Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s trying to make some sort of connection between the way the demons have played today, the weather and whether we’ve trained enough to handle playing in the heat?

Been warm enough in Melbourne all preseason though that I doubt 30° in Sydney tomorrow will feel like much of a shock, underdone or not. The climate there is quite similar to here, unlike when we played Freo in Freo round 1 a year or two ago and were completely underprepared.

puntingdude22

Debutant
Mar 19, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
What do you mean? Heppell, zach merrett and a host of other players have missed large chunks of the prea season jsut like the dees today viney etc who got ran off their feet in the heat.

What do you mean? Heppell, zach merrett and a host of other players have missed large chunks of the prea season jsut like the dees today viney etc who got ran off their feet in the heat.
Heppell only missed a couple of weeks, Merrett played nearly a full game in JLT 2. Viney hasn't played at all

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Didn’t they say today that more Dees players underwent preseason surgery than any other club? Added to the fact that their final 4 finish meant they came back for training later anyway.

Essendon is completely different.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
They are, but you're missing 2 of your top 3 of last year.
That's true. Hopper played a very defensive role last year, and Taranto actually attended few clearances. Perryman played back when he did play. The expectations will be very different on them tomorrow. Fair to say they're unproven.

Parish, Zerk-Thatcher, Z.Clarke all mentioned in the VFL practice match article on the website, which leaves Laverde as the travelling emergency?

Anyone else think that we are way too tall
Brown hurley Ambrose smack Francis ridley
Wtf
It's basically the structure Richmond played on Thursday. Their defence initially:

Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad
Hurley, Ambrose, Ridley, Francis

Forward line:

Riewoldt, Lynch, Balta
Brown, Smack, Stringer

Obviously the defence isn't as good but we're not too tall. In fact they have 8 genuine KPP's to our five plus Ridley/Francis/Stringer.

6 talls isn't that tall...
Plus Ridley isn't really a tall and the teams that have won so far this round other than the dogs have been taller rather than smaller

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone else think that we are way too tall
Brown hurley Ambrose smack Francis ridley
Wtf

I would factor in the use of the starting 22 as a way of making a point to the players.

Hurley, Ambrose, and Francis as "tall defenders". Ridley is the mid-sized flanker who can play small and tall.

McKernan, Brown and Stringer as the tall forwards.

I don't have a problem with it. The balance is a good one. Whether or not the individuals are the ones that will make it work is not clear (though this is an observation about the forwards).

Edit: and just to be clear, the difference between Ridley and the rest of the defenders is the combination of speed, agility and general ground level play. Obviously they're all the same height.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Need to update the title.

It's Giants Stadium

Good luck today and remember to get there early if going as there's also a league game next door so will be busy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I reckon that's the issue for the graveyard. Stadium is so big it makes the crowd look tiny and deadens the cheers. Looking forward to the game today and hoping Toby's arrogance is shining :)

Need to update the title.

It's Giants Stadium

Good luck today and remember to get there early if going as there's also a league game next door so will be busy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I don't ever use the sponsor's name in the title haha. Docklands, Bellerive, Perth Stadium etc

puntingdude22

Debutant
Mar 19, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually feel confident for this game. We look very strong on paper. Bring the intensity and tackling pressure and we should win this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back