Preview GWS vs North Melbourne

D_train

Senior List
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Josh Bruce, 8. Jeremy Cameron, 9. Tomas Bugg, 10. Anthony Miles, 12. Sam Schulz, 13. Gerald Ugle, 14. Sam Darley, 18. Jarrod Harding, 19. Simon Tunbridge, 20. Alex Carey, 21. Joshua Growden, 24. Stephen Clifton, 26. Jonathon Giles, 27. Andrew Phillips, 28. Rhys Cooyou, 30. Damian Williams, 31. Jacob Townsend, 33. Ben Reid, 34. Chaz Sargent, 35. Brett Dore, 36. Daniel Leslie, 37. Cameron Stone, 38. Tim Barton, 39. Ned Mortimer, 40. Chris Varsanakis, 41. Luke Garland

NORTH MELBOURNE
3. Brady Rawlings, 5. Ben Warren, 6. Lachie Hansen, 7. Jack Ziebell, 11. Michael Firrito, 12. Lindsay Thomas, 14. Gavin Urquhart, 16. Scott Thompson, 18. Shaun Atley, 19. Sam Wright, 23. Kieran Harper, 25. Robbie Tarrant, 26. Ben McKinley, 29. Brent Harvey, 30. Daniel Pratt, 31. Cam Delaney, 33. Matt Campbell, 34. Jamie Macmillan, 36. Ayden Kennedy, 37. Brayden Norris, 38. Majak Daw, 39. Cam Pedersen, 41. Aaron Mullett, 44. Matthew Scott, 45. Luke Delaney, 46. Ben SpeightAnyone know much about our top-up players for this week?

Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney FC, Sydney Kings, NSW
Quite a few of the GWS boys were recruited from the Murray Bushrangers; so it'll be a sort of homecoming for them.

Don't know much about the GWS top-up players; except that Ned Mortimer is related to the famous NRL clan.

Gee Dub

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 19, 2010
Albury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ravens, Rabbitohs, Rockets, Everton
Quite a few of the GWS boys were recruited from the Murray Bushrangers; so it'll be a sort of homecoming for them.

Don't know much about the GWS top-up players; except that Ned Mortimer is related to the famous NRL clan.

Dan Leslie is a key forward who is BUILT. HE is a very very good player for North Albury and is one of the best players in the O and M

AussieFTW

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon
I don't know how the Giants will match up against the 'Roos, but this will be a great test for the kids - I'm real glad the AFL have us play the Roos as the Roos have a reputation for being really hard at the ball, and our players are going to have to learn how to do that.

Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
A good fighting effort. After being belted last week and kept scoreless in the opening term, it would have been easy for the boys to drop their heads and capitulate again - but these kids have stronger character than that.

Gee Dub

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 19, 2010
Albury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ravens, Rabbitohs, Rockets, Everton
As the scoreline suggests GWS really struggled in the first half but worked their way into the match. In the first quarter they rarely got the ball inside 50 and when they did it was whisked straight out. I don't think they had a mark inside 50 until the second quarter.

I must say I was very impressed with the way Shiel goes about his work. he is going to be a very good player.

AussieFTW

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon
Yeah I'm really impressed with some of the guys the Giants already have on their list - Sheil, Hampton, Ugle, Stevens, Harding.. These kids are showing an awful lot, and it looks like the Greater Western Giants already have stars on their list before getting anyone from their picks at the AFL Draft or recruiting players from other clubs..
That's a pretty bloody good sign.

Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I agree Aussie FTW. And even though GWS lost heavily, the NAB Cup/Challenge series has been a sensational experience for these kids, and one that will play a big role in their development. They'll be better players for this.

Back