List Mgmt. GWS Players Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd (1 year) and Flynn (2 year) both re-sign.

Actually a bit surprised about Flynn. Given the sheer number of times we've passed over him for senior selection in favour of Simpson (who we know what he offers and it's limited), I thought he was going to be a strong delisting candidate. Definitely not a two year extension.

Actually a bit surprised about Flynn. Given the sheer number of times we've passed over him for senior selection in favour of Simpson (who we know what he offers and it's limited), I thought he was going to be a strong delisting candidate. Definitely not a two year extension.
Trade bait?

Trade bait?

Doubt it.

a) who would want an uncapped player that's sat in the reserves for years?
b) if we're already planning to offload a player, why would we re-sign him knowing we'd be stuck with him if no one wanted him?

Occam's Razor suggests that the club sees him as a senior prospect in the next couple of years, despite their continued obsession with Simpson.

Doubt it.

a) who would want an uncapped player that's sat in the reserves for years?
b) if we're already planning to offload a player, why would we re-sign him knowing we'd be stuck with him if no one wanted him?

Occam's Razor suggests that the club sees him as a senior prospect in the next couple of years, despite their continued obsession with Simpson.
I believe he and Briggs will be our two prime ruckmen very soon

I know it seems like he has been around forever but he is still in his early 20’s

He could very well become a great player but very few big guys are good that early on

I know it seems like he has been around forever but he is still in his early 20’s
Given the number of ruck injuries and outs we've had, I just would've expected to see him get at least some game time since there has been so many chances.

Given the number of ruck injuries and outs we've had, I just would've expected to see him get at least some game time since there has been so many chances.
Well I don’t know about that. He has never been higher than third in the pecking order and as a team we never really have needed to move past 2nd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the intrusion...
Rapt for you guys that Cogs is staying ...especially because it means he’s not landing up at the Hawks or Blues. 🤣🤣🤣

Good luck for the finals. Would be happy to see the Giants win it.

Last edited:
It is fantastic news. Went to the AFL website for an overview of how exciting it is that he recommitted long term to the Giants.
One piddly underwhelming article. It really is a home state biased site.
If he'd gone to Hawks or Blues, they would be writing stories for weeks.

Anyway, it's a massive for Giants.
He might see out one coach, he might see out more.
He's steering the group forward and will be a permanent fixture through whatever change throws up.
Congratulations.

It is fantastic news. Went to the AFL website for an overview of how exciting it is that he recommitted long term to the Giants.
One piddly underwhelming article. It really is a home state biased site.
If he'd gone to Hawks or Blues, they would be writing stories for weeks.

Anyway, it's a massive for Giants.
He might see out one coach, he might see out more.
He's steering the group forward and will be a permanent fixture through whatever change throws up.
Congratulations.
There will be a media conference from the club today so my guess is the articles will flow from then.
Curley is the best one there. He actually does his job instead of makes s**t up for articles.

Will be either Captain or Co Captain next year along with Kelly, as much as I would love for Greene to get it I don't th link he is overly fussed with the title.

I know there's a bunch of talk around salary cap but I'm not convinced we're at breaking point yet once you filter out overpayments to underperforming guys, as we've shown willing to jettison them in token trades previously and we'll probably see that again with Patton and Bonar to obvious rumours plus Tomlinson likely walking.

There's four (probably soon to be five - Whitfield) guys on premium contracts accounting for $800k-$1m pa.

There's a handful guys likely to be on above average wages (Hopper, Haynes, Ward, Davis). Tomlinson, Corr, Shaw and Lids will probably be dropping off this list this year or next. Finlayson is probably in here already - overpaid last year but fair now.

The rest are likely on pretty close to minimum (Keeffe, Mumford, de Boer, Reid, Lloyd, rookies and most rookie re-signings).

With the current salary cap increases that middle range players could easily be on an average of about $500k per year without issues. The loss of players might come if someone like Williams who warrants an above average wage gets offers around the premium level. This would be the case with guys we've lost like Lobb and McCarthy in the past.

All that is speculation with no special insight, but basically we're running a stars and scrubs team and have been for a few years.

I know there's a bunch of talk around salary cap but I'm not convinced we're at breaking point yet once you filter out overpayments to underperforming guys, as we've shown willing to jettison them in token trades previously and we'll probably see that again with Patton and Bonar to obvious rumours plus Tomlinson likely walking.

There's four (probably soon to be five - Whitfield) guys on premium contracts accounting for $800k-$1m pa.

There's a handful guys likely to be on above average wages (Hopper, Haynes, Ward, Davis). Tomlinson, Corr, Shaw and Lids will probably be dropping off this list this year or next. Finlayson is probably in here already - overpaid last year but fair now.

The rest are likely on pretty close to minimum (Keeffe, Mumford, de Boer, Reid, Lloyd, rookies and most rookie re-signings).

With the current salary cap increases that middle range players could easily be on an average of about $500k per year without issues. The loss of players might come if someone like Williams who warrants an above average wage gets offers around the premium level. This would be the case with guys we've lost like Lobb and McCarthy in the past.

All that is speculation with no special insight, but basically we're running a stars and scrubs team and have been for a few years.
good analysis. I really can't see how we are stretching the salary cap anymore either- I imagine we have competent people n the books who have the forsight for JC and Whit's extensions. When they are paid up I reckon we would be close again.

Would love to see one of them done ahead of time to take the speculation out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back