Preview GWS v. Port R20 - Sunday 1 Aug 2021, Marvel, 6:10 Eastern

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
banner.png
Travis Boak - 301 Games, PAFC AFL Games Record Holder - we salute you.

The Giants are the only team we are yet to play. Our record in Canberra is abysmal (1-5, with the win coming against a young Giants outfit in 2014), but it would seem that won't matter as it is unlikely that Manuka will remain the host, despite full crowds being currently allowed here. The AFL needs to negotiate with at least three State/Territory leaders to reach a compromise here, which would on the surface put the game at risk anywhere. I guess they could park it to the Sunday afternoon in Ballarat, but that shouldn't faze us (if it's Metricon though, the surface is getting pretty chopped up and we'd be nervous about injuries).

GWS are something of a bogey team in recent years - we've won only one (last year) of the last six, and we have struggled to score against them in that time (average F/A in the last 6 is 64-87).

Win-loss overall is 5-6 going back to the infamous "Primus game" in 2012:
2020 R6 63-46 W Metricon
2019 R19 55-56 L Adelaide Oval
2018 R18 58-80 L Adelaide Oval
2017 R4 81-112 L Manuka Oval
2016 R18 60-79 L Adelaide Oval
2016 R4 65-151 L Manuka Oval
2015 R20 111-90 W Adelaide Oval
2014 R7 132-97 W Manuka Oval
2013 R12 125-50 W Syd Showground
2013 R2 134-78 W Football Park
2012 R19 73-107 L Syd Showground

GWS are one of five teams battling for the last spot in the eight. Their form is all over the shop - in recent games they lost to Hawthorn and drew with North but beat Melbourne and scraped in against Essendon. They've had a few close wins and got pretty close to Sydney a couple of weeks ago with most of their side in quarantine. They look a better side with Mumford, who seems to be able to get away with just about anything.

On paper they look better than they are. If they get midfield dominance they are capable of a score (as they did against the Crows when the latter had some reasonable early season form), and Davis will doubtless take a record number of intercept marks if we persist with bombing into 50. I'm assuming Toby Greene is still out, but there are still players like Whitfield (possibly still under an injury cloud) and Kelly who will be dangerous off the lead. Hogan will need some accountability.

Their fans deplore their inefficiency in F50 and are screaming for a new coach, so I'm assuming they aren't Giants fans at all, but you lot with alt accounts. It took them until the 4th quarter last week to gain any kind of ascendancy over Essendon, which put them back in the eight at the Dons' expense.

We've been consistent against the lower teams, our Triumvirate of Doom will be better for the run last week, and there is a chance Orazio is back (and Lachie too?). Scotty copped a fine from the Collingwood game but is free to play here. It's hard to see us losing this one if it's played in Melbourne, especially indoors.

Port to take the Hombsch-Neade Shield (aka the Dingle Memorial Trophy) by 4 goals in a fairly dour low-scoring game, Butters BOG.

View attachment 1186802
Travis Boak - 301 Games, PAFC AFL Games Record Holder - we salute you.

The Giants are the only team we are yet to play. Our record in Canberra is abysmal (1-5, with the win coming against a young Giants outfit in 2014), but it would seem that won't matter as it is unlikely that Manuka will remain the host, despite full crowds being currently allowed here. The AFL needs to negotiate with at least three State/Territory leaders to reach a compromise here, which would on the surface put the game at risk anywhere. I guess they could park it to the Sunday afternoon in Ballarat, but that shouldn't faze us (if it's Metricon though, the surface is getting pretty chopped up and we'd be nervous about injuries).

GWS are something of a bogey team in recent years - we've won only one (last year) of the last six, and we have struggled to score against them in that time (average F/A in the last 6 is 64-87).

Win-loss overall is 5-6 going back to the infamous "Primus game" in 2012:
2020 R6 63-46 W Metricon
2019 R19 55-56 L Adelaide Oval
2018 R18 58-80 L Adelaide Oval
2017 R4 81-112 L Manuka Oval
2016 R18 60-79 L Adelaide Oval
2016 R4 65-151 L Manuka Oval
2015 R20 111-90 W Adelaide Oval
2014 R7 132-97 W Manuka Oval
2013 R12 125-50 W Syd Showground
2013 R2 134-78 W Football Park
2012 R19 73-107 L Syd Showground

GWS are one of five teams battling for the last spot in the eight. Their form is all over the shop - in recent games they lost to Hawthorn and drew with North but beat Melbourne and scraped in against Essendon. They've had a few close wins and got pretty close to Sydney a couple of weeks ago with most of their side in quarantine. They look a better side with Mumford, who seems to be able to get away with just about anything.

On paper they look better than they are. If they get midfield dominance they are capable of a score (as they did against the Crows when the latter had some reasonable early season form), and Davis will doubtless take a record number of intercept marks if we persist with bombing into 50. I'm assuming Toby Greene is still out, but there are still players like Whitfield (possibly still under an injury cloud) and Kelly who will be dangerous off the lead. Hogan will need some accountability.

Their fans deplore their inefficiency in F50 and are screaming for a new coach, so I'm assuming they aren't Giants fans at all, but you lot with alt accounts. It took them until the 4th quarter last week to gain any kind of ascendancy over Essendon, which put them back in the eight at the Dons' expense.

We've been consistent against the lower teams, our Triumvirate of Doom will be better for the run last week, and there is a chance Orazio is back (and Lachie too?). Scotty copped a fine from the Collingwood game but is free to play here. It's hard to see us losing this one if it's played in Melbourne, especially indoors.

Port to take the Hombsch-Neade Shield (aka the Dingle Memorial Trophy) by 4 goals in a fairly dour low-scoring game, Butters BOG.
Think they back dated Greene's quarantine so he can play this wk 🤮

We don't have many weeks to find our rhythm and perhaps this is the week to find it

Perhaps getting some run with Fantasia's return and an extra week into the legs of rozee, duurs and butters will do the trick

4. Port's unpredictable forward line is its biggest weapon

That young star Mitch Georgiades went from kicking four goals in round 18 to none six days later was almost welcomed by coach Ken Hinkley as others took their chances in a gritty win against Collingwood. Todd Marshall emerged from a goalless fortnight to boot 3.0 and Charlie Dixon had his best return this season with 4.3. Marshall reflects the unpredictability of the Power forward line better than anyone. He has booted multiple goals on seven occasions this season and gone goalless on six. His role in the team was defended passionately on Friday night by Hinkley, who knows his talls will continue to take their turn when it presents. With weapons at ground level and Robbie Gray and Orazio Fantasia to return, the forwards shape as an opposition analyst's nightmare in the run to September. - Nathan Schmook

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea how they're going to get this game done. Looks like we'll have to forfeit the SANFL season too you'd think if they restart next week. That's going to be a huge competitive disadvantage heading into finals. Seasons turning into a shambles.

GWS scare me significantly, if they actually start to click they're a contender. Luckily they have the worst coach in the comp and as a result are totally reliant on their extreme skill and luck.

Any win this week would be a good result. We have a tendency to let our opponents get rolling early, thus making our job much harder than it should be and we can't afford to do that this week. They have weapons everywhere that will worry us, we just need to make sure we don't let their mids have their way.

4 games to go, we need 4 wins. Get it done.

I didn't see today's game, but I assume that Mumford clobbered someone clumsily, provoking hearty guffaws?

Ah playing the Giants with Ken as coach. Usually selections have gone:
Ken: Guys they are literally called Giants! So we obviously can't match them for height, so lets drop a bunch of talls and run them off their feet!
Everyone else: ...
Ken: It's settled then! Neade to full forward.

For all his other (many) faults if 2020 onwards Ken can keep our tall forwards in, at least I won't want to stab my eyes out at watching another Intercept marking record be broken. The biggest concerns are Wines needing more help in the centre, which hopefully with some rust off Butters can provide and our tall backs. Time for Jonas to put in a game again that'd have him selected even if he wasn't Captain. Otherwise Captain or not he should go out for Clurey the following week.

Last edited:
The Giants are one of those teams whose whole is often less than the sum of their parts, but if they do click, they are very dangerous.

Hoping to see more of the injured troops filtering back, perhaps Fantasia and/or Jones.

It would be good if we would continue to free the players up to play a flowing game, and now work on reducing our clanger count and improving the connection with the forwards.

If we win this, we should be able to take care of the next couple (Crows, Carlolton), leaving the R23 clash with the Dogs as critical to the season - we must work on building to that game, starting here. Maybe it started last Thursday...

Their fans deplore their inefficiency in F50 and are screaming for a new coach, so I'm assuming they aren't Giants fans at all, but you lot with alt accounts.

GWS are a infinitely better side with Toby back in. They are pushing for Canberra, that I'm almost sure would mean our players having to quarantine back in SA on return? That can't happen so think we can lock Gold Coast in. That helps us.

Duursma and Butters with the run under their belts should improve Fantasia in with luck?

Think we are ok here which still worries me.

I'm generally quite positive about our chances but I think we drop this one.

Mainly because we still don't know how to enter 50 and Haynes will likely take 11 billion intercept marks again.

This one scares me but with our big ins having a week to settle (Butters & Duurs) and the form of Drew and Houston I think we are just too good right now to lose.

The good thing about our forward line now is that we have three tall guys that can kick multiple goals. Stop Todd & MG and Dix might get off the chain, etc.

Just need to keep building in to finals. We get one more crack in round 23 to show that we can beat the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back