VFL GWS VFL 2023 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadman is struggling but I guess it’s unsurprising as he has only played one year of junior footy as a forward.

His natural talent allowed him to shine but at senior level you need to understand leading patterns, learn the team tactics and require a big strong senior body.

I think he will be a good player but he needs 3 or 4 pre-seasons to build a body and really work on forward craft. Getting games into him now where his output is low is not harmful as it helps him to develop and understand how far away he is.

On another note I’m watching Mac Andrew and by gee he’s still a long way off. Has some interesting specs but he is so positionally naive and looks years away. Very happy with Finna.
Was just gonna comment on Mac Andrew … very glad we didn’t get him and Leek looks well ahead of him. Lots of suns supporters with serious buyers remorse at the moment

Player comments from that previous story:

AFL Listed Players:

10. Jacob Wehr

17 disposals, 1 goal

It was great to have Jacob back. His running patterns on the wing were fantastic and he probably didn’t get the reward for his effort. I thought the balance between his offensive and defensive work was of a really high standard.

13. Isaac Cumming

29 disposals, 8 marks

He was unbelievable all afternoon. Similar to Jacob (Wehr), his running patterns were great all day from both an offence and defence aspect. His decision-making going forward was first class and he had a big impact.

18. Conor Stone

9 disposals, 1 goal

He’s starting to string some really consistent football together at VFL level. He’s starting to get back to the level we know he’s capable of.

20. James Peatling

37 disposals, 9 clearances, 1 goal

We moved him into the midfield this week and he gave us some great energy around stoppages. I think the strongest aspect of his performance was his pressure and defensive intent.

21. Leek Aleer

16 disposals, 5 marks

Another really solid game from Leek. His positioning was great, he had some great defensive moments and he’s getting more involved in our offence every week. It was another step in the right direction for him.

24. Harry Rowston

28 disposals, 7 clearances, 1 goal

It was the type of performance we’ve become accustomed to. He led the way at the stoppages and his ability to spread from the contest is only getting better. He’s having a big impact at VFL level, and he’ll be well prepared for when his next opportunity comes at AFL level.

29. Cameron Fleeton

15 disposals, 10 marks

He’s just so reliable every week. Once again, he had a great balance between his offensive and defensive work. It was a typical ‘Fleets game’ and he’s doing everything right. He’s taken that leadership role in the absence of Phil Davis and Lachlan Keeffe and is setting us up well down back. He’s showing exceptional growth offensively every week.

30. Matt Flynn

15 disposals, 14 hit-outs, 1 goal

He’s been sensational these last few weeks and had another great game on the weekend. His ability to move around the ground and take intercept marks is that of the elite level. He competes so hard and his follow up work at ground level was unbelievable all afternoon.

34. Josh Fahey

23 disposals, 1 goal

We saw again what he does offensively for us when he plays at VFL level. He’s continuing to improve on what he needs to.

35. Max Gruzewski

3 goals, 10 disposals

It was good to see Max get reward for effort. He showed that forward craft he possesses and he’s starting to put all his assets together.

41. Nick Madden

7 hit-outs, 12 disposals

It was a great effort from him. His ability to compete and his follow up work on the ground is beyond where we’d expect it to be. He split his time between ruck and forward this week and having Matt Flynn to learn off is invaluable for him.

45. Wade Derksen

4 goals, 9 marks, 14 disposals

Another great game from Wade this week. His contested work was great and he’s growing in confidence each week. His ability to find the scoreboard is fantastic and he’s starting to build some great synergy with the other forwards.

The lack of enthusiasm/positivity in the Fahey writeup is in quite stark contrast to the rest.
I noticed that, Stone a bit similar.

Perhaps it is just expected of Fahey now, either that or he didnt play well.

The lack of enthusiasm/positivity in the Fahey writeup is in quite stark contrast to the rest.
You could read it negatively against the player, or negatively against the selectors. Essentially, why is Fahey back playing in VFL? We know what he's capable of, and should be playing AFL. I actually read it the latter.

But, it's all a bit second-guessing the coach.

You could read it negatively against the player, or negatively against the selectors. Essentially, why is Fahey back playing in VFL? We know what he's capable of, and should be playing AFL. I actually read it the latter.

I read it as "he needs to work more defensively".

Either way, it certainly a very different tone to the others and it stands out

Either way, it certainly a very different tone to the others and it stands out
Fair call. His tackle stats in AFL read a lot worse than any of the regular AFL players (Ash, Whitfield, Cumming & even Jacob Wehr), so perhaps that's the reason for his belated call-up to the AFL team and the inherent message from this game.

Should be pretty strong side this week (a few of these will be travelling emergencies):
Davis Aleer
Keeffe Fleeton Fahey
Milkman Angwin Wehr
Stone Cadman Gruzewski
Flynn Derksen McMullin
Madden Rowston Peatling
I look forward to the Gruzewski/Cadman combination continuing to develop. They could be an AFL finals winning combination in future.

Interested to here people's thoughts on Wade Derksen.

I've known him since he was a 10-year-old and he's a great story after getting picked up via the 'non-traditional' way for most Northern Territory juniors.

Very talented, athletic player with loads of potential - it looks like he's producing some strong performances at VFL level.

Hopefully he's not too far off a debut, or at the very least deserves a contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very talented, athletic player with loads of potential - it looks like he's producing some strong performances at VFL level.

Hopefully he's not too far off a debut, or at the very least deserves a contract extension.
There's a few of us been hoping for several weeks now. Surely the weight of goals pays off with a call-up at some stage!

Potential is clearly on display in VFL - the point is whether that can transfer to AFL level.

I've known him since he was a 10-year-old and he's a great story after getting picked up via the 'non-traditional' way for most Northern Territory juniors.

A lot of us have been calling for him to be played for most of the season, seems to be tearing it up in the vfl! Cadman needs a rest in the vfl to gain his confidence and form.
Hopefully he gets his chance real soon. A great opportunity to shine against the 3rd kpd (Hogan and Riccardi would take 1 & 2). We look forward to seeing him!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was also really good with kids at the Gold Coast trial game early in the season. He made such a good impression on me that I looked his number to see who it was (I didnt recognise him).
I've been in his corner ever since.

CASEY DEMONS vs GWS GIANTS​

Sunday 2 July, 12:05pm, Casey Fields
Head-to-head: GWS Giants 1-0. At Casey Fields: GWS Giants 1-0. Streak: GWS Giants 1

CASEY DEMONS
B:
J. Adams (26), A. Tomlinson (20), T. Freeman (67)
HB: D. Smith (34), D. Turner (42), B. Howes (22)
C: R. Steele (54), L. Dunstan (27), T. Woewodion (40)
HF: C. Spargo (9), J. Schache (19), A. Moniz-Wakefield (45)
F: J. Melksham (18), J. van Rooyen (2), B. Laurie (16)
R: W. Verrall (28), M. White (52), J. Jordon (23)
INT: N. Moodie (74)*, J.Munro (47), G. Grey (68), O. Sestan (38), M.Jefferson (21)
EMG: R. Baldi (56), J. Bell (73), T. Edwards (58), H. Neocleous (75), R. Koo (61), R. Valentine (65), T. McRae (76)

IN: T. Freeman, J. Jordon, J. van Rooyen
OUT: J. Bowey, B. Brown, J. Harmes (AFL)

GWS GIANTS
B:
W. Clark (56), P. Davis (1), J. Wehr (10)
HB: J. Anderson (51), C. Fleeton (29), L. Aleer (21)
C: J. Gillbee (42), C. Stone (18), J. Peatling (20)
HF: J. Pavlidis (48), T. McMullin (31), A. Cadman (5)
F: W. Derksen (45), M. Gruzewski (35), W. Shaw (55)
R: M. Flynn (30), B. O'Connor (52), H. Rowston (24)
INT: D. Edmends (50), D. Posthuma (67)*, N. Madden (41), J. Creighton (54), R. Hebron (47)
EMG: B. Romensky, A. Mathieson, G. Varagiannis, D. Jones-Hughes, B. Rauter, W. Sabolch, N. Wardius

IN: A. Cadman, P. Davis, J. Gillbee, T. McMullin, D. Posthuma
OUT: I. Cumming, J. Fahey (AFL), J. Glanvill (achilles), T. McCaffrey (finger), M. Ryan (shoulder)

So, presumably Fahey the AFL sub. Surprised we didn't take Flynn to Alice Springs, just in case. Guess that Keeffe is the plan for any last minute issue were to befall Briggsy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back