List Mgmt. GWS Players Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive read some talk that he is looking at requesting a trade. Pity, i like him.

Is that the same place you read Wilson was requesting a trade as well? Lately the two have gone hand in hand. Wilson and Hampton want to go to WA. Well it seemed to have worked out on the Wilson part of the wants-out talk:confused:

Is that the same place you read Wilson was requesting a trade as well? Lately the two have gone hand in hand. Wilson and Hampton want to go to WA. Well it seemed to have worked out on the Wilson part of the wants-out talk:confused:
Actually yes

And if everytime i read it and post it we get a re-signing then look out, as ill do it more often.

GWS will need to be just as active with re-signings next year as they were in 2015.
Priorities for extensions must include: Ward, Steele & Whitfield. The rest of the 2016 expiries should fall into play.
Too many 2017 expiries to mention that are worth extending in 2015. Patton, Kelly, Haynes and Smith may receive hefty offers from other clubs in 12-18 months time.

Key here is finals and a Premiership window opening around 2017. That will see most happy to sign for unders.
If I'm a player in or close to the top 22, then two finals in 2016 followed by a prelim in 2017 makes me desperate to stay and be there for the likelihood of the inaugural flag thereafter. Minimum wage and a premiership is worth more than big bucks in the long term.

GWS will need to be just as active with re-signings next year as they were in 2015.
Priorities for extensions must include: Ward, Steele & Whitfield. The rest of the 2016 expiries should fall into play.
Too many 2017 expiries to mention that are worth extending in 2015. Patton, Kelly, Haynes and Smith may receive hefty offers from other clubs in 12-18 months time.
Once the new caps are announced for 17 and on we should see some big long term signings

Hey folks, sorry to intrude, just looking for a little clarification on your list status as we're launching a Phantom Draft over on our board.

As I see it: you guys had 46 Senior listed players at the start of the year, 8 have been traded, and you've picked up Stevie J and Dawson Simpson, leaving you with 40 players plus Sam Schulz as a rookie-listed player.

Is there any requirement for you to recruit any more than your two Academy kids this year, or does that meet the criteria for your increased list size?

Cheers!

Hey folks, sorry to intrude, just looking for a little clarification on your list status as we're launching a Phantom Draft over on our board.

As I see it: you guys had 46 Senior listed players at the start of the year, 8 have been traded, and you've picked up Stevie J and Dawson Simpson, leaving you with 40 players plus Sam Schulz as a rookie-listed player.

Is there any requirement for you to recruit any more than your two Academy kids this year, or does that meet the criteria for your increased list size?

Cheers!

We were allowed 48 this year - only used 46. Allowed 46 this year. Will probably be under that though. Addison has retired leaving us 39, not 40.

Looking at, at least three academy boys, not two (Hopper, Kennedy & Himmleberg) but also looking at Coughlan (particularly with Plow's departure) Cornell Flynn and Tiziani - so could go the full 46 if we wanted to - or more likely pick up 4 of the academy boys and rookie list the left overs if they don't find a home at another club.

We were allowed 48 this year - only used 46. Allowed 46 this year. Will probably be under that though. Addison has retired leaving us 39, not 40.

Looking at, at least three academy boys, not two (Hopper, Kennedy & Himmleberg) but also looking at Coughlan (particularly with Plow's departure) Cornell Flynn and Tiziani - so could go the full 46 if we wanted to - or more likely pick up 4 of the academy boys and rookie list the left overs if they don't find a home at another club.

Thanks mate, good to have a few names in mind. Had heard of Himmelberg, so will factor him in to the calculations. Looking at the points though, I'm not sure there'll be many picks left for the other guys (we're only running up to about pick 70-75). Will have to see how early the bids come.

Thanks mate, good to have a few names in mind. Had heard of Himmelberg, so will factor him in to the calculations. Looking at the points though, I'm not sure there'll be many picks left for the other guys (we're only running up to about pick 70-75). Will have to see how early the bids come.

Can see the Dogs bidding late 2nd early 3rd on Coughlan - played some VFL for Footscray (as well as NEAFL for us) and Essendon possibly bidding a late 3rd on Cornell (whose mother is a Daniher - 4 brothers and a sister - he's the son of the sister, coached by his uncle up the bush - good bloodlines)

Flynn is a beanpole ruckman so could go anywhere (probably won't match if the bid comes too early) - about the only one unlikely to be bid on is Tiziani, though he impressed a few at the combine winning the running vertical leap ahead of all the rucks. He's the one I can see us rookie listing first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the updated contract status list there are some big names that need to be tied up asap....

Plus some good young talent

Looking at the updated contract status list there are some big names that need to be tied up asap....

Plus some good young talent

Let me start by saying I'd like to keep them all. But I don't think we will.

6 Lachie Whitfield - 2016 - huge priority, but I don't think will be a problem. No indication he wants out. No indication he is being targeted by other clubs.

8 Callan Ward - 2016 - not going anywhere. No worries at all.

11 Jack Steele - 2016 - priority. Should be ok, but you never know.

17 Steve Johnson - 2016 - not a priority. If he plays on fine, if not, no dramas.

24 Joel Patfull - 2016 - not a priority. If he plays on fine, if not, no dramas.

26 Dawson Simpson - 2016 - depends on the other rucks. Rather keep Downie if it's one or the other. Can't see him signing anywhere else though

28 Jake Barrett - 2016 - my fear is he is this year's Miles/Whiley/Townsend

31 Jeremy Finlayson - 2016 - want to keep. Probably will keep. Can't see too many dramas here.

34 Caleb Marchbank - 2016 - priority signing. Possible hold-out. Not sure why I would think that, but I have no great confidence he will be here long term.

36 James Stewart - 2016 - handy, but handy trade bait too. Lower on my priority list than he probably is on other people's. Not as desperate for his signature as I am for some of the others.

39 Tim Mohr - 2016 - not going anywhere

41 Shane Mumford - 2016 - not going anywhere

42 Patrick McKenna - 2016 - see how he progresses, may be traded to reduce player numbers, may get his break, who knows. No huge loss if we do lose him.

44 Tom Downie - 2016 - with Sauce out the door, I'd say not a problem, with Simpson in the door, I'd say may be looking for more opportunity. We'll see how this one plays out, but we have pretty healthy ruck stocks - though his improvement last year was immense.

Let me start by saying I'd like to keep them all. But I don't think we will.

6 Lachie Whitfield - 2016 - huge priority, but I don't think will be a problem. No indication he wants out. No indication he is being targeted by other clubs.

8 Callan Ward - 2016 - not going anywhere. No worries at all.

11 Jack Steele - 2016 - priority. Should be ok, but you never know.

17 Steve Johnson - 2016 - not a priority. If he plays on fine, if not, no dramas.

24 Joel Patfull - 2016 - not a priority. If he plays on fine, if not, no dramas.

26 Dawson Simpson - 2016 - depends on the other rucks. Rather keep Downie if it's one or the other. Can't see him signing anywhere else though

28 Jake Barrett - 2016 - my fear is he is this year's Miles/Whiley/Townsend

31 Jeremy Finlayson - 2016 - want to keep. Probably will keep. Can't see too many dramas here.

34 Caleb Marchbank - 2016 - priority signing. Possible hold-out. Not sure why I would think that, but I have no great confidence he will be here long term.

36 James Stewart - 2016 - handy, but handy trade bait too. Lower on my priority list than he probably is on other people's. Not as desperate for his signature as I am for some of the others.

39 Tim Mohr - 2016 - not going anywhere

41 Shane Mumford - 2016 - not going anywhere

42 Patrick McKenna - 2016 - see how he progresses, may be traded to reduce player numbers, may get his break, who knows. No huge loss if we do lose him.

44 Tom Downie - 2016 - with Sauce out the door, I'd say not a problem, with Simpson in the door, I'd say may be looking for more opportunity. We'll see how this one plays out, but we have pretty healthy ruck stocks - though his improvement last year was immense.
Agree with this assessment. Barrett is definitely a flight risk, despite being a NSW boy. If he can't break into the side for at least 5-6 games, he has to consider looking elsewhere for opportunities. One thing in favour of him staying is that he is a comparative late comer to the elite level of the gave in the juniors. He may be prepared to invest in a little more development time at NEAFL level, with a handful of games at AFL level in 2016.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachie_Whitfield

Great talent! I would bet there are a number of teams looking to make the kid an offer, Hawthorn should be one of them. I wonder if he still has an eye on the Hawks ;)

Looking forward to catching a couple of Giants games in 2016! Four years as a nsw native the Giants are my second team to support. Exciting times!!!

Been at the club a few times in the offseason, he has always been there, I don't think he ever wants to leave..

Thanks Gubby, you,ve done an absolute top notch job and will be greatly missed. A sad day for the club me thinks.
Best of luck

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-21/ward-signs-longterm-deal-with-the-giants

Look at this line by Adam Curley:

"The tough midfielder...becomes the latest star to commit to the club, after Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio and Devon Smith all resisted the temptation to leave in 2015".

It gives you the impression the players didn't really want to stay, and had to be talked out of leaving. As if what went on publicly with Treloar was happening everywhere else.

Some people can't let go of the idea there will be an exodus sooner or later and the club will implode.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-21/ward-signs-longterm-deal-with-the-giants

Look at this line by Adam Curley:

"The tough midfielder...becomes the latest star to commit to the club, after Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio and Devon Smith all resisted the temptation to leave in 2015".

It gives you the impression the players didn't really want to stay, and had to be talked out of leaving. As if what went on publicly with Treloar was happening everywhere else.

Some people can't let go of the idea there will be an exodus sooner or later and the club will implode.
Curly is usually ok, so I didn't read that line in a negaitive light. I read it as all would have been tempted by big offers and they resisted the temptation of money and the "big crowds" back home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back