VFL GWS VFL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps has strong roots with the Sandy Dragons program and was just their coach so not too surprising he was able to bring another go over
In a similar vein I wonder if we would consider Will Brown. A big mid-fielder/more likely forward at 195 cm he also has great leadership traits. We are 'down' one ruckman on the list and this year also had a good run without too many injuries, so our depth in KPP's was not tested. Tis true that Derksen still awaits his opportunity and McCormick hovers in the background, though it was said he may stay in the academy system as an overaged player. Still I think it may be worthwhile to look at repeating the exercise of Williams, but rather with a couple of talls, who are promising/developing types from state leagues/overlooked draft prospects and bring them into the Giants system as player projects.

The AFL has released the fixtures for Round 1 of the 2024 Smithy’s VFL season.

The competition will commence on the weekend of March 22-24, aligning with Round 2 of the 2024 Toyota AFL Premiership season.

The 2024 Smithy’s VFL campaign will feature the same 21 teams from Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland who competed across the past two seasons. The home-and-away season will consist of 21 rounds, with every team to play 18 matches.

Fixtures for all remaining rounds will be released in coming days. Venues and times for the Smithy’s VFL fixture from Round 14 onwards will be confirmed once the last part of the AFL fixture is announced later in the year.

All matches in the 2024 Smithy’s VFL and VFLW seasons will be live streamed free via the AFL website, AFL Live Official App and VFL App. Smithy’s VFL broadcast partner, the Seven Network, will broadcast select matches live and free on the Seven Network in Victoria and on 7plus nationally.

Live scoring and stats will be available via both the AFL Live Official App and VFL App.

Where Smithy’s VFL matches are ticketed, entry is $10 for adults, $5 for concession holders and kids under 15 are free. Some venues don't charge for entry. AFL ticketing prices apply for VFL matches played as curtain-raisers and curtain-closers to AFL matches.

ADKq_NaWvKI-mVHZvLXD8x4pW3QZXyodXFlpTY7hKjQC7REhbtJW9sfwrDObFanVbn0Y6Bc6wFVcspI4rmN_-9FTnchOEcGn4DrNk69q8-Z6U919cclUUCpDZytEQf8wRQG2kA40vfVposb_uc1qYERKi3oV1Jh7KCe5lykiBVJTEAU=s0-d-e1-ft

And in related news ...

ANOTHER ROUND FOR SMITHY’S

The AFL is pleased to announce a three-year partnership extension between the Victorian Football League (VFL) and Smithy’s. The extension will see Smithy’s continue as the VFL’s naming rights partner through to at least the end of the 2026 season.

The partnership agreement between the VFL and Smithy's continues the rich heritage of community football with Thomas Henry Smith or “Smithy”, who helped draft the original rules for the game and whose pioneering spirit inspired the creation of the beer that bears his name. AFL Head of State League Competitions, Jennie Loughnan, said the partnership extension was something all VFL fans could celebrate.

"We are delighted to announce our close partnership with Smithy’s has been extended for a further three years. This is fantastic news for both the VFL and Smithy’s and allows us to continue our collaboration and further strengthen our relationship. We are extremely proud of the VFL’s rich history and Smithy’s has been a great supporter of our competition and the broader football community across the past two years. 20 VFL-listed players made their way onto AFL lists during the 2023 season which shows how important the VFL is in the talent pathway system and we thank Smithy’s for their continued support of our competition. With a wide range of Australian-made products and named after one of the founding fathers of our game, Smithy’s is the ultimate crowd pleaser.”

Smithy’s Senior Marketing Manager Brylie Dauparas said she was excited to support another season of the VFL and VFLW and to once again crown the Smithy’s Snag for the goal of the year. “Across the past two seasons Smithy’s and the VFL have created a strong partnership that pairs our much loved and historic competition with a beer for the fans. We are thrilled to be able to continue our work with the VFL for a further three years and are committed to going bigger and better as we continue to build strong links with local communities throughout Australia.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Guys. I’m a passionate fan from Peel Thunder in WA .We are about to lose a player from our senior squad. Young player named Joel Rush who is apparently moving to the Giants VFL haven’t seen anything about it yet but been told he has locked in the move.

Main Reason for this I believe is that his partner got picked up by the giants in the women’s program. He is a versatile player but mainly plays wing, very classy outside player with good footy IQ although he’s a lighter frame then others has got some dash will be interesting to see how he goes but when he’s on he’s on good get I must say. Sad lost for us though. As I believe he would of been playing league at some stage and making an impact

Last edited:
Giants have also signed Jackson Bowne from Coburg. Was at Richmond as well and plays w Bundoora in the NFNL. Was a Knights NAB league member for 3 seasons as well. Small fast halfback and can play both ends of the ground.

I am struggling to find any info on the VFL side of things with GWS.I have an interest in a couple of players and struggling to find where the best place is to stay updated? I notice on the main site, the VFL squad is from 2 seasons back? Is there any where you can direct me where the info is more current?

I am struggling to find any info on the VFL side of things with GWS.I have an interest in a couple of players and struggling to find where the best place is to stay updated? I notice on the main site, the VFL squad is from 2 seasons back? Is there any where you can direct me where the info is more current?

Occasionally the club posts articles but mostly if not all will be on the above site

When the games start they will publish the team lists and maybe a paragraph or 2 about selection

Occasionally the club posts articles but mostly if not all will be on the above site

When the games start they will publish the team lists and maybe a paragraph or 2 about selection
Unfortunately, GWS doesn't do a particularly good job on VFL matters. When the first round arrives, we might see an article that provides some more background on our squad.

So where's Darcy Jones at?.So assuming he had some kind of hit out on the weekend and should push for Wehrs spot.Whats club saying?This is poor coverage by the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back