Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney FC, Sydney Kings, NSW
Source - http://www.teamgws.com.au/index.php?id=11&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=43&tx_ttnews[backPid]=10&cHash=cda5608127

Gold Coast FC enjoyed great publicity after their signing of Karmichael Hunt as their marquee player. But Team GWS, who enter the AFL a year later in 2012, have trumped the league's other newcomer with an even higher-profile signing.
Tall and fast are the key characteristics of GWS's new signing. Usain Bolt, who lept to prominence in the Beijing Olympics with a time of 9.69 for the 100m before smashing the record books with a phenomenal 9.58 in last year's World Championships, is looking for a new challenge; and the land down under has given him a new sporting task.
Bolt, having put pen to paper on the contract that will see him line up for the AFL's newest franchise, was understandably excited about the challenges ahead. "I've achieved all I can in athletics, but this is something new. No-one has ever done this before. I've seen Aussie Rules before, and marvelled at it. Not only do they run, but have to also display skills with a ball and absorb collisions. I have a lot to learn, but Kevin is keen to teach me and I would love to be a part of something new in the sporting world."
"He's a freak. He's not like other sprinters," says GWS mentor Kevin Sheedy. "His height gives him the ability to take marks, and his speed around the boundary line would be something no other player could match".
Bolt's contract allows him to remain in athletics, with a provision releasing him to represent Jamaica at the London Olympics late in Team GWS's first season. But Sheedy had no qualms about the contract terms.
"Although football and athletics have different skill sets, the training methods are remarkably similar. Football will stand him in good stead for athletics, while athletics will stand him in good stead for football. And the competitive juices flowing in him will not allow him to do anything other than giving it his best shot; and for someone with such amazing talent, his best shot is sure to be something special".
Bolt will participate in athletics events over the remainder of 2010 and 2011 while undergoing off-season football orientation sessions. He will join the club for pre-season training in 2012 with the aim of making his playing debut when Team GWS plays their opening game.

Probably went a bit too far to be believable but the concept is interesting anyway. Clubs are looking for athletic types that they can coach skills into. So scout the athletics world, pick them up at about 16 and get them into a program. Imagine Lee Hooker taking a mark at 6m off the ground (his pole might be a problem).

Maybe Lee Hooker and Tiger would make a good pair waxing off each other down the back line.

Just a thought!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back