Traded GWS trade pick #24, #30 and 2021 R4 to Collingwood for 2021 R1

Who won this trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me how Pies got pick 30 twice?

They traded 30 before the McIness bid and got back 30 (which was originally 29) after the Reef bid. The original 30 became 31. I think...

Oh right

tenor.gif

Seems a little stance that the Pies were willing to trade their first round pick for next year without receiving further compensation in return for next years draft.

You’d imagine the club will now probably have to trade future picks again next year to get enough picks for Daicos and whatever else they’re looking to do. I understand the club will want to get an abundance of layer picks but is one second rounder and three third rounders enough if he ends up being a top three picks and the club still wants some breathing space?

Seems a little stance that the Pies were willing to trade their first round pick for next year without receiving further compensation in return for next years draft.

You’d imagine the club will now probably have to trade future picks again next year to get enough picks for Daicos and whatever else they’re looking to do. I understand the club will want to get an abundance of layer picks but is one second rounder and three third rounders enough if he ends up being a top three picks and the club still wants some breathing space?
Probably not, plan is probably to pass on Daicos for the lolz and then give up 3 firsts when he comes out of contract.

Collingwood are betting a fair portion of their future on this Daicos kid. It's a lot of pressure for a 17/18 year old.
He's a Daicos, and his 'dud' brother (taken last in his draft year) has become a solid best 22 player for a top 4ish team, his ceiling is unknown, Nick has always been considered the better player.

Josh Daicos has been a revelation, has his old mans tool belt, can't wait to see Nick.

This awful trade keeps getting worse for the pies.

If they had held their pick to this year they could have traded it for a future first and a mountain of points, a gun player, or maybe even a player before Daicos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This awful trade keeps getting worse for the pies.

If they had held their pick to this year they could have traded it for a future first and a mountain of points, a gun player, or maybe even a player before Daicos.

Didn’t mind the trade at the time but obviously looks ugly now. Going to end up worse than that GC/WCE trade a few years back.

Didn’t mind the trade at the time but obviously looks ugly now. Going to end up worse than that GC/WCE trade a few years back.
The pick was always going to worth much more if they held it. Instead they got a couple of players who they may have been able to pick up at the end of the draft for free and they dont have nearly enough points for Daicos and Dibs.
Still, Daicos does look amazing.

If Collingwood somehow get the spoon this will be a nightmare. Could have had Daicos AND pick 1.

Ill certainly be cheering for North this weekend. We look bringing in a top 5 pick (and quite possibly top 2 or 3) our own pick and Fahey (assuming he comes after our pick) and will bring in 3 top 20 picks again.

They have themselves in a bind here, they get Daicos which is clearly a great selection. They go into deficit which will negatively impact next years draft.
If they want to accelerate their rebuild and offload the couple big names they have hitting free agency the following year, they wont really get anything for it as the picks will get used on Daicos.
For their sake, hopefully the players they got in the 20's end up being good players and they can start bringing some youth through for their next tilt.

The entire football world is of course well aware of Collingwood’s infamous 2020 trade period. One of those deals, was the trading of their 2021 first rounder for the 2020 picks 23 & 30 (and a future Geelong first rounder).

The idea of this was to follow the Dogs trend of last year with JUH. The Pies of course wanted to move on their first rounder for to maximise their advantage with Daicos this year and to prevent them from using a first round selection on him this year (to instead use a collection of points.

I can completely appreciate that hindsight is a wonderful thing and I don’t want to take anything away from McInnes/Poulter who they used with this selections. However, much of the talk coming from Collingwood was that they’re focusing on a draft hand, the future of the club ect. I certainly didn’t expect to see Collingwood finish as low as they did but if they were focusing on the future and Bucks going into his last year there was always a chance of them having a significant drop off.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there’s every chance Daicos won’t go pick one, or even if he did they would’ve been in such a great spot to try swapping picks with North to get the number one pick. This would’ve allowed the Pies to use a pick on a top three selection and then still secure Daicos after they’d already used their first selection, essentially giving them two picks in the top three.

I have no doubt the Giants fans are ecstatic, on paper and draft points they’ve comfortably won the trade. Away from that individual tads and who won/loss the actual deal with everything Collingwood could’ve done with Daicos and their massive advantage of being able to take him, does this now make the trade one of the worst deals we’ve seen done since the AFL introduced the ability of clubs to trade future picks? I think it’s ended up horribly bad for the Pies, instead of having two top three picks they’ve ended up with picks 23 & 30.

The entire football world is of course well aware of Collingwood’s infamous 2020 trade period. One of those deals, was the trading of their 2021 first rounder for the 2020 picks 23 & 30 (and a future Geelong first rounder).

The idea of this was to follow the Dogs trend of last year with JUH. The Pies of course wanted to move on their first rounder for to maximise their advantage with Daicos this year and to prevent them from using a first round selection on him this year (to instead use a collection of points.

I can completely appreciate that hindsight is a wonderful thing and I don’t want to take anything away from McInnes/Poulter who they used with this selections. However, much of the talk coming from Collingwood was that they’re focusing on a draft hand, the future of the club ect. I certainly didn’t expect to see Collingwood finish as low as they did but if they were focusing on the future and Bucks going into his last year there was always a chance of them having a significant drop off.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there’s every chance Daicos won’t go pick one, or even if he did they would’ve been in such a great spot to try swapping picks with North to get the number one pick. This would’ve allowed the Pies to use a pick on a top three selection and then still secure Daicos after they’d already used their first selection, essentially giving them two picks in the top three.

I have no doubt the Giants fans are ecstatic, on paper and draft points they’ve comfortably won the trade. Away from that individual tads and who won/loss the actual deal with everything Collingwood could’ve done with Daicos and their massive advantage of being able to take him, does this now make the trade one of the worst deals we’ve seen done since the AFL introduced the ability of clubs to trade future picks? I think it’s ended up horribly bad for the Pies, instead of having two top three picks they’ve ended up with picks 23 & 30.
It isnt just hindsight. Everyone also argued that this was a terrible idea at the time. They just completely lost the plot last year.

Back