GWS offers $3m to Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be huge but I reckon I would have a few performance hurdles in the contract that let me ditch him after 12 months if he couldn't play. I think he would be a much better asset than Hunt. At least he has the physical attributes although do not know if he can kick

Folau came to the AFL not the other way round - so why wouldn't he take $3million for 3 years ?

A couple of reasons off the top of my head:
  • To use as a bargaining chip to get more money out of the Rebels or whoever else.
  • To test the waters just to see what he could get for a code switch.

A couple of reasons off the top of my head:
  • To use as a bargaining chip to get more money out of the Rebels or whoever else.
  • To test the waters just to see what he could get for a code switch.

He already knows RU is goingto pay >> rl and nrl aren't going to match it and RU are at their upper limit

He already knows RU is goingto pay >> rl and nrl aren't going to match it and RU are at their upper limit

Say the Rebels have offered him $1.5m over three years. Now he can go back to them and say "Well I'd rather play for you guys, but $3m... that's a lot of money. Maybe if you got up to $2m we'll have a deal". Standard job negotiation tactic. Who's to say the Rebels are really at the top of their limit.

Watching the Footy Show last night I got the impression that about half of that would be paid by GWS under the salary cap. The rest would be outside the cap, and paid by the AFL as 'marketing'. Can anyone confirm this?

So what's the difference between that and someone else paying the remainder outside of the cap?

Not sure but I think it's similar to the deals that Ablett and Judd have. They get the money from the club and then 'work' for a company that gets them the extra money. In this situation the amount is publicised because it's the AFL Folau will be working for, using him as a marketing tool.

Not saying I think it's fair, in fact I don't agree that players should recieve payments like this outside the cap, but I'd say that's the story the AFL will tell.

So what's the difference between that and someone else paying the remainder outside of the cap?

I think it's the subtle kick the NRL to its knees exemption to the cap.

Dimwitreiou might watch himself though. If these leaguies come to the AFL and nail it, it could vindicate the no neck's stance that Aussie Rules is an easy game that requires no skill :mad:

I think it's the subtle kick the NRL to its knees exemption to the cap.

Dimwitreiou might watch himself though. If these leaguies come to the AFL and nail it, it could vindicate the no neck's stance that Aussie Rules is an easy game that requires no skill :mad:

I often hear this, but its a rediculous line of thought.

The AFL are happy to go for genuine star atheletes for the reasont hat they are genuine star athletes. To suggest that there isnt anyone in the NRL who would make a decent AFL player is as arrogant as it is stupid.

And the claim that 'if someone like Folau can nail AR, it proves anyone can play it', is exactly the same line of 'logic' as the claim 'someone like Folau can nail rugby League, anyone can'. Exactly the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It wasn't his manager kicking tyres. He (Folau) wanted to be tested. Before he committed himself long-term to a new career, he wanted to know whether he had a credible option open to him in the AFL," an AFL source said yesterday.
"He was curious. He wanted to know whether he could do it. He was asking himself: do I have a 10- year career in this? But in the end, I reckon it's easier for him and almost as lucrative to go to rugby."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...l-a-pr-free-kick/story-e6frg7mf-1225860829924

I often hear this, but its a rediculous line of thought.

The AFL are happy to go for genuine star atheletes for the reasont hat they are genuine star athletes. To suggest that there isnt anyone in the NRL who would make a decent AFL player is as arrogant as it is stupid.

And the claim that 'if someone like Folau can nail AR, it proves anyone can play it', is exactly the same line of 'logic' as the claim 'someone like Folau can nail rugby League, anyone can'. Exactly the same.

Hardly a ridiculous line of thought and no where near the logic that you try to claim. Folau is a RL player so no RL fan is going to say that anyone can do it. League fans understand the hard work and sacrifice it takes to make the NRL, just as an AFL fan knows what it takes to be picked up in the Draft.

If Bartel, Goodes, Ablett, Reiwoldt et al strolled in to League and nailed it, AFL fans would be jumping up and down saying how easy League is.

It's exactly the stance that Rugby League types took after Sailor, Tiquiri, Rogers et al went over to Union :rolleyes:

Folau is an athlete - can take a huge grab, has good hands, has speed but his kicking game.........he doesn't have one. At least Hunt kicked for Brisbane during his career. Folou must think he can hit targets if he is considering this offer.

Hardly a ridiculous line of thought and no where near the logic that you try to claim. Folau is a RL player so no RL fan is going to say that anyone can do it. League fans understand the hard work and sacrifice it takes to make the NRL, just as an AFL fan knows what it takes to be picked up in the Draft.

No, it is rediculous and arrogant to the extreme to believe that there isn;t anyone in the NRL who coudln't play AR. Its a professional comp which contains some of the greatest athletes this ocampaignerry has to offer.

Folau is good at RL because he is a tremendous athletic talent. If he can play in the AFL, then its because he is exceptional at what he does. He is not just 'anyone'. He will prove that if you have exceptional athletic talent, you can play int he AFL. He will not prove that 'anyone' can do it.

There is no logic behind your words. In fact, they are idiotic.

If Bartel, Goodes, Ablett, Reiwoldt et al strolled in to League and nailed it, AFL fans would be jumping up and down saying how easy League is.

No doubt they would. But while I can see why making such a point will make your position pettier, I fail to see how that makes your position any more valid.

It's exactly the stance that Rugby League types took after Sailor, Tiquiri, Rogers et al went over to Union :rolleyes:

And they were wrong, no?

Folks lets follow Folau's career so far.
He made his name at Melb Storm NRL, but then tranferred to Bris Broncos so that he could be closer to his polynesian extended family. He was homesick.

So why the f*^k would he heading back to Melb for the Rebels RU ?????

Ditto same for GWS offer. My money is on Folau following campaigner to the GCFC, his teammate at Broncos, who must have had some affect on the younger Folau. They're both polynesians, and both will opt to play for the sunny GCFC. :footy:

No, it is rediculous and arrogant to the extreme to believe that there isn;t anyone in the NRL who coudln't play AR. Its a professional comp which contains some of the greatest athletes this ocampaignerry has to offer.

Folau is good at RL because he is a tremendous athletic talent. If he can play in the AFL, then its because he is exceptional at what he does. He is not just 'anyone'. He will prove that if you have exceptional athletic talent, you can play int he AFL. He will not prove that 'anyone' can do it.

There is no logic behind your words. In fact, they are idiotic.

No doubt they would. But while I can see why making such a point will make your position pettier, I fail to see how that makes your position any more valid.

And they were wrong, no?

Perhaps you should go back and read my posts on this subject. Then you will realise that the position stated was not mine, rather the line that Rugby League fans (on sites such as LU) will be sprouting should Folau & Hunt make it in the AFL. It's not my position, nor did I infer it to be.

And your response is to refer to my words as "idiotic", infering that I was some sort of idiot.

Way to play the man rather than the ball :thumbsdown:

Perhaps you should go back and read my posts on this subject. Then you will realise that the position stated was not mine, rather the line that Rugby League fans (on sites such as LU) will be sprouting should Folau & Hunt make it in the AFL. It's not my position, nor did I infer it to be.

And your response is to refer to my words as "idiotic", infering that I was some sort of idiot.

Way to play the man rather than the ball :thumbsdown:

Initially that was the case and I responded with that in mind. However your second post was "Hardly a ridiculous line of thought and no where near the logic that you try to claim" in response to a quote of mine that at first appearance was in support of your position.

You disputed the claim that the logic was ridiculous, and defended it. So what am I meant to assume other than you believe the logic to be legitimate?

So how was I meant to take it? If there has been a misunderstanding then I think you need to express yourself clearer. I don't think I misinterpreted what you typed, I think you mistyped what you were trying to express.

BTW, if you say something idiotic, it doesn't mean you care calling the person an idiot. Its a claim leveled at what was said, not the speaker. I don;t know you. You might be an idiot, you might not be. I can't judge you. But if I wanted to infer that you were some kind of idiot, then I would have called you an idiot. I didn't play the man.

Folks lets follow Folau's career so far.
He made his name at Melb Storm NRL, but then tranferred to Bris Broncos so that he could be closer to his polynesian extended family. He was homesick.

So why the f*^k would he heading back to Melb for the Rebels RU ?????

Ditto same for GWS offer. My money is on Folau following campaigner to the GCFC, his teammate at Broncos, who must have had some affect on the younger Folau. They're both polynesians, and both will opt to play for the sunny GCFC. :footy:
Its either the Rebels or GWS. GC can't afford both Folau and campaigner. Remember, it's the AFL footing the bill, and they want one each for GC and GWS.

BTW - IMO (I won't elaborate my reasons), I have little doubt that campaigner will succeed in the AFL - and that Falou (should he choose AFL) will also most probably succeed. However, only time will tell if my opinion is right or wrong.

Its either the Rebels or GWS. GC can't afford both Folau and campaigner. Remember, it's the AFL footing the bill, and they want one each for GC and GWS.

BTW - IMO (I won't elaborate my reasons), I have little doubt that campaigner will succeed in the AFL - and that Falou (should he choose AFL) will also most probably succeed. However, only time will tell if my opinion is right or wrong.

Agree it wont be folau to GC, but GWS.

Serious questions about his ability to adapt though. He doesnt like publicity, the scrutiny will be intense, much more likely to go the safer option of union if a code change.

I hate the Idea of us signing any player who isnt an AFL player why would we? what will our crowds be with and without him honestly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back