VFL GWS VFL 2023 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately this game against Swans, who were third last, was one we needed to win to make the VFL playoffs. However, at 8-8 we are still alive, with just a win (and considerable %) away from the 9th/10th playoff spot, with two games left for the home and away season - against second last Northern Bullants and Geelong Reserves (who are are half a game behind us).

We are just % behind the tenth VFL final spot, with just one game against mid table Geelong (who are out of finals contention) left next week. Unfortunately, our % is not good, so will need a lot of results to go our way, in addition to beating Geelong, to make the VFL finals.

Here's the VFL team for today (sorry, I'm away from home & busy, so out of whack with what I normally do in the forum):

Braydon Preuss has also overcome injury to play his first game of the season when GWS visits Northern Bullants at Genis Steel Oval. Preuss hasn’t played since Round 21 last year due to a back injury but will make a late run at helping the Giants make the finals in one or both grades when he returns alongside Academy prospects Charlie McCormack, who will be on debut, and Harvey Thomas. Josh Fahey and Toby McMullin have been promoted to the AFL team and Will Shaw is out with a cheek injury.

NORTHERN BULLANTS vs GWS GIANTS​

Saturday 12 August, 12:05pm, Genis Steel Oval
Head-to-head: GWS Giants 1-0. At Genis Steel Oval: GWS Giants 1-0. Streak: GWS Giants 1

NORTHERN BULLANTS
B:
E. Mantas (40), D. O'Dwyer (20), S. Johnson (7)
HB: R. Gardner (17), B. Smith (26), D. Laurie (35)
C: M. King (10), P. Fairlie (8), C. Di Stefano (44)
HF: W. Sexton (9), Z. Morris (43), N. Honey (24)
F: J. Barling (21), F. Maley (36), H. Grace (38)
R: F. Delbridge (33), J. Velissaris (3), D. Clarke (28)
INT: A. Armstrong (27), H. Barrett (41), B. Barnes (42), B. Ham (48), B. Ryan (47)
EMG: T. Kelly (45), M. Edwards (16), J. Buchanan (50)

IN: C. Di Stefano, H. Grace, B. Ham, B. Ryan, B. Smith
OUT: J. Chubb, P. Gentile (concussion), B. Holian, B. Hurley, W. Richards
NEW: Charlie Di Stefano, 19, 185cm, 76kg, Shepparton United

GWS GIANTS
B:
J. Anderson (51), R. Hebron (47), B. O'Connor (52)
HB: W. Clark (56), C. Fleeton (29), J. Wehr (10)
C: J. Gillbee (42), C. Stone (18), D. Edmends (50)
HF: J. Peatling (20), C. McCormack (69)*, J. Creighton (54)
F: W. Derksen (45), A. Cadman (5), B. Preuss (11)
R: M. Flynn (30), J. Pavlidis (48), H. Rowston (24)
INT: D. Posthuma (67), N. Madden (41), H. Thomas (62), M. Ryan (49), T. Moraschi (60)
EMG: G. Varagiannis, B. Romensky, A. Mathieson, D. Gauci

IN: C. McCormack, B. Preuss, H. Thomas
OUT: J. Fahey, T. McMullin (AFL), W. Shaw (cheek)
NEW: Charlie McCormack, 18, 198cm, 77kg, Coolamon/Giants Academy

Aaron Cadman went huge in the Giants' 76-point drubbing of the Northern Bullants on Saturday. The number one draft selection kicked eight goals from 21 disposals and 12 marks in a performance that could get his confidence rolling and ready to make an impression back at AFL level.

Ruckman Matt Flynn slotted four goals of his own from 15 disposals while fellow big man Braydon Preuss had 20 touches, 26 hitouts and 11 clearances. Preuss shared the game-high clearance tally with James Peatling, who had another game-high with eight tackles and a team-high 38 disposals.

Youngsters Harry Rowston (25 disposals, seven clearances and a goal) and Cam Fleeton (21 disposals, eight marks) were both busy in the big win.
Wade Derksen kicked two goals, Jason Gilbee kicked one from 10 touches and Nick Madden had 16 hitouts.

Cadman kicked 8.3 with 21 touches and 12 marks!!!!
This will really put pressure back on Riccardi. I watched the last qtr and he looked really good. Great for his confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Breakout game!!

It's a good response to getting dropped.

Kicking 8.3 in a single VFL game is one thing. Kicking 6.4 in a dozen AFL games is another.
1st year key forward, as the second or third target… is about as tough as it gets. They are playing on guys much stronger and fitter than themselves. Give him two years to find his feet.

It's a good response to getting dropped.

Kicking 8.3 in a single VFL game is one thing. Kicking 6.4 in a dozen AFL games is another.
Cadman's had a lot of "nearly" moments to date: nearly takes marks, nearly kicks a goal etc. All fine for a first year KPF as Giant Pete stated.

He's had a good run in AFL to get the feel for what he needs to do, and had a few stints in VFL to try to apply what he's learned in an easier comp. However, I think he hasn't kicked more than 2 goals in a game until last week. So, to kick 3 in a low-scoring team and follow it up with 8 in a high scoring team (plus a couple of goal assists dropping it straight to someone in goal-kicking range) over the last two weeks indicates - to a degree - that he's learning. Bullants are not a great team, so temper the enthusiasm, but my point was simply that the GWS team would welcome seeing his growth. Even just the fact that he kicked straight (and a few of those demonstrated allowing for wind were top notch) with 8.3 is an improvement.

As you say, the next challenge will be to get consistency at AFL level (even is that's just kicking 2 to 3 goals on a regular basis).

Last edited:
Last outing this week for season 2023 for the VFL team. Even a win over the Cats won't get us into finals - a disappointing result after early-season form.

VFL Ladder.png

GEELONG CATS vs GWS GIANTS​

Saturday 19 August, 11:05am, GMHBA Stadium
Head-to-head: Geelong 1-0. At GMHBA Stadium: Geelong 1-0. Streak: Geelong 1

GEELONG CATS
B:
F. Kroeger (25), B. Van De Heuvel (55), D. Capiron (50)
HB: M. Herbert (62), R. Eyers (75), O. Mullin (34)
C: M. Knevitt (10), M. Hardie (41), C. Whyte (11)
HF: S. Menegola (27), P. Foster (19), B. Ham (47)
F: O. Dempsey (28), T. Clohesy (40), O. Riccardi (21)
R: T. Conway (6), C. Guthrie (29), B. Parfitt (3)
INT: K. Annand (87), S. Simpson (37), A. Byrne (81), E. Hollard (83)*, J. Chalcraft (57)
EMG: B. Crofts (48), M. Lloyd (52), L. Bond (60), T. Watts (72), O. Morrison (73), B. Lloyd (74), T. Lovell (78)

IN: A. Byrne, T. Conway, C. Guthrie, E. Hollard, B. Parfitt, S. Simpson
OUT: J. Bews (AFL), B. Lloyd, M. Lloyd, T. Lovell, G. Stevens, T. Watts
NEW: Euriah Hollard, 20, 175cm, 74kg, Newtown & Chilwell/GWS VFL

GWS GIANTS
B:
J. Anderson (51), P. Davis (1), B. O'Connor (52)
HB: W. Clark (56), C. Fleeton (29), R. Hebron (47)
C:
J. Gillbee (42), D. Gauci (64), R. Angwin (9)
HF:
J. Peatling (20), A. Cadman (5), C. Stone (18)
F:
W. Derksen (45), B. Preuss (11), D. Edmends (50)
R:
M. Flynn (30), J. Pavlidis (48), H. Rowston (24)
INT:
D. Posthuma (67), N. Madden (41), A. Mathieson (58), G. Varagiannis (66), J. Delana (60)*
EMG:

IN:
R. Angwin, P. Davis, J. Delana, A. Mathieson, C. Stone
OUT:
J. Creighton, C. McCormack, T. Moraschi, M. Ryan, H. Thomas
NEW: Josaia Delana, 17, East Coast Eagles/Giants Academy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost 78-92 to Geelong Reserves. Bit sad that we couldn’t give Phil Davis a win in his (probable) last game for us.

Our final 9 wins-9 losses record means we unfortunately missed out on the finals by just one game (and considerable %). Finished up 12th.

Given that we have only played in the VFL since 2021 (and the 2021 season was abandoned due to Covid), this was our best ever VFL performance!

I went to the game, rather than watch it on the live stream. You do get a better perspective than the narrower view which the stream gives.

I think the best that could be said was that the Giants hung in there. After the Cats broke away in the second quarter to about a three goal buffer, we never really looked threatening enough to make it up. The Cats today were a step above, ‘teaming’ much better. They always seemed to have a better spread to receive the quick handball, the overlap kick, the run out of trouble and the receiving mark on either the run or lead. Consequently they were cleaner whilst we were under pressure and had more forced/unforced errors.

No Giant player really seemed to dominate their position.

The stoppages/clearances statistically were even but they got better value as I think Conway was more directed with his work. We were better when Flynn played in the ruck; Madden is genuinely a ‘work in progress’ but it is very hit or miss for advantage, as is his work around the ground. Rowston and O’Connor were serviceable, Angwin and Peatling accumulated possessions but again not of such quality that it damaged the opposition.

The forwards were disappointing even though the delivery into them was less than expected. The KPF seemed to be out-marked too often and the ball came out too easily. Of the bigger players Cadman looked the best both in competing and working hard. Flynn didn’t make the most of his forward opportunities fluffing some, his role forward seemed similar to what Keeffe is doing in the seniors. Derksen was always there abouts without really impacting. I have always thought of him competing for a spot with Cadman, Riccardi and perhaps Hogan; but seeing him up close for the first time I wonder if he is more a third tall fulfilling the role which Brown seems to have taken. Stone did one or two very good things without having a big influence.

The backs fought it out well. Davis and Fleeton the leaders; the former always encouraging even from the bench. If he retires I hope we keep him in some leadership role, either on or off the field. He is just too good to lose.

Special mention to Academy member Daniel Gauci; he was a cut-above the non-listed (and some listed!) players today, in effort and results.

All of the above is IMHO!

I went to the game, rather than watch it on the live stream. You do get a better perspective than the narrower view which the stream gives.

I think the best that could be said was that the Giants hung in there. After the Cats broke away in the second quarter to about a three goal buffer, we never really looked threatening enough to make it up. The Cats today were a step above, ‘teaming’ much better. They always seemed to have a better spread to receive the quick handball, the overlap kick, the run out of trouble and the receiving mark on either the run or lead. Consequently they were cleaner whilst we were under pressure and had more forced/unforced errors.

No Giant player really seemed to dominate their position.

The stoppages/clearances statistically were even but they got better value as I think Conway was more directed with his work. We were better when Flynn played in the ruck; Madden is genuinely a ‘work in progress’ but it is very hit or miss for advantage, as is his work around the ground. Rowston and O’Connor were serviceable, Angwin and Peatling accumulated possessions but again not of such quality that it damaged the opposition.

The forwards were disappointing even though the delivery into them was less than expected. The KPF seemed to be out-marked too often and the ball came out too easily. Of the bigger players Cadman looked the best both in competing and working hard. Flynn didn’t make the most of his forward opportunities fluffing some, his role forward seemed similar to what Keeffe is doing in the seniors. Derksen was always there abouts without really impacting. I have always thought of him competing for a spot with Cadman, Riccardi and perhaps Hogan; but seeing him up close for the first time I wonder if he is more a third tall fulfilling the role which Brown seems to have taken. Stone did one or two very good things without having a big influence.

The backs fought it out well. Davis and Fleeton the leaders; the former always encouraging even from the bench. If he retires I hope we keep him in some leadership role, either on or off the field. He is just too good to lose.

Special mention to Academy member Daniel Gauci; he was a cut-above the non-listed (and some listed!) players today, in effort and results.

All of the above is IMHO!
Great post!

A couple of interesting titbits for NSWACT football and GWS came out of today’s game.

After the match I noticed a number of GWS players were greeting and talking for an extended period to the Cats player number 41.

This player was Mitch Hardie (Date of Birth: 05 September 1997). A quick internet search revealed that Hardie, described as an ‘explosive mid-fielder’, had only recently been taken by Geelong in the mid-season draft from Woodville-West Torrens (SANFL). Prior to that his football pedigree was the Canberra Demons (NEAFL) and originally Leeton-Whitton United (NSW).

And yes he was a GWS Academy member:

1692431084788.png

Also for the Cats was new top-up player Euriah Hollard (20, 175 cm) who from 2018 boarded at Geelong College and subsequently was a Geelong Falcons player. He currently plies his trade in local GFL side ‘Newtown and Chillwell Football Club’. He had a most successful game:

1692431167305.png

Prior to the above he was originally from Lavington NSW and whilst boarding at Geelong Grammar he played for NSW/ACT in the 2019 Under 16 National Championships Division 2; when he kicked the most goals for his side (6).

Last year he played two games in the VFL, for the Giants!:

1692431206503.png

Last edited:
AFL.com.au write-up from the game:

Greater Western Sydney missed its chance to jump into the top eight after it fell short by 14 points against Geelong on Saturday.

Forward James Peatling was among everything and finished with a game-high eight clearances, five marks as well as a game-high 29 touches.

Ruckman Matt Flynn impressed with 20 hitouts and had four clearances and six tackles, while first-year player Harry Rowston collected 19 disposals and four clearances.

No.1 pick Aaron Cadman led the way up forward with an equal game-high three goals to go with his five marks and four tackles.

Former captain Phil Davis had 19 touches and seven marks, while fellow defender Cameron Fleeton finished with a game-high nine marks to go with his 15 disposals.

Conor Stone (one goal, four tackles), Ryan Angwin (17 disposals, six tackles) and Wade Derksen (10, one goal) also had impact.

H&A ladder:

VFL 1-10.png
VFL 11-20.png

Just one GWS VFL player in the 40-man squad for the VFL team of the year:

Cameron Fleeton, GWS Giants
15 matches this season
Averages 22.7 disposals, 85.6% kicking efficiency, 84.1% disposal efficiency, 8.6 intercepts, 8.1 marks

Well done to Cam for performing so well, and being selected in the squad. Fingers crossed for the final team.

A few familiar names amongst other squad members:

Tom Downie, Williamstown
17 matches this season, 6 goals
Averages 13.3 disposals, 35.1 hitouts, 8.4 hitouts to advantage, 4.9 clearances, 4.9 tackles

Tom Highmore, Sandringham
16 matches this season, 1 goal
Averages 22.3 disposals, 81% disposal efficiency, 8.7 intercepts, 7.4 rebound 50s, 6.8 marks

Nicholas Coughlan, Werribee
15 matches this season, 2 goals
Averages 19.6 disposals, 77.6% disposal efficiency, 8.1 rebound 50s, 7.3 intercepts, 6.0 marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back