Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Now Daniher out Our 22 will be more like:-

Ambrose Hurley McKenna
Ridley Francis Saad
Zakka Heppell ZMerrett
Fanta Brown Smith
Stringer McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Shiel McGrath

Myers Langford Guelfi Laverde

Parish probably comes in for someone on the bench but not sure who...Hartley also some chance instead of Ambrose but the later more likely with the much better tank. Still a very dangerous team on paper that’s only going to get better when Hooker and Daniher come back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I haven't been watching the preseason so i'm out of touch. Why is it that suddenly we have Myers and Langford in the same team and no one turning a hair?
Langford has to play for mine and i could understand Myers playing if he is in ripping form, but is he?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

They keep putting these expectations on themselves. Probably for memberships, but it isn’t wise.

Here’s the expectations they’ve put on themselves:

- viciousness, intensity and pressure
- Good defensive game
- no repeating the start of last year
- similar results to the end of last year
- taking JLT seriously

I’d prefer keeping it in house and talking about it once it’s successful. Repeating it over and over again adds pressure to perform.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I haven't been watching the preseason so i'm out of touch. Why is it that suddenly we have Myers and Langford in the same team and no one turning a hair?
Langford has to play for mine and i could understand Myers playing if he is in ripping form, but is he?

Good point - maybe Myers plays reserves and Parish is best 22. But hard to see that happening with Myers in the leadership group....

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
They keep putting these expectations on themselves. Probably for memberships, but it isn’t wise.

Here’s the expectations they’ve put on themselves:

- viciousness, intensity and pressure
- Good defensive game
- no repeating the start of last year
- similar results to the end of last year
- taking JLT seriously

I’d prefer keeping it in house and talking about it once it’s successful. Repeating it over and over again adds pressure to perform.
I don't mind it. These guys have to play at the MCG eventually and should be expected to lift their game. Competition for spots hasn't been this healthy for yonkeys. I want effort and intensity in the front of their minds, I want them to expect high performance of themselves and each other and to want to win the crowd with that, lest we end up with a bunch of 'she'll be right mate' plodders.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Now Daniher out Our 22 will be more like:-

Ambrose Hurley McKenna
Ridley Francis Saad
Zakka Heppell ZMerrett
Fanta Brown Smith
Stringer McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Shiel McGrath

Myers Langford Guelfi Laverde

Parish probably comes in for someone on the bench but not sure who...Hartley also some chance instead of Ambrose but the later more likely with the much better tank. Still a very dangerous team on paper that’s only going to get better when Hooker and Daniher come back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree Ambrose is more likely. Cameron will go up the ground continually and Patty will need to be there. He did okay on Cameron last time, kept him to a goal? Two goals?

I agree Ambrose is more likely. Cameron will go up the ground continually and Patty will need to be there. He did okay on Cameron last time, kept him to a goal? Two goals?
2 goals 3. Cameron averages 3 goals/game against us (21 in 7).

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Biggest concern for us is the amount of top line players that we have, that have had an interrupted preseason. Raz, Merret, Smith, Hepp and Joey (although now he is an out) all have had troubles and looked below par during JLT. I am probably missing a few.

Gws team looks very different and they have lost very good players, and the question mark over Kelly is good for us. Will they gel?

I have a feeling that we will miss the experience of Goddard down back (especially with Hooker out). Question marks over both teams but if our 4 mentioned above fire we should get the win.

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully our kids step up and lead the way as we are looking at the bad old days and have too many what I call senior negative impact players.

We've seen these types before - the Monfries, Stanton, Green, Howlett, Prismall, Williams, Davey, Welsh.

We now have a collection of them in Hurley, Zaharakis, Brown, McKernan, Baguley. I reckon we can only really play 2 out of the 5 to be competitive with the top teams.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Agreed, I think this will be our 22 (only debatable one may be Hartley instead of Ambrose).
Our backline is interesting - none of Hurley, Ambrose, Ridley or Francis would I feel comfortable playing on a #1 powerful forward. Nor would I feel comfortable having them play on a small. Yet I like them all...
Au contraire. I would argue that Hurley plays his best football when he is lined up on the #1 forward for the opposition.
See Lance Franklin and Jack Riewoldt last year.

Hurley - Cameron
Francis - Himmelberg
Ambrose - Tomlinson (Paddy has the tank to go up the ground with him).

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Au contraire. I would argue that Hurley plays his best football when he is lined up on the #1 forward for the opposition.
See Lance Franklin and Jack Riewoldt last year.

Hurley - Cameron
Francis - Himmelberg
Ambrose - Tomlinson (Paddy has the tank to go up the ground with him).
Tomlinson's role is really hard to pick. Generally I just assume he is on the bench and wait and see.

He can play as a KPD, wingman, or as a running half forward flanker who can take a mark. He was even used as a tagger a couple of times last year.

I expect our forward line to be

Delidio, Cameron, De Boer

Greene, Himmelburg, Daniels

Deledio often played across halfback last year when fit. Griffen played forward and took the oppo running back. With Griffen retired I think he'll move forward and either Daniels or De boer will have an eye on Saad.

Expect Cameron and Himmelburg to spend time up on the wing and we'll try to isolate Toby Greene deep. Tactical guess on what we've done before of course.

Tomlinson's role is really hard to pick. Generally I just assume he is on the bench and wait and see.

He can play as a KPD, wingman, or as a running half forward flanker who can take a mark. He was even used as a tagger a couple of times last year.

I expect our forward line to be

Delidio, Cameron, De Boer

Greene, Himmelburg, Daniels

Deledio often played across halfback last year when fit. Griffen played forward and took the oppo running back. With Griffen retired I think he'll move forward and either Daniels or De boer will have an eye on Saad.

Expect Cameron and Himmelburg to spend time up on the wing and we'll try to isolate Toby Greene deep. Tactical guess on what we've done before of course.
He'll be the chop out ruck, right?

Best guess yep. Himmelburg also possible, he's not a great tap but very useful around the clearance.. Keefe looks like a ruck, but he just isn't.
I would assume Patton would do it when he's fit.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I would assume Patton would do it when he's fit.
I'd say definitely, although the 2019 version is lighter and less muscled. I had hopes for Flynn but he had disappointing JLT games. Briggs is naturally the kind of strong body that could play early, but not this year I think.

Jesus Daniher and Hooker out really hurts.

Don’t like Brown and McKernan both being in the forward line

Don’t know why you’d think that, forward line worked pretty well with them two in it last year

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Don’t know why you’d think that, forward line worked pretty well with them two in it last year

Definitely not saying I don't rate them man, but the below is some poor reading.

1552801542553.png

We need a spearhead to our forward line which they're unlikely to be.

we were very unconvincing in JLT especially going into attack

so expecting another slow start to the year.....again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back