AFLW GWS v Richmond Saturday March 5, 5.10 pm Giants Stadium

1645999090313.png

No better way in dealing with an upset loss than by moving right on to the next game.

Last edited:
This week is fine, round 10 is the problem.

You think Tessa will play?

She would most likely have to miss the Spirit game at 3pm on the Sunday. Don't think there's enough recovery time after we play Giants.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You think Tessa will play?

She would most likely have to miss the Spirit game at 3pm on the Sunday. Don't think there's enough recovery time after we play Giants.

I imagine Tessa has played Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday previously. As both teams are playing dead rubbers she may prefer to rest from one side which is probably AFLW.

Clearly this Is uninformed speculation but I prefer to think of it as an educated guess.

I imagine Tessa has played Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday previously. As both teams are playing dead rubbers she may prefer to rest from one side which is probably AFLW.

Clearly this Is uninformed speculation but I prefer to think of it as an educated guess.

Pretty sure she has played AFLW not long after playing for the Spirit but not the other way around.

There were some games earlier in the season that were going to clash but her basketball games were cancelled due to COVID so the issue didn’t eventuate.

Vision of cw training , moving well, tip she ll play , will be a great help if she does
But was it contact training? - shoulders taking contact make a huge difference and she's not getting any younger recovery-wise!

Pretty sure she has played AFLW not long after playing for the Spirit but not the other way around.

There were some games earlier in the season that were going to clash but her basketball games were cancelled due to COVID so the issue didn’t eventuate.
Think Bendigo played yesterday in Tassie (a win) and then again on the 6th - doubt she would play even if it was the other way around - nearly no chance I'd guess unless some sort of prior arrangement was agreed to.

1646346514554.png

Gemma Bastiani

Greater Western Sydney v Richmond at GIANTS Stadium, 5.10pm AEDT

• Injuries and player unavailability has plagued both the Giants and Tigers this year, causing them to be inconsistent. Impressive at their best, but totally dominated at their worst. As part of this, both sides are allowing the most marks inside 50 to be taken on them, with 7.6 each week. At times, an inability to slow opposition ball movement higher up the field has left their backlines out to dry as key forwards have found aerial control. Another key to this metric is defences always remaining switched on, not assuming that they can take a rest as an opposition player lines up for goal. We saw the Giants caught out in this respect more than once last week.
  • Richmond's efficiency inside 50 is also a concern for the Giants. The Tigers average a goal 21.7 per cent of the time they go inside 50, while GWS concedes the most shots on goal (16.8) and shot efficiency (52.3 per cent) of any team this year. If they are to combat Richmond's efficiency, the Giants need to apply pressure high up the field and not allow the Tigers any easy ball movement in the forward half.
  • This will really come down to whoever can control territory better. GWS by one point.

Think Bendigo played yesterday in Tassie (a win) and then again on the 6th - doubt she would play even if it was the other way around - nearly no chance I'd guess unless some sort of prior arrangement was agreed to.

Earlier in the year she travelled from Melb to Bendigo for a Friday training session with the Spirit, then travelled to Ballarat for the game on the Saturday against Perth in the WNBL, drove back to Melbourne that night and jumped on a plane next morning to Gold Coast to play in the Tigers R4 clash at Metricon.

She is resilient. I guess as a seasoned athlete she has the experience to manage the juggling and it sounds like Bendigo and the Tigers work pretty closely together.

Maybe she will miss the WNBL game on the 6th. Even though Bendigo have improved, winning 5 games compared to last years zero it looks like they are little chance of top 4 finish and finals action.

Vision of cw training , moving well, tip she ll play , will be a great help if she does

I think she needs to go around again next year, Can't finish on a year like this. ;)

I think she needs to go around again next year, Can't finish on a year like this. ;)
Absolutely agree - that said family life with all that travel - often plays harder on a Mum...

Richmond has made four changes to its line-up for Saturday's clash against Greater Western Sydney at Giants Stadium.

The Tigers will finally welcome back key forward Courtney Wakefield, who suffered an SC joint injury in Round 2 against Melbourne. The veteran Tiger, ever-reliable in front of goal, will provide Richmond with a strong marking target up forward.

The 34-year-old said making her long-awaited return felt "more special than Christmas morning".

"It feels like lifetime, to be honest. We've been patiently waiting in the wings for our return and we've stuck to the course and here we are," she said.

"When you move away from your family and friends back home to play football, and when you're not doing that (football), it's extremely hard. So, to get that chance again when we didn't think it was going to be an option this season is really exciting.

Wakefield said the Tigers were "up and about" ahead of their second last game of the home-and-away season, and their last interstate trip.

"It's been a heck of a season for the playing group, but the beauty of football is that there's always next week," she said.

"And we're seeing this as a really good opportunity for us to fly interstate and give it a red-hot crack.

"This is our third interstate trip of the season and we love getting out of Melbourne. We've got fans all across Australia so to get to play in Sydney is really exciting."

Cross-code athlete Tessa Lavey will also come back into the Tigers' line-up after missing last weekend's match against Geelong due to basketball commitments.

Livewire forward Tiger Emelia Yassir, who also didn't play in Round 8 due to an ankle injury, has also been named to return.

Rounding out the Tigers' inclusions is former All-Australian Christina Bernardi, who was a late out last weekend due to quad soreness.

The inclusions replace injured duo Kodi Jacques (ankle) and Tayla Stahl (knee), as well first-year Tigers Meg Macdonald and Stella Reid, who have both been omitted.

Macdonald and Reid have been named as Richmond's emergency for the clash.

Saturday's match at Giants Stadium kicks off at 5.10pm and will be broadcast live on Fox Footy and Kayo Sports.

Richmond's Round 9 AFLW team v Greater Western Sydney:

B Sarah D’Arcy, Bec Miller

HB Beth Lynch, Jess Hosking, Maddy Shevlin

C Kate Dempsey, Sarah Hosking, Tessa Lavey

HF Emelia Yassir, Maddy Brancatisano, Christina Bernardi

F Katie Brennan, Courtney Wakefield

R Gabby Seymour, Ellie McKenzie, Monique Conti

I/C Sarah Sansonetti, Meagan Kiely, Sophie Molan, Poppy Kelly, Akec Makur Chuot

Emg Meg Macdonald, Stella Reid

In: Bernardi, Wakefield, Yassir, Lavey

Out: Jacques (ankle), Stahl (knee), Reid (omitted), Macdonald (omitted)

Not far off our best side I suppose, Cordner aside, the margin of the players missing to the players who are borderline in the side is not that great. Be a big effort if Lavey plays WNBL for Bendigo in Bendigo the next day!

Surprised with Yassir - at the start of the week she was listed as a mid term injury / absence - good to have her back!

Gee Brennan will appreciate having Wakefield back!

Surprised with Yassir - at the start of the week she was listed as a mid term injury / absence - good to have her back!

Gee Brennan will appreciate having Wakefield back!

Yeah not sure what that was all about.

Back