GWS -unfair and advantageous early draw

Remove this Banner Ad

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We all know with the skewed fixturing of the AFL how important the first 6 rounds are so i have to bring up how it is possible that one of the top minor round teams of the last couple of years plays 5 bottom sides from last year in the first 6 weeks . Agenda Much .

As far as I can tell, the first 6 rounds aren't actually as important as everyone seems to think.

The first 6 rounds are the worst time to get the younger and lesser teams. They’re still fresh with run and confidence, you’d much rather play a bottom 6 side in the last 1/3 of the season when they start sending guys off for surgery.

The first 6 rounds are the worst time to get the younger and lesser teams. They’re still fresh with run and confidence, you’d much rather play a bottom 6 side in the last 1/3 of the season when they start sending guys off for surgery.

This is so true. Normally once these sides get a few injuries they fall off the cliff but until then they can be quite competitive.

Easy opening weeks means they'll have a hard run later in the season.
Much ado about nothing.

Not really, they don't have a particularly hard draw.

They have 7 games from the top 6 teams only playing Crows (2nd) and Swans (6th) twice from the top 6 teams, 3 are home, 4 are away.
They have 8 games from the 7-12th placed teams playing Eagles (8th) and Saints (11th) twice, 5 are home games, 3 away.
They have 7 games from the 13-18th placed teams playing Brisbane (18th) twice, 3 are home, 4 away.

They ended up getting Swans, Saints and Lions who were extremely low on their respective brackets, a bit soft for a Preliminary Finalist.

I think AFL/C7 are motivated to putting them on telly in a prime time slot as infrequently as humanly possible for a preliminary finalst than making their life easier, i think. They received a bare minimum of Victorian based teams which they can just dump on Foxtel outside of NSW.

AFL don't give a s**t how contrived the schedule is on their road to get the ratings that determine how much of a bonus they can pay themselves.

Not really, they don't have a particularly hard draw.

They have 7 games from the top 6 teams only playing Crows (2nd) and Swans (6th) twice from the top 6 teams, 3 are home, 4 are away.
They have 8 games from the 7-12th placed teams playing Eagles (8th) and Saints (11th) twice, 5 are home games, 3 away.
They have 7 games from the 13-18th placed teams playing Brisbane (18th) twice, 3 are home, 4 away.

They ended up getting Swans, Saints and Lions who were extremely low on their respective brackets, a bit soft for a Preliminary Finalist.

I think AFL/C7 are motivated to putting them on telly in a prime time slot as infrequently as humanly possible for a preliminary finalst than making their life easier, i think. They received a bare minimum of Victorian based teams which they can just dump on Foxtel outside of NSW.

AFL don't give a s**t how contrived the schedule is on their road to get the ratings that determine how much of a bonus they can pay themselves.
Also got Swans, Port, Cats away from home.
Their draw isn't massively softer than other top 6 clubs. You either get 2-3 double ups and they got 2.

Oh well. Poor whinge thread is poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also got Swans, Port, Cats away from home.
Their draw isn't massively softer than other top 6 clubs. You either get 2-3 double ups and they got 2.

Oh well. Poor whinge thread is poor.

They play Adelaide and Swans twice, so they will play them away by default. They play Geelong (away), Port (away) and Richmond (home) once. The Geelong game is round 7, Richmond is round 17 and Port round 18. Their harder games are well spaced out and their one-off games aren't early.

I haven't looked at the other top 6 clubs, not sure if easier or not.

We finished bottom 4 and play Swans twice from the top 6, Saints & Dogs from the middle group plus Gold Coast and Brisbane from the bottom group. So between bottom 4 and top 4 the only real difference is one less game against Crows and one extra game against GC. When you are not that far off a bottom 4 team's draw it isn't Herculean.

They play Adelaide and Swans twice, so they will play them away by default. They play Geelong (away), Port (away) and Richmond (home) once. The Geelong game is round 7, Richmond is round 17 and Port round 18. Their harder games are well spaced out and their one-off games aren't early.

I haven't looked at the other top 6 clubs, not sure if easier or not.

We finished bottom 4 and play Swans twice from the top 6, Saints & Dogs from the middle group plus Gold Coast and Brisbane from the bottom group. So between bottom 4 and top 4 the only real difference is one less game against Crows and one extra game against GC. When you are not that far off a bottom 4 team's draw it isn't Herculean.

This is the system. It’s not being set out to favour GWS. Top 6 and Bottom 6 can have 2-3 from their own band and 0-1 from the complete other end. They got two.

Oh well.

Last year by any objective measure we had the hardest draw in the comp. This year with double ups against the Swans, Crows, Eagles, Saints and Lions it looks a bit easier.

My only regret is we didn't get the Tigers at the G. A challenge is good and we lost to them twice there last year. We do get the Crows at AO and that's great, as is Geelong at their place. Port at home as well, and their not looking like pushovers this year.

As for every year will travel more often than any other club, and not cry about it. Unlike the OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back