Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s been disappointing but whether or not it is an accurate representation is yet to be seen.

The parts that I’m disappointed in the most is that Langford and Parish don’t appear to have taken a step forward which means our contested ball winning will probably be similar to previous seasons and that our tall forwards look garbage meaning we will struggle to get good value from the centre clearances we do win cleanly. Still two weeks away and we need everyday of that to get up to speed.

Parish is disappointing, I had high hopes for him even before we drafted him.

Langford, on the other hand, I have no idea how this blokes tyres came to be pumped up to the bursting point they're at now but I'm guessing that New Fyfe article had a helping hand. The guy is and was always going to be a B grade midfielder at absolute best, yet everybody seems disappointed at the realisation he's not tracking to be a superstar. If he can help out around the contests as a bigger body this year then he's doing his job.

Parish is disappointing, I had high hopes for him even before we drafted him.

Langford, on the other hand, I have no idea how this blokes tyres came to be pumped up to the bursting point they're at now but I'm guessing that New Fyfe article had a helping hand. The guy is and was always going to be a B grade midfielder at absolute best, yet everybody seems disappointed at the realisation he's not tracking to be a superstar.

I’ve never really had a lot of faith in the Langford midfield move, but think he could be an elite half forward in Tom Lynch (Adelaide) mould.

It kinda reminds me about the Richmond anecdotes when they did their reviews about how they were playing heaps of players out of their junior positions and not taking advantage of their natural strengths.

I also think we lucked out last year with a throw at the stumps playing bags fwd and it came off, but I'm not sure lightning will strike twice, we might need to put a purpose built player in there.
We delisted him at the end of the year.

Our year is very rarely defined by pre-season or Rd.1.

By Anzac Day, i usually know what sort of year we're in for.

Good chance here, but GWS' midfield is going to be a handful.
We will need our pace and we will need efficiency going forward.

Keen to see how the likes of Merrett, McGrath, Ridley, Joey and Langford hit rd.1.
Their form will go a long way to us making finals this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread:
The pessimists are smelling doom.
The optimists are already prepping excuses.

This rd 1 match is a grand final as far as I'm concerned. If we lose poorly there are no excuses.

What's the go with McKenna? Do we just accept he will cough up 2 or 3 howler kicks per game in the guts causing goals just cause he's Irish? Just take the little bad with all the freakish good he does?

Probably. Some players just have brain fades. He is also yet to turn 23 - he probably still has a lot of growth in his game, particularly given his background.

As a complete package, he is one of the most damaging half-back flankers in the league. On balance, what he does when he has the ball is very good.

McKenna really doesn't rate very highly among the team's issues.

We then scrape past the Saints for a win and get flogged by Melbourne the following week

We become far too predictable haha

You should know there is no point predicting what will happen in a Melbourne vs Essendon game. Both teams always set out to drag each other down to a new level of s**t unfortunately...

You should know there is no point predicting what will happen in a Melbourne vs Essendon game. Both teams always set out to drag each other down to a new level of s**t unfortunately...

I can predict it!

We fky the gates , toy with you for 2 quarters but put nothing on the board,due to horrible kicking and option taking, you come out after HT and actually score goals and go on to win convincingly

Everytime.

We really are chomping at the bit for the season to start aren't we?

The only precedence for judging real season form based on pre-season form I know of is there is none.

I'm going to enjoy the remaining ODI, some NBA games and Indian Wells for my sport fix and not really over think what it all means yet.

We'll find out soon enough.

I think everyone is being very harsh on Parish and Langford.

Still both so very young!
Parish needs, to just settle when he gets the ball. He just panics too much. Langford, well he needs more games. Really he has played less than 20 afl games as a midfielder. Give them time.

I do believe Mitch Brown is in for a big season. His GPS numbers from last year had him as our hardest working player.

Thoughts on our forward line??

Fantasia Mckernan Tippa
Stringer Daniher Brown

Baguley the extra,

With Smith, Langford to spend a fair bit of time down there

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Parish needs, to just settle when he gets the ball. He just panics too much. Langford, well he needs more games. Really he has played less than 20 afl games as a midfielder. Give them time.

I do believe Mitch Brown is in for a big season. His GPS numbers from last year had him as our hardest working player.

Fantasia Mckernan Tippa
Stringer Daniher Brown

Baguley the extra,

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Non-existent forward pressure there!

Fantasia Mckernan Tippa
Stringer Daniher Brown

Baguley the extra,

I saw enough of Parish and Langford, particularly after the bye last year, to be reasonably bullish on them. Langford does nice things when he has the ball, usually finding himself in a dangerous position, while Parish was among our better midfielders later in the season. So I'm inclined to agree.

As for the forward line: I think that team skews a little too tall. I'd swap one of McKernan or Brown for a resting midfielder / third-tall type. Three talls plus Stringer probably doesn't apply the defensive pressure you'd want from your forwards.

I saw enough of Parish and Langford, particularly after the bye last year, to be reasonably bullish on them. Langford does nice things when he has the ball, usually finding himself in a dangerous position, while Parish was among our better midfielders later in the season. So I'm inclined to agree.

As for the forward line: I think that team skews a little too tall. I'd swap one of McKernan or Brown for a resting midfielder / third-tall type. Three talls plus Stringer probably doesn't apply the defensive pressure you'd want from your forwards.

As I think Bruno may have alluded to before, Stringer probably throws any form of forward line structure out the window, he's like a brilliant supernova, creating energy and chaos wherever he heads, when it's on its beautiful to watch but when it goes wrong it leaves a black hole where the forward line structure should be...

Well I've just done the 2019 AFL predictor and we lose to Fremantle by 80 plus points in the Prelim.
Carlton win the flag.

May as well not even bother.
You forgot to carry the one back in round 17. We win the flag, Carlton finish last and Adelaide get the number #1 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back