• 11 games in Western Sydney? Name change to Western Sydney

Votes: 44 25.4%
  • Merge with a Vic club?

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Just be patient?

Votes: 85 49.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes its tough breaking into NRL heartland.

Using GWS & the Suns any time the AFL want (games in Canberra, China) does nothing to develop a following pattern that heartland clubs take for granted (ignoring the whinges over time slots).

I would agree.

That you chose to ignore hometown derbies to make those numbers worse does nothing for the argument you are making.

I didn’t actually have an argument. I was just making an observation of how the two teams are currently going in their ‘home markets’. And since games in Canberra and Gold Coast don’t get to draw an excess number of supporters from a big brother team, it seemed fair to remove the Swans games to make it a fairer comparison.

I didn’t actually have an argument. I was just making an observation of how the two teams are currently going in their ‘home markets’. And since games in Canberra and Gold Coast don’t get to draw an excess number of supporters from a big brother team, it seemed fair to remove the Swans games to make it a fairer comparison.
Observation or conclusion.

on a positive note ..... adam kingsley can coach

one less challenge they have to worry about

[edit] footy classified suggesting kingsley might need a mentor .... work stress flagged as an issue to watch out for ... interesting :think:

Last edited:
GWS virtually admitting that they have no idea what they are doing off field. Change is needed, let’s hope the new CEO does something about GWS.
Article totally ignores the fact that Penrith have never been stronger in the NRL and Parramatta are having a good period. It's bloody competitive in Sydney's west.

Article totally ignores the fact that Penrith have never been stronger in the NRL and Parramatta are having a good period. It's bloody competitive in Sydney's west.
There is a problem though when you look at how few Giants fans were at the SCG Sunday. I reckon 1,000 tops. They draw less fans to the SCG that most Vic clubs. Where is the rivalry?

Sydney AFL followers are generally middle class RM Williams wearing Swans supporters

GWS’s short term pain is caused by this, the west doesn’t give a * about AFL. It’ll take at least another 20 years to change hearts and minds in Rugba Looiige heartland
What do you think will make folks in Western Sydney switch from RL?

As a small snapshot of how things are, I can tell you juniors have dropped off here in the outer west.

At the local senior club, we haven't been able to get an Under 19s side on the field since 2019, as the kids just aren't coming through.

What do you think will make folks in Western Sydney switch from RL?

Two basic points.
Very few people "swtich" codes. It's more about attracting generational change starting with the young.
WTF people talking as if r.l. is the problem - western Sydney is about SOCCER.
For the size of W.S. there isn't much r.l.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two basic points.
Very few people "swtich" codes. It's more about attracting generational change starting with the young.
They might play soccer, but they don't watch it. Not live anyway.

Two basic points.
Nup. Just some of the biggest RL clubs in the world. Wanderers crowd and interest has crashed. They sits behinds all NRL clubs there these days.

Sydney AFL followers are generally middle class RM Williams wearing Swans supporters

GWS’s short term pain is caused by this, the west doesn’t give a * about AFL. It’ll take at least another 20 years to change hearts and minds in Rugba Looiige heartland
The AFL has done a good job at eating into Rugby and the Waratahs. Out west it’s league always has been

West Sydney is NRL land
Certainly at senior level, I'd be interested to see comparative soccer/RL numbers at the junior level however. A lot of kids play soccer.

Dave Matthews has been the CEO there for a decade. Off field, the club is struggling to attract fans in WS with poor crowds and TV ratings (just 9k and 10k in the Sydney market for their last two matches). The club lost $3m last year and has a debt of over $9m to the AFL of which no interest is being charged.

Whenever I've heard him interviewed, he's come across as whiny and uninspiring. It's no doubt a very tough gig, but surely they need fresh leadership.

They might play soccer, but they don't watch it. Not live anyway.

Having lived in Sydney (near Paramatta for a good while), the people don't go to sports events en mass. NRL grounds don't hold too many, because they don't need to.

I don't know what the AFL expect to happen in the great West, 50k crowds will never ever happen. Even 30k is asking for too much.

One can only hope they grow to a worthwhile size considering the fortune put into the scheme.

Having lived in Sydney (near Paramatta for a good while), the people don't go to sports events en mass. NRL grounds don't hold too many, because they don't need to.

Yep.
I don't know what the AFL expect to happen in the great West, 50k crowds will never ever happen. Even 30k is asking for too much.

With every sporting team you cannot build without onfield success (and absence of off-field drama)

One can only hope they grow to a worthwhile size considering the fortune put into the scheme.

people keep forgetting that the expansion teams were underwritten by media rights.

I agree that Rugby has lost supporters but the AFL have definitely won support in those parts of Sydney. It’s a bit of both

Rugby has lost support and AFL has become more of an option.
Getting AFL into schools has been critical, yes, so congrats to the AFL on that part.
You cannot very play AFL if it's not an option.

Last edited:
Back