Prediction GWS THE FUTURE

Remove this Banner Ad

Idun Taylor Himmel
Cumming Haynes Hamilton(Fahey)

Cogs Meek Perryman
Kelly Green Callaghan

Greene Riccardi(Cadman) Daniels
Stone Hogan Peatling

Int: Whitfield Flynn Ward Buckley(Aleer)

I'm more optimistic (or naiive) than you.

Canberra had leverage (larger crowds), and it's still gone back to the three-game status quo.

I'm really keen for an official announcement of the length of contract. If it's another 10 years, I will join you in your pessimism, but any shorter and I'll see it as a sign of potential change.
Had optimism once, then worked out the club is inept.

Canberra was always going to have bigger crowds. Pretty much did if you take out the derby.
It’s the easier run because of the regions history with the game.

The club was supposed to be a Western Sydney club and they told all and sundry that they were in it for the long hall. Then they have taken every easy dollar or approach they could since.

As far as I’m aware it’s another 10.

A few random thoughts on the direction of the club

Management - Surely time for a change in management. No CEO should be in the seat for 10 years, especially when there are still this many hurdles facing the club. Ditto for the chair. I don't think Matthews has done a terrible job, but its time for a fresh set of eyes.

Academy - where is this influx of Western Sydney boys representing the Giants? Only Briggs and Shipley have been taken in the national draft, pretty poultry return for 10 years of investment. I think we all have to acknowledge that we have been gifted a zone in Southern NSW & ACT with a history of producing AFL players, I assume the academy is not intended to develop these kids as they would have had a decent shot of making it anyway.

Giants Stadium - It's a great place to watch footy when you are actually there. But the location is terrible, Sydney Olympic Park is a horrible part of Sydney with no atmosphere or vibe. Compare that to the SCG, people walking in from the Paddington side, Randwick side, Kensington side. Caters to all comers, kids can kick the footy at Moore Park or Centennial Park, plenty of cafes and bars in Paddington & EQ pre and post game. I can't see this changing any time soon as Sydney Olympic Park was basically designed for 200,000 people walking around during the 2000 Olympics and nothing has changed since. The only hope is when the new train line opens up at the end of the decade with some type of development sitting around it. Imagine if GS was located where CommBank stadium is?

Canberra - this probably makes the best of a bad situation, in that we are locked out of GS around the Easter Show. In isolation, I agree it does not make sense but given we have this massive impediment, we may as well try and plug that hole with the Canberra deal and get two games away in the six weeks we aren't in Sydney. If we revert to the alternative, does playing 11 games at GS in the last 16 rounds work? The lockout itself is a massive negative for us, by the time we are back there, we are right into State of Origin time and well back in peoples hearts and minds.

Luckily for us, the coffers are full from the TV deal, which means hopefully some further investment to grow the game in WS. The TV deal itself probably proves that economics of the club works, despite the crowds and other issues. But there is so much potential here for this club to be more than that.

Giants Stadium - It's a great place to watch footy when you are actually there. But the location is terrible, Sydney Olympic Park is a horrible part of Sydney with no atmosphere or vibe. Compare that to the SCG, people walking in from the Paddington side, Randwick side, Kensington side. Caters to all comers, kids can kick the footy at Moore Park or Centennial Park, plenty of cafes and bars in Paddington & EQ pre and post game. I can't see this changing any time soon as Sydney Olympic Park was basically designed for 200,000 people walking around during the 2000 Olympics and nothing has changed since.
Agree 100%.

People with better memories than me will know what other options there were at the time for the club/AFL other than plumping for this soulless location.

Agree 100%.

People with better memories than me will know what other options there were at the time for the club/AFL other than plumping for this soulless location.
None to speak of.

We were basically beggars at the time. BISP was thought to be a solution initially but we couldn't get funding there and cricket took precedence. We could get funding in the Olympic Park precinct and this was essentially an existing stadium that could get upgrade funding. There's not a heap of free space to drop a brand new AFL stadium in in western Sydney without going way out and being even worse, or having serious public transport issues.

Agree 100%.

There wasn’t any. Blacktown didn’t want a full time club there, only a name to get state funding.

Don’t get the hate. The stadium has the best transport options of any stadium in Sydney. With a light rail possibly on the way.

Is slowly getting more pubs and cafes.

Everyone keeps saying Parra but where the hell in Parramatta? Nowhere left.
Parra stadium, it would never have been a multipurpose venue (The state learned their lesson after Accor), is still a 20 min walk from a station and that’s before you talk car parking, buses or taxis.

Canberra - this probably makes the best of a bad situation, in that we are locked out of GS around the Easter Show. In isolation, I agree it does not make sense but given we have this massive impediment, we may as well try and plug that hole with the Canberra deal and get two games away in the six weeks we aren't in Sydney. If we revert to the alternative, does playing 11 games at GS in the last 16 rounds work? The lockout itself is a massive negative for us, by the time we are back there, we are right into State of Origin time and well back in peoples hearts and minds.

I know people dislike Accor, but would one game a year there be so bad if it broke up the Western Sydney exodus? I was there for the 2016 GWS-Sydney final and I loved it (but admittedly, it had 60k).

Depending when Easter lands, 1 at GS before the Show, 1 at Accor, then 9 at GS after the Show?

Or what are people's thoughts on a game in Henson Park? I know it's east of Homebush, but it's technically "inner west", and wouldn't be crossing over into Swans territory as much as the SCG game would've. I haven't been, but Henson Park looked pretty good on TV for the AFLW, and has a decent capacity.

Had optimism once, then worked out the club is inept.

Canberra was always going to have bigger crowds. Pretty much did if you take out the derby.
It’s the easier run because of the regions history with the game.

The club was supposed to be a Western Sydney club and they told all and sundry that they were in it for the long hall. Then they have taken every easy dollar or approach they could since.

As far as I’m aware it’s another 10.

Have you heard anything regarding the 10?

I know it was assumed, and that's what the Giants reportedly wanted, but ever since the "5-year" slip up by Tony Shepherd in April, I haven't been optimistic.

And I assumed if it is 10 years, they'd announce that before a Canberra game to amp up support. An announcement seemed imminent in April, and then four AFLm games and an AFLW game passed with no announcement.

That being said, very ready for egg on my face when a 10-year extension is announced.

I know people dislike Accor, but would one game a year there be so bad if it broke up the Western Sydney exodus? I was there for the 2016 GWS-Sydney final and I loved it (but admittedly, it had 60k).

Depending when Easter lands, 1 at GS before the Show, 1 at Accor, then 9 at GS after the Show?

Or what are people's thoughts on a game in Henson Park? I know it's east of Homebush, but it's technically "inner west", and wouldn't be crossing over into Swans territory as much as the SCG game would've. I haven't been, but Henson Park looked pretty good on TV for the AFLW, and has a decent capacity.
no to Henson. Its 7k capacity and yes further east.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may as well try Erskineville Oval. At least it has a good grandstand.

The thing I hate most about the Canberra games is the cost to members. This year the average cost for a membership for the swans was less…. Yet they give 3 more games

It’s a stitch up

no to Henson. Its 7k capacity and yes further east.
It is a very nice spot to watch lower grade footy. It is a mile away from being the standard you need and is exceptionally hard to get more than a hundred people in.
Watching Newton there though is very enjoyable.

It is a very nice spot to watch lower grade footy. It is a mile away from being the standard you need and is exceptionally hard to get more than a hundred people in.
Watching Newton there though is very enjoyable.

Thanks for the insight! My first-hand knowledge of Sydney stadiums is limited to Giants Stadium, Accor and the SCG.

So I retract my suggestion for Henson Park, but I still think Accor could be an option. I know nobody, of any code, seems to like it, but if the Giants end up playing 11 Sydney games in the future, Accor seems a good compromise to avoid a long patch without home games.

I know nobody, of any code, seems to like it, but if the Giants end up playing 11 Sydney games in the future, Accor seems a good compromise to avoid a long patch without home games.
Playing three games at Accor Stadium would be a PR disaster. We would need to play the Swans plus the biggest-drawing Victorian clubs, probably Collingwood and Carlton or Essendon to try and avoid the place looking empty. It would rob Giants Stadium of major blockbusters.

Accor Stadium is only good for finals against the Swans. During H & A, no thanks.

Playing three games at Accor Stadium would be a PR disaster. We would need to play the Swans plus the biggest-drawing Victorian clubs, probably Collingwood and Carlton or Essendon to try and avoid the place looking empty. It would rob Giants Stadium of major blockbusters.

Accor Stadium is only good for finals against the Swans. During H & A, no thanks.

I only think we'd need to play the one game at Accor.

There's usually one or two games at Giants Stadium before the Show. Then there seems to be an average of five rounds without a game at Giants Stadium. So slotting just one game in the middle would mean no more than two rounds without a game in Western Sydney.

The thing I hate most about the Canberra games is the cost to members. This year the average cost for a membership for the swans was less…. Yet they give 3 more games

It’s a stitch up
Games don't come cheap for Canberra members either, and we get no discount if we want to travel to Homebush to watch.

Respectfully I don’t like we play games in Canberra at all

And the fact Sydney members pay more that swans members for less is a disgrace
I would expect that the Canberra games have nothing to do with the Sydney price. If 3 extra games came into Sydney, I'd simply expect the price would go up proportionally from the current price.

That's just on the club setting its prices.

I would expect that the Canberra games have nothing to do with the Sydney price. If 3 extra games came into Sydney, I'd simply expect the price would go up proportionally from the current price.

You might be right

My comments are about value

Canberra might have something to do with it though.

A lot of ifs and maybes, but hear me out.

I assume that GWS has to charge more because there are fewer members to spread the costs across, so as GWS grows, costs should come down.

There are only 6k Canberra members, and that seems to be the ceiling. There are roughly 20k Sydney-based members.

I'm not sure what the membership breakdown is, but if even a third of those Sydney-based members were 8-gamers and upgrade to 11 Sydney games, that'd cover the cost of lost Canberra members. More available games might entice a few more members to upgrade theirs, too.

So 11 games in Sydney might be cheaper, proportionally, than the current 8 games, if enough Sydney-based members can be enticed to upgrade.

Really dislike how this thread has turned into talk about WHERE we play rather than WHO is playing in the future. Let's get back on that line aye guys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back