Preview GWS season preview - Me? I Like Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure there would have been a trade war... Why would clubs bid for a player that says he wants to play somewhere else?

He was "homesick" for Melbourne not desperate to be a Dog. You don't think Collingwood or Hawthorn could have trumped the dog's bid in an open trade period? You don't think he would have considered other clubs if they came knocking?

Well he named a club didn't he? So if ur another club looking for buy in from players how do u feel about throwing a large chunk of your cap who has walked out early on his first contract, named a club (average move by any standard) and then takes that back cos u threw in an extra 100,000? Sounds like a risk most would pass on to me

Well he named a club didn't he? So if ur another club looking for buy in from players how do u feel about throwing a large chunk of your cap who has walked out early on his first contract, named a club (average move by any standard) and then takes that back cos u threw in an extra 100,000? Sounds like a risk most would pass on to me

If it was known it was open it wouldnt of happened. The only reason he named a club was because the dogs told him how much they would pay him. Thats it. And his manager would of told any prospective club the exact same thing

You'd also think that Boyd's management were opportunistic. Once Griffin nominated GWS as his preferred destination, there was suddenly an immediate route back to Melbourne for Boyd, and it was a matter of the two clubs coming to terms over two players who now publicly wanted to go to the other club.

Don't get me wrong. I hope the kid goes well. But we sooooo got the best end of that deal.

A potential vs a proven, a draft pick and a million in cap room. Out of the clubs we won by a mile.
Dogs had no choice. They needed to get the deal done. We didnt. We could of waited for the inevitable trade war that would of happened at the end of this year.

True. Any time you can draft a standout key-forward prospect #1 overall then trade him a year later for a 29 year old mid coming off his worst season in six years and pick 6, you just have to do it. :p

Boyd would have nominated a club at the end of this season, likely either us, Carlton or St Kilda. There's no chance in hell he'd allow three clubs to make competing trade offers to GWS before negotiating a contract, which is what it seems you're suggesting. His management would have negotiated deals during the year, at the start of the trade period he'd pick a club and then there would have been a stand-off for two weeks. Nevertheless, I think you would have jagged a better draft pick than pick 6 (subject to ladder positions) if he left this year and not last. How you feel about that really depends on how you feel about Griffen.

We won't know who got the better of this trade for a few years. To call a winner now is absolutely ridiculous.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
True. Any time you can draft a standout key-forward prospect #1 overall then trade him a year later for a 29 year old mid coming off his worst season in six years and pick 6, you just have to do it. :p

Boyd would have nominated a club at the end of this season, likely either us, Carlton or St Kilda. There's no chance in hell he'd allow three clubs to make competing trade offers to GWS before negotiating a contract, which is what it seems you're suggesting. His management would have negotiated deals during the year, at the start of the trade period he'd pick a club and then there would have been a stand-off for two weeks. Nevertheless, I think you would have jagged a better draft pick than pick 6 (subject to ladder positions) if he left this year and not last. How you feel about that really depends on how you feel about Griffen.

We won't know who got the better of this trade for a few years. To call a winner now is absolutely ridiculous.
Totally agree with what you are saying re a potential bid off..;). It wouldn't have happened

But in regards to your comments about who wins out of the trade.... It's bigfooty... What else are we gonna talk about? Lol

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Totally agree with what you are saying re a potential bid off..;). It wouldn't have happened

But in regards to your comments about who wins out of the trade.... It's bigfooty... What else are we gonna talk about? Lol

Haha agree. It'll be a fun one to argue about for the next 5 years or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back