Prediction GWS THE FUTURE

Remove this Banner Ad

petits

Debutant
Feb 8, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry for continuing down this path but I assume the idea of playing a game during the Easter Show has been floated and dismissed. But wouldn't it be cool though. Could be free entry with Easter Show ticket - get some new eyeballs on the game - some of the country people who make up the backbone of the show are from those AFL areas and would love it - while people who came mostly to watch the game would probably end up spending some money at the show too - win win.
I suppose there's some insurmountable problem with how the stadium is set up for the show stuff, but it's nice to daydream.

captainMyCaptain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

1663979093748.jpeg

Land of the Giants

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
One thing I hope Kingsley brings to the club is an insight into how and why Victorian teams are able to inflict heavy defeats on non-Victorian teams in grand finals.

Richmond did it to Adelaide and ourselves, Hawthorn and Geelong have done it to Sydney, Geelong did it to Port Adelaide, Hawthorn did it to West Coast.

The only example in the last 20 years of a non-Victorian club inflicting a heavy GF defeat on a Victorian club is Brisbane in 2003.

It seems to be structural. I'd like to know Kingsley's views on how you could effectively counter it.

Section226

Senior List
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Got me thinking if there'll be any effects on GWS considering the NRL results over the weekend.

Having a grand final between teams from western Sydney and the blanket coverage across the sports media can't be a good thing.

Capturing the 'casual' viewer and turning them into a follower / member is now just that bit harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drezdyn

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
All Northern alliance teams
When I used to attend games I would nearly always see Chris Bowen with his kids in the crowd barracking for the Giants - and not in some exclusive corporate box, but in the sitting with us commoners in the General admission stands.

I don't agree with a lot of his policies, but I've got to give credit where it is due - He really does put in the hard yards to engage with his local Western Sydney electorate.

If Dutton had half a brain he'd know that Western Sydney is critical to an election being won or lost. Statements like this don't help.

Land of the Giants

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
One thing I hope Kingsley brings to the club is an insight into how and why Victorian teams are able to inflict heavy defeats on non-Victorian teams in grand finals.
Since 2000, the average margin of victory for interstate teams against Victorian teams in grand finals is 20 points. For Victorian teams against interstate teams, it's 69 points.

No wonder they want the grand final always held in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad