Traded GWS trade #6 and future R1 pick (tied to GWS) to Adelaide for #4

Remove this Banner Ad

Just going by what Reid said on the radio and knowledge of the actual responsibilities of List Management compared to Talent ID. Not suggesting they got it right, but check my posting on your own board over our pick swap and Stoker and you’ll find extreme consistency. If you saw no difference between 4 and 8 or even 4-12 as per your list, would you not go back 2 places from 4 for an extra free late first rounder the following year? I understand that we don’t have a lot of experience using low picks, we’ve had a total of 2 in our 20 odd years and that you guys are the masters. But trading back 2 spots to get a solid pick next year isn’t exactly turning our back on the high end of the draft because we’re too scared to pick at 4.

I think it’s a great trade for the Crows, but if you take McAsey or Stephens who probably get to 9 otherwise it pretty much evens it up.

Having the option is always nice though

He’s what? 17/18

We were founded in 2010 - he would have been 8/9 at the time - so not a huge amount of high level, high performance, professional football development in the Canberra Auskick ranks before then I would have thought. He joined the academy at the age of 12 and has been under the guidance of Academy coaches ever since.

So, you know, try again sunshine.
His development was natural.In his genes.
Some kids have it.Some don't.

So what happened to his father then? Why did this fantastic natural genetic development skip a generation?

So what happened to his father then? Why did this fantastic natural genetic development skip a generation?

Richard Green (Tom’s Dad) played U/19’s & Reserves for Richmond for 4 years from 1990-1993 before deciding to join the Army.

This was in an era where the seniors were just becoming full time players & the reserves definitely not paid enough from footy to live off— without knowing the story in depth it’s quite possible he gave up footy to go & make money rather than sheer lack of talent.

Can any of the older generation BF posters give more insight into Richard’s footy career as I think he was more talented than dlanod is giving him credit for.

Which is why every single father son works out.

Yep.

That’s it.

Development by highly rated professional coaches has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Actually, I take back my earlier statement about you sounding like every North Supporter with Josh Kelly (and Hawthorn supporter who was convinced Cogs was going there) - you’ve gone over the line and are way worse.

Which is why every single father son works out.

Yep.

That’s it.

Development by highly rated professional coaches has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Actually, I take back my earlier statement about you sounding like every North Supporter with Josh Kelly (and Hawthorn supporter who was convinced Cogs was going there) - you’ve gone over the line and are way worse.
LoL.I'm shattered.

LoL.I'm shattered.

You’re just a troll and the worst kind of troll as you only run on top of the ground. Would have been performing Copperfield style disappearing acts when your team was the embarrassment of the competition, but now re-emerging like a mushroom acting all big and tough. It will be very enjoyable when you start falling back again....and it will happen, it always does.

Going to be a fair points deficit for GWS next year I'd imagine.
With a few assumptions, bid at pick 5, GWS finish 4th 2020, North finish 16th 2020 but not accounting for pick push back by matching bids
GWS’ first pick would be 61ish

You’re just a troll and the worst kind of troll as you only run on top of the ground. Would have been performing Copperfield style disappearing acts when your team was the embarrassment of the competition, but now re-emerging like a mushroom acting all big and tough. It will be very enjoyable when you start falling back again....and it will happen, it always does.
Nice Melt.

I think it’s a great trade for the Crows, but if you take McAsey or Stephens who probably get to 9 otherwise it pretty much evens it up.

Having the option is always nice though
Trades a win-win for both clubs in my eyes.
Giants clearly decided they not only want Tom Green this draft but they also want another pick in top 4, so they will get two high end kids this draft pool , rather than only one. It virtually means those two kids are what they are grabbing as top talent from these next two drafts. Any other kids they grab will simply be project players. I'd rather grab a top 4 pick player a year early than concern myself with what I giving up of an expected pick around 20 next year in their eyes and any late second round picks of that draft.
Crows get an extra late first rounder next year for simply sliding back two spots this draft and if they were unsure of the order of players 4 to 6 in this draft pool, it is no major concern to slide back two spots.

Last edited:

I was responding to a crack about the pick swap with carlton being a fail which is rubbish
It is a fair and reasonable crack, You made a trade last year to get high into a draft and this year have essentially traded back to your original position. If I was a crows fan i'd be questioning what in the hell my list management team were thinking, if we sacked bolton a few weeks earlier you would have lost out massively.

GWS hedging there bets that Melbourne don't bid on Greene at 3 whilst simultaneously matching and picking up a second first round pick in this draft (Jacksn/Young + Greene). Not rating next years draft that highly with the amount of academy prospects already compromising the depth of it.

The one question that needs answering is how highly the 4 academy kids (Jack Driscoll, Josh Fahey, Josh Green, Sam Stening) the Giants have next year are rated? IF they aren't in the top handful (1st round material) then it bodes well for a real bargain anyways.

Green's brother will be the pick of them. KPP, played in the futures game on GF day. Which basically confirms Tom wont be passed on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a fair and reasonable crack, You made a trade last year to get high into a draft and this year have essentially traded back to your original position. If I was a crows fan i'd be questioning what in the hell my list management team were thinking, if we sacked bolton a few weeks earlier you would have lost out massively.
We made an educated guess last year that carlton would be crap in 2019. It was on track until bolton got sacked and carlton before then had backed him in so how were we to know he'd get the chop and deny the crows pick 1. Had carlton kept the faith with bolton for a few more weeks we would have got pick 2. We ended up with pick 3 before GC won the AFL equivelent of xlotto and we had pick 3 shunted to pick 4. So if there was a distinct top 3 and we were just out of that and in the next group of 4-5 players it is utter negligence to not drop 2 spots to gain another 1st round pick. So we are ahead and like many on your board spruiked that you guys were winning the trade on points..not anymore

At the moment it is swapping pick 6 for 9 in favour of the crows and swapping pick 19 for anything between 12 to 18. Any which way you cut it the Crows are better off. That is great list management

We made an educated guess last year that carlton would be crap in 2019. It was on track until bolton got sacked and carlton before then had backed him in so how were we to know he'd get the chop and deny the crows pick 1. Had carlton kept the faith with bolton for a few more weeks we would have got pick 2. We ended up with pick 3 before GC won the AFL equivelent of xlotto and we had pick 3 shunted to pick 4. So if there was a distinct top 3 and we were just out of that and in the next group of 4-5 players it is utter negligence to not drop 2 spots to gain another 1st round pick. So we are ahead and like many on your board spruiked that you guys were winning the trade on points..not anymore
Everyone but Carlton fans can see we had a crack at 1-2 and have now adjusted after missing that.

Stocker might become a really good player but to suggest that our list management needs to be looked at is just stupid. Adelaide are winning that trade
I reckon it has been a win for both in the end. Certainly no team is worse off than before the trade.

I think the reason Carlton fans are so on the attack, is because at the time of the trade, people were saying it was a stupid trade for Carlton (unfairly so imo). So now it has worked out well for Carlton, they got a player they rated highly last year and are no worse off this year. They are now getting their own back.
Personally I feel Carlton have benefited slightly more than Adelaide at this stage, but Adelaide has the opportunity with the GWS pick next year to do something which may swing the advantage their way.

I reckon it has been a win for both in the end. Certainly no team is worse off than before the trade.

I think the reason Carlton fans are so on the attack, is because at the time of the trade, people were saying it was a stupid trade for Carlton (unfairly so imo). So now it has worked out well for Carlton, they got a player they rated highly last year and are no worse off this year. They are now getting their own back.
Personally I feel Carlton have benefited slightly more than Adelaide at this stage, but Adelaide has the opportunity with the GWS pick next year to do something which may swing the advantage their way.

If you look at the numbers there is no way you could possibly come to the conclusion that Carlton have benefited slightly more!

Can any of the older generation BF posters give more insight into Richard’s footy career as I think he was more talented than @dlanod is giving him credit for.
Given these genetics that defy any education I'm shocked that he wasn't a lock for seniors within that time.

Note: not a slight on his talent or ability, just pointing out how stupid the argument is that Green was always going to succeed due to his family history.

If you look at the numbers there is no way you could possibly come to the conclusion that Carlton have benefited slightly more!

Looking at the numbers only puts us ahead.

We traded in a surplus of nearly 400 points. What other numbers are you looking at?

Looking at the numbers only puts us ahead.

We traded in a surplus of nearly 400 points. What other numbers are you looking at?

What has happened with the picks points from the trade. You have 9 and used 19 already. Adelaide has now used your pick 4 to get another pick. These combinations puts the crows in front

What has happened with the picks points from the trade. You have 9 and used 19 already. Adelaide has now used your pick 4 to get another pick. These combinations puts the crows in front

What you do with the picks doesn’t really matter to us.

The trade was pick 19 and Adelaides future first (8, now 9) for Carlton’s future first (3, now 4).

On points, or “numbers”, we come out on top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back