List Mgmt. GWS Players Contract Status

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd agree that would be a desired increase, but I'm not sure that we'll get there quickly & certainly need to be careful that we don't damage our list in growing home-state players too rapidly (i.e. for fear of losing too many). The last couple of years we've actually turned over NSW/ACT players (such as Steele & Kennedy) to be replaced by newer NSW/ACT players (Jack Buckley, Shipley), muting the overall growth. Effectively, we can retain the top class who make the best 22 & get appropriately remunerated (Davis, Hopper), those further back who wouldn't get a shot elsewhere most likely (Jack Buckley, Sproule) & for the moment retain some on the verge who see a positive way forward (Himmelberg, Perryman & Setterfield) but lose others in that second string who can't see a positive way forward or go elsewhere for opportunity. (The risk being to lose Setterfield etc if they don't crack a regular first grade spot in the next 1 to 2 years.) That's actually a negative - because we lose the equivalent status Victorian kids to Melbourne teams from the 'go home for opportunity' factor. i.e. we've actually gotten little benefit from the 'home state' status of Steele & Kennedy.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd agree that would be a desired increase, but I'm not sure that we'll get there quickly & certainly need to be careful that we don't damage our list in growing home-state players too rapidly (i.e. for fear of losing too many). The last couple of years we've actually turned over NSW/ACT players (such as Steele & Kennedy) to be replaced by newer NSW/ACT players (Jack Buckley, Shipley), muting the overall growth. Effectively, we can retain the top class who make the best 22 & get appropriately remunerated (Davis, Hopper), those further back who wouldn't get a shot elsewhere most likely (Jack Buckley, Sproule) & for the moment retain some on the verge who see a positive way forward (Himmelberg, Perryman & Setterfield) but lose others in that second string who can't see a positive way forward or go elsewhere for opportunity. (The risk being to lose Setterfield etc if they don't crack a regular first grade spot in the next 1 to 2 years.) That's actually a negative - because we lose the equivalent status Victorian kids to Melbourne teams from the 'go home for opportunity' factor. i.e. we've actually gotten little benefit from the 'home state' status of Steele & Kennedy.
It's no different to the Suns losing home state players like Charlie Dixon or Zac Smith. If they're talented, there will be suitors lining up for their signatures and more talks these days. All you can really do is hope those players from NSW/ACT find their way into the best 22 before they decide they're better off plying their trade elsewhere due to a lack of opportunities at the Giants.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
They might announce Davis in the lead to rd 1 and I would think 2 or 3 years, the others I think will be later in the season with TOJ and Tiziani possible to have extensions later on in the season or after the GF victory as well as Keefe and Simpson
I think I counted 18 OOC at the end of 2019 so it will be a busy off season working those contracts out

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
They might announce Davis in the lead to rd 1 and I would think 2 or 3 years, the others I think will be later in the season with TOJ and Tiziani possible to have extensions later on in the season or after the GF victory as well as Keefe and Simpson
I think I counted 18 OOC at the end of 2019 so it will be a busy off season working those contracts out
Some big big names in that 2019 group. Hopefully can break them up with different length contracts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
As a new club in a new market when u evaluate our current contract situation it’s actually amazing.With Finlayson re-signing and without bothering to go through every teams list I doubt anyone would be better positioned for 2019 than us.Necessary players all signed up which gives us the upper hand if any contracted player (no reason they should)seeks a trade.Big to the club.All without any real Cola.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Jack Buckley and Jake Stein have signed 1 year extensions, announcement to come soon no doubt

Good news to hear and I wonder when they will release this
Surprised that both have been re-signed as I thought only one would be kept on the list for next year, assuming they will both just be re-rookied and thought they would announce Sproule as well
Also not 100% on the rules but as Sproule Stein and J Buckley are all cat B rookies how that would effect any potential rookie academy pick ups this year?
Not sure how they can be upgraded to be rookie A but I am sure it is possible

Good news to hear and I wonder when they will release this
Surprised that both have been re-signed as I thought only one would be kept on the list for next year, assuming they will both just be re-rookied and thought they would announce Sproule as well
Also not 100% on the rules but as Sproule Stein and J Buckley are all cat B rookies how that would effect any potential rookie academy pick ups this year?
Not sure how they can be upgraded to be rookie A but I am sure it is possible
To be honest I have no clue that anyone else has or hasn't, they along with Shipley were the players at last nights function, so their resigning was mentioned.

Back