Preview GWS v. Port R20 - Sunday 1 Aug 2021, Marvel, 6:10 Eastern

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS are a infinitely better side with Toby back in. They are pushing for Canberra, that I'm almost sure would mean our players having to quarantine back in SA on return? That can't happen so think we can lock Gold Coast in. That helps us.

Duursma and Butters with the run under their belts should improve Fantasia in with luck?

Think we are ok here which still worries me.
I don't reckon we can lock anything in yet, with regard to where this will be played. News of a potential positive case in Queensland could mean anything, so Victoria could yet be the venue.

I'm generally quite positive about our chances but I think we drop this one.

Mainly because we still don't know how to enter 50 and Haynes will likely take 11 billion intercept marks again.
Haynes is the ultimate test for our 4 talls set up.

Can we keep him accountable?

Can we get enough separation to go around him?

Or de we once again play right into his hands.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Toby Greene and Coniglio back. Good test, neutral venue. I reckon if we win this, we should be confident of sneaking in to the top 4.

Toby Greene and Coniglio back. Good test, neutral venue. I reckon if we win this, we should be confident of sneaking in to the top 4.

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet. We are only a game ahead of both Brisbane and Sydney. I expect Brisbane to win out, and Sydney will likely win out as well. Given the percentage particularly with Brisbane, we could win out next 3, lose to the dogs and bam Brisbane go ahead of us and we are out of the top 4.

I have more hope actually of Melbourne missing out on the top 4. They still play West Coast in Perth and Geelong. I dont think they'll win either. If they only win 2 of their last 4 and we win our next 3, the final game for us against the dogs will not be a determining factor as to whether or not we make the top 4.

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet. We are only a game ahead of both Brisbane and Sydney. I expect Brisbane to win out, and Sydney will likely win out as well. Given the percentage particularly with Brisbane, we could win out next 3, lose to the dogs and bam Brisbane go ahead of us and we are out of the top 4.

I have more hope actually of Melbourne missing out on the top 4. They still play West Coast in Perth and Geelong. I dont think they'll win either. If they only win 2 of their last 4 and we win our next 3, the final game for us against the dogs will not be a determining factor as to whether or not we make the top 4.
I agree. I reckon Melb could drop to 6th. If they lose to eagles and cats, they wont finish top 4.

As the late Dame Vera Lynn once sang,

We'll play again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when
But I know we'll play again some sunny day

Well it went something like that. Looking at the AFL website it doesn't seem to matter where we go outside of Victoria we will have to quarantine. As of this morning Queensland actually had more local cases of COVID than Victoria or South Australia yet everyone appears to be jetting up to Queensland.

Nil COVID cases in ACT, yet can't play a game of footy here. Staggering really.

The ACT needs to close the border with NSW. I imagine there would be several thousand GWS supporters crossing into the ACT to watch GWS take on Port. There has to be a risk associated with that. The AFL are not the only ones who will not play in the ACT as the NRL have also directed Raiders matches away from Canberra and I reckon the reasoning would be the same, neither code wants to be seen as the spreader of virus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ACT needs to close the border with NSW. I imagine there would be several thousand GWS supporters crossing into the ACT to watch GWS take on Port. There has to be a risk associated with that. The AFL are not the only ones who will not play in the ACT as the NRL have also directed Raiders matches away from Canberra and I reckon the reasoning would be the same, neither code wants to be seen as the spreader of virus.
Yep, that's well understood here. Closing the border is unfortunately not possible, but anyone coming from Sydney is required to register and isolate for 14 days. No fans from Sydney would attend so it would be like playing to an empty stadium.

Yep, that's well understood here. Closing the border is unfortunately not possible, but anyone coming from Sydney is required to register and isolate for 14 days. No fans from Sydney would attend so it would be like playing to an empty stadium.

Under those circumstances you could think about playing in Canberra but it would probably only be you and Waspy there with a bunch of vote catching pollies.
What sort of crowd are we likely to attract in Queensland?
Geez, Cap you have missed the Sharks and the Power in Canberra, you have not done well.

Under those circumstances you could think about playing in Canberra but it would probably only be you and Waspy there with a bunch of vote catching pollies.
What sort of crowd are we likely to attract in Queensland?
Geez, Cap you have missed the Sharks and the Power in Canberra, you have not done well.
To be honest it's a small price to pay especially compared to you blokes in SA and Vic who have missed a boat load of footy. Yeah I would have loved to have been there but it isn't a good idea and I'm pleased that's been recognised.

I liked Richo's comment in the last email that the boys are ready to play anywhere, anytime. Compare that with the entitled Victorians, especially last year.

Massive game. We drop this we can probably kiss goodbye top 4. We prob have to win out from here given the run home Brisbane and Sydney have and or rely on Melbourne losing to both Geelong and west coast.

I did the ladder predictor today and had us finishing 6th with 16 wins. Ridiculous that 16 wins may only be good enough for 6th place this year. I only selected the wins though and not margins and the percentages between us and Sydney 5th were tight.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS has several thousand supporters? Surely you jest?

Sunday, August 1 Hawthorn v Brisbane at UTAS Stadium, 2.10pm AEST (FOX)
GWS Giants v Port Adelaide at TBC, 3.10pm AEST (FOX)
Fremantle v Richmond at Optus Stadium, 3.10pm AWST (FOX)

Ward was going to be rested last week before Coniglio was injured and Mumford is likely due for a rest. Could be a couple of big outs to go with those ins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back