Prediction GWS THE FUTURE

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd definitely prefer a Butters-type mid with pace, but wouldn't turn my nose up at Clarry
We have pace aplenty with Daniels, Bedford, O'Halloran, Jones, Gothard, Leek, to inject pace when needed. But my feel is Finn Callaghan will give us all the running power we need

Interesting thought. I think we all love a good redemption story (Jesse Hogan going well there for us!); even more, to pull the pants down of a Melbourne club. Of course, it's a risk-reward proposition - do you dare catch a falling knife? I think with Cal Ward close to retiring, then two very inside mids would be fine (that's my perspective that I had in trade & draft periods last year, so he fits with my list balance). The big question is whether getting out of the AFL bubble in Melbourne would solve Clarry's issues.

Interesting thought. I think we all love a good redemption story (Jesse Hogan going well there for us!); even more, to pull the pants down of a Melbourne club. Of course, it's a risk-reward proposition - do you dare catch a falling knife? I think with Cal Ward close to retiring, then two very inside mids would be fine (that's my perspective that I had in trade & draft periods last year, so he fits with my list balance). The big question is whether getting out of the AFL bubble in Melbourne would solve Clarry's issues.
The Melbourne media follow him around like blowflies and he has soiled his pants. It would do him a world of good so long as he has buy in and shows full commitment

How do you guys think Clayton Oliver would look in our midfield after the mid season trade period? Trade the Dees a 2nd round pick and a packet of chicken twisties?
Salary cap would be the issue I'd imagine. Even if they paid a portion

Just can't pass up a player of that calibre imo, how many times will this team get a chance to add one of the best players in the comp? Don't think there's any fit issues at all with Green and especially not Callaghan, when the chance pops up to get one of the best players in the comp you just do it imo and he'd probably come at a bit of a discount price to get him through the door. We can win the flag this season and Oliver o

Salary cap would be the issue I'd imagine. Even if they paid a portion
Yeah I just don't think it's going to be worth it. We would have been better off paying the cash to hold Taranto if we are gonna splash that much on Oliver...
The risks attached are too high...I think an experienced and respected coach like Sydney will probably win out as a place that will get him.
Hell of a player...I just don't think he fits. If we had that money I'd be putting it in our forward line.

Yeah I just don't think it's going to be worth it. We would have been better off paying the cash to hold Taranto if we are gonna splash that much on Oliver...
The risks attached are too high...I think an experienced and respected coach like Sydney will probably win out as a place that will get him.
Hell of a player...I just don't think he fits. If we had that money I'd be putting it in our forward line.
I'm not sure what the fit issue is? It's pretty clear we might be a mid-short this year having to rely on maybe washed Ward or not-ready Rowston so putting in a brownlow contender into that spot is a perfect fit! Even if we did have someone ready they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Oliver. It's okay to look a little bit short term we don't have to always have the longest view in the room because we might just miss our window. We wouldn't have to trade the farm for him to get him either, the reason we play the games every year is to win the flag it's not some theoretical long-term exercise in who has the best future. Agree the forward line needs help but saving cap space for a forward that may never want to come here might mean it just gets wasted, if we win the flag and our cap space is busted who cares we won the flag nothing else matters!! Someone would have to want to come here for us to use our cap space on a forward, are we really going to say no to a brownlow contender on the theoretical chance that we hope a forward becomes available soon that wants to come here? This is obviously all dumb and hypothetical but think we're in a spot where we can start cashing in our chips for win-now moves so we should explore those.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the fit issue is? It's pretty clear we might be a mid-short this year having to rely on maybe washed Ward or not-ready Rowston so putting in a brownlow contender into that spot is a perfect fit! Even if we did have someone ready they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Oliver. It's okay to look a little bit short term we don't have to always have the longest view in the room because we might just miss our window. We wouldn't have to trade the farm for him to get him either, the reason we play the games every year is to win the flag it's not some theoretical long-term exercise in who has the best future. Agree the forward line needs help but saving cap space for a forward that may never want to come here might mean it just gets wasted, if we win the flag and our cap space is busted who cares we won the flag nothing else matters!! Someone would have to want to come here for us to use our cap space on a forward, are we really going to say no to a brownlow contender on the theoretical chance that we hope a forward becomes available soon that wants to come here? This is obviously all dumb and hypothetical but think we're in a spot where we can start cashing in our chips for win-now moves so we should explore those.
I understand that. But it's all based on him moving....next year....to us....which I think is unlikely anyway.
I just don't think it'll happen....not would I personally be keen for it to happen. He's a ******* great player I just don't see how it would even be possible $$ wise.

I understand that. But it's all based on him moving....next year....to us....which I think is unlikely anyway.
I just don't think it'll happen....not would I personally be keen for it to happen. He's a ******* great player I just don't see how it would even be possible $$ wise.
Yeah I guess I'm operating in the hypothetical world in which he would want to come (extremly unlikely) and the money is possible. It's not going to happen but just a thought exercise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back