.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Working class? You do know western Sydney has some of the highest median houses prices in the country don’t you

So you cherry pick one part.

I wouldn't expect any club to get more than half their members' to spend thousands of dollars on a week's notice, regardless of socio-economic status.

I'm not in Sydney often, so I can't attest to whether Western Sydney is truly working class or not, but just because Western Sydney has higher median house prices than the rest of the country doesn't mean they're not working class. All of Sydney's house prices are ridiculous, but the ten lowest Sydney suburbs (probably more, that's all I could find) are all in Western Sydney.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you cherry pick one part.

I wouldn't expect any club to get more than half their members' to spend thousands of dollars on a week's notice, regardless of socio-economic status.

I'm not in Sydney often, so I can't attest to whether Western Sydney is truly working class or not, but just because Western Sydney has higher median house prices than the rest of the country doesn't mean they're not working class. All of Sydney's house prices are ridiculous, but the ten lowest Sydney suburbs (probably more, that's all I could find) are all in Western Sydney.
The majority of clubs would be able to do that. I think western Sydney changed a fair bit over the last decade definitely well above work class my brother has lived there the last 5 years it’s changed a lot just in that time

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The majority of clubs would be able to do that. I think western Sydney changed a fair bit over the last decade definitely well above work class my brother has lived there the last 5 years it’s changed a lot just in that time

I think Melbourne-based clubs just forget what a commitment it takes to get to the grand final.

I had access as a GWS member, but just couldn't justify the costs at the time. If it were in Sydney I probably would've though as I could've just bussed it there and back in a day. Adding flights and accommodation during a peak event just adds so much.

But apparently 15k of those 30k members bought tickets (according to a bigfooty post citing The Age in 2019). They were only 2k short. Not bad to get half of the membership to pay that much to go.

Also, apparently the Swans didn't sell out in 2016. There were 200 standing tickets not used by Swans members. Considering Sydney's Melbourne roots, and obviously larger fan base, surely that's more embarrassing than the Giants only reaching 15k.

It'll be interesting to see if Brisbane sell their allocation if they make it. They've got a decent Fitzroy base, but the MCG had a reduced capacity through their early 2000s run, so it's hard to tell if they would have sold a full allocation back then, and how that'll translate now.

Has your brother embraced the Big Big Sound yet? You've got a soldier behind enemy lines, surely you've got to deploy him in the fight for the Great Code Wars.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
But none of that is fact.

Now, with the right management and onfield success that would hopefully see a return to the stage where GWS were on track
and even better that position by continuing on.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Orange colours was a mistake and they should've tugged at the heart strings and gone with a two blues colour scheme with a Red Waratah emblem. Location is also an issue as players want to live in salubrious suburbs like Darling Point, Potts Point, Paddington, Bellevue Hil, Centennial Park, Bondi or Maroubra. The West of Sydney isn't attractive for these young blokes. GWS needs to go and be called Western Sydney with a complete image change.
Just copying the West Tigers. Attention seeking

Back