List Mgmt. GWS Players Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

I noted in one of the newspaper articles they had MDB contracted until 2019. Not sure if they actually knew that, or were supposing a 2 year deal from drafting whereas supposedly we'd heard only 1 year. If he has got another year, that would explain the lack of news!

I noted in one of the newspaper articles they had MDB contracted until 2019. Not sure if they actually knew that, or were supposing a 2 year deal from drafting whereas supposedly we'd heard only 1 year. If he has got another year, that would explain the lack of news!
What's the go with the Giants this offseason? Seemed to not be interested in recruiting players, but seemed to have had a drain on talent with Wilson and Kennedy going and Mumford retiring. Would have thought they would be having a crack at Goldstein unless Lobb nows becomes solely ruck.

What's the go with the Giants this offseason? Seemed to not be interested in recruiting players, but seemed to have had a drain on talent with Wilson and Kennedy going and Mumford retiring. Would have thought they would be having a crack at Goldstein unless Lobb nows becomes solely ruck.
The club stated up front that they were planning to take talent from the draft. Also, faith in Lobb stepping up to the #1 ruck job. IMHO Goldie is cooked, so would not either the trade cost or contract - agree with the club ignoring that thought.

The club stated up front that they were planning to take talent from the draft. Also, faith in Lobb stepping up to the #1 ruck job. IMHO Goldie is cooked, so would not either the trade cost or contract - agree with the club ignoring that thought.
Yeah don't know whether Goldy is cooked or unmotivated, but doesn't matter if Lobb steps up to 1st ruck (he was terrible as a forward this year).

Personally thought they might have been more aggressive given they are in the premiership window although i'm guessing Kelly and Whitfield would have chewed up a bit of cap space.

Yeah don't know whether Goldy is cooked or unmotivated, but doesn't matter if Lobb steps up to 1st ruck (he was terrible as a forward this year).

Personally thought they might have been more aggressive given they are in the premiership window although i'm guessing Kelly and Whitfield would have chewed up a bit of cap space.
We are losing young players with talent because they don't get games, bringing in additional older players to keep the ones we still have out would seem dumb.
Totally with the club on this call.

Smith was no longer best 22 by the end of the season along with MK. Mummy is a loss but he has been cooked most of the year.

Wilson is the only real loss and we have cumming who was a top 20 pick with the same attributes

Goldy couldn’t crack games for norf so I don’t think he will help us much

Which of the guys signed until end of 2019 do you see leaving? There’s about 10 guys coming out of contract. I can see Shiel, Kelly and Tomlinson leaving.

Which of the guys signed until end of 2019 do you see leaving? There’s about 10 guys coming out of contract. I can see Shiel, Kelly and Tomlinson leaving.

Our first year of free agency, could be a very interesting time for us and if Brett Anderson is correct in that we are looking at a tall for pick 11 could be a pointer ... But that said I'm sure many guys will re-sign before 2019 comes rolling in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ouch.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
We would end up getting about 3-4 first round picks out of it. We’d also have about 1.8 mill spare in our cap.
I think we will need to trade out or let a couple of free agents go. We need to spread the age of our list. Otherwise we’ll end up with about 15 key players retiring in the space of 3 years.

What do you mean?

Most will sign an extension well before then - you're looking two years out in advance when most players only sign two or three year contracts.

Cool to see more New South Welshmen joining the Giants list in 2018:
  1. Jack Buckley (UNSW)
  2. Isaac Cumming (Broken Hill)
  3. Jeremy Finlayson (Culcairn)
  4. Matthew Flynn (Narrandera)
  5. Harrison Himmelberg (Mangoplah)
  6. Jacob Hopper (Leeton)
  7. Daniel Lloyd (Killarney Vale)
  8. Harry Perryman (Collingullie)
  9. Will Setterfield (Albury)
  10. Nick Shipley (St George)
  11. Zach Sproule (Albury)
  12. Jake Stein (Penrith)
  13. Lachlan Tiziani (Broken Hill)
  14. Zac Williams (Narrandera)

1. Jack Buckley (UNSW)
  6. Jacob Hopper (Leeton)
  12. Jake Stein (Penrith)
My best 22 of all former/current players of GWS that hail from NSW/ACT

FB: Stein — Davis — Perryman

HB: Williams — Finlayson — Cumming

CT: Setterfield — Miles — Kennedy

HF: Townsend — Himmelberg — Barrett

FF: Lloyd — Bruce — O’hAilpin

RR: Flynn — Hopper — Steele

Int: Sproule — Shipley — Tiziani — Whiley

Emg: Redfern — Schulz — Buckley

Edit: forgot whiley!!

Last edited:
  1. Jack Buckley (UNSW)
  6. Jacob Hopper (Leeton)
  12. Jake Stein (Penrith)
Just to further this point, 14 NSW players equates to 31.8% of the list. I suppose the goal over the next five years will be to push that number closer to 50% (an extra 6-8 NSW players on the list).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back