GWS ruckman retires to focus on mental health

Remove this Banner Ad

GREATER Western Sydney ruckman Tom Downie has retired to concentrate on treating his ongoing mental health issues.

Downie, who was placed on the long-term injury list in March and stepped away from footy to seek treatment for anxiety, is currently contracted to GWS until the end of 2018, but the club will release him at the end of this year.

The 24-year-old, who played nine games for the Giants after being selected with pick 56 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, said his decision was all about his own well being.

"Tom joined the Giants as a foundation player and has had a significant impact on the club both on and off field over the past six years," he said.

"Everyone at the Giants completely support Tom’s decision knowing it is in the best interests of his wellbeing. What Tom is dealing with isn’t unique, but it does mean football is very much secondary in his life at the moment.

Another player lost to mental health, sad for Downie but glad that in today's age he could step away to focus on his health without a stigma.
Only 24 so he has time to turn it around.

• 2011 National Draft, GWS (56)
  • Debut rnd 20, 2013 v Fremantle
  • 9 AFL games
  • 2 AFL goals

Feel sorry for the guy. Well done to GWS for how they've handled it.

Its a sad world where people are under so much pressure with anxiety and depression as it is, but so many employers won't cop it as an excuse for missing a day or two of work to focus on getting a bit of a release.

Very brace of him to tell the whole country about his mental health issues. Very serious and very real issue that is overlooked a lot in society as it isn't a visible issue.

Best of luck to tom on his endeavours through life and hope he finds success

Very brace of him to tell the whole country about his mental health issues. Very serious and very real issue that is overlooked a lot in society as it isn't a visible issue.

Best of luck to tom on his endeavours through life and hope he finds success
Very much so
Anxiety is one of the most debilitating things someone can suffer from, and the worst thing is it's nigh impossible to see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Morton always suffered terrible anxiety and for his own mental health really should have never became an AFL player as the pressure made him physically sick. I am glad he retired for his own sake and I am glad that Downie has realised what he needs to do for his own mental health.
At least he got a medal before here pulled the pin

At least he got a medal before here pulled the pin
Harsh thing for Tom is that he may have been in line to be first ruck next season, with Mummy getting to that age.

Hopefully that shows people how serious a decision this was for him to make.

A serious question...........what the F is wrong with society with so many people suffering from anxiety and depression.

We must sit down down as a society and look at diet, stress and other lifestyle factors because life isn't supposed to be like this.

A serious question...........what the F is wrong with society with so many people suffering from anxiety and depression.

We must sit down down as a society and look at diet, stress and other lifestyle factors because life isn't supposed to be like this.
Anxiety and depression has always been around. Just never a well known or accepted thing.

People usually suffered in silence and took their own lives with everyone none the wiser

Anxiety and depression has always been around. Just never a well known or accepted thing.

People usually suffered in silence and took their own lives with everyone none the wiser

I accept we are better at communicating our issues. social media and celebrities communicating their struggles also amplifies the awareness.

However, I have businesses globally and can't see the same level of issues in developing nations as we see here in the west. We have it good in the west but it comes at a price.

Yup, it's always been there, hidden. Hopefully Tom can get on with life out of the spotlight that is AFL.

Mitch Morton always suffered terrible anxiety and for his own mental health really should have never became an AFL player as the pressure made him physically sick.

"You've just cost me my job" wouldn't have helped, although I think by that stage Wallace had lost the players.

I expect there'd be a few who regularly throw up before games. I know a couple below professional level who do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back