GWS, why did people drop off them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure that was your PF last year.
I could’ve sworn you put me on ignore.

Also the thread is about GWS. If you want to discuss Richmond or the Preliminary Final from last year, do it in the appropriate threads.

I could’ve sworn you put me on ignore.

Also the thread is about GWS. If you want to discuss Richmond or the Preliminary Final from last year, do it in the appropriate threads.
You should know by now trying to tell me what to post isn't going to work.

Fact is on the big stage in front of a big crowd your lot distintegrated.

You should know by now trying to tell me what to post isn't going to work.

Fact is on the big stage in front of a big crowd your lot distintegrated.
Then your pathetically desperate attempt to rile me will be laughed off and the discussion ends here.

Their 2016/17 sides were better on paper and fell short. 2018 they fell a little back and then lost Shiel, Lobb, Scully. Easy to see why people no longer have them as flag favourites. Hard to stay up for years on end.

But, the list is still very good. Coniglio, Ward, Kelly, Davis, Greene, Cameron... At worst they're in the 7-12 bracket, more likely 1-6.

True but I feel it could almost help them to some degree. Less A grade players and more role-type players is probably what they need.

I do feel as if everyone overrated Sydney yet forgets about GWS. The giants do seem to have issues with consistency but when they are on they are scary. And they keep falling short of getting to the grand final. They came very very close to beating Collingwood in the semis.

GWS are an interesting one.

True but I feel it could almost help them to some degree. Less A grade players and more role-type players is probably what they need.

I do feel as if everyone overrated Sydney yet forgets about GWS. The giants do seem to have issues with consistency but when they are on they are scary. And they keep falling short of getting to the grand final. They came very very close to beating Collingwood in the semis.

GWS are an interesting one.

Bad injuries both the last 2 seasons wh I would of seen most sides miss finals.

To answer the OP who really cares. It's results that matter.

The last few years has seen predictions of our results swing wildly from one extreme to the other. A pretty low key off-season without the hype was actually a relief for me.

People still say we disappointed in 2016 when it was the clubs first year in finals when we went straight into the top 4 and won our QF. That's absurd.

2017 was a little disappointing given we had a strong team for finals but came up short of the Crows and the Tigers.

Last year we seriously lacked continuity seemingly never finishing a game with a fit bench, on iccasolions one player or even no players on the bench. I'd back the team that lost the SF to beat the 2016 QF side though. The had less talent but were older, way more experience in big games and were mentally stronger as a result.

People always overrate the impact on a team of individual players although we have bled some talent. We've also recruited very well and it's critical to use the draft currency from trades wisely.

This season our goal will be a home QF, it's realistic as it will be for 5 or 6 other clubs. It's early days and we'll have to wait and see.

My expectation is we'll win more away games this year. We have three at the G. None of the MCG tenants are weak right now but I exoect we'll win two. This team isn't young anymore and won't drop their heads facing a large hostile crowd.

It does take time , Richmond is a good example. Before their premiership year Richmond always turn to water after reaching top 8.
How much time and talent do GWS need before they can win a flag?

Their 2016/17 sides were better on paper and fell short. 2018 they fell a little back and then lost Shiel, Lobb, Scully. Easy to see why people no longer have them as flag favourites. Hard to stay up for years on end.

But, the list is still very good. Coniglio, Ward, Kelly, Davis, Greene, Cameron... At worst they're in the 7-12 bracket, more likely 1-6.
This , plus I still have my queries on the coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long did it take the tigers to win the last one again?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
So you’re using Richmond’s drought to excuse your club for failing to deliver a flag? Weak as piss.

The fact we won our flag while building our list through a compromised draft makes your efforts look all the more pathetic.

So you’re using Richmond’s drought to excuse your club for failing to deliver a flag? Weak as piss.

The fact we won our flag while building our list through a compromised draft makes your efforts look all the more pathetic.

I'm just saying I don't see how you can question our clubs failure to win a flag when you guys took 30 years.

That last paragraph seems you are just throwing a tanty.. Calm your farm.

I'm just saying I don't see how you can question our clubs failure to win a flag when you guys took 30 years.

That last paragraph seems you are just throwing a tanty.. Calm your farm.

Richmond and GWS are totally incomparable and you know it.

Richmond and GWS are totally incomparable and you know it.
Yep, tigers had a 100 year head start.

We lost 2016 because we had no experience and the dogs were on fire, 2017 running into a red hot Tigers and last year we played our worst game against the Pies.
No excuses we weren't good enough any of those years.

We weren’t gifted high draft picks and given a massive leg up by the AFL either. You’ve had the most talented list for years and have failed to capitalise.
Straight from the vfl media playbook.

Possible. As I've said earlier my thoughts on our losses.

I don't think our coaching may be up to par either. But that's a different thread.

Straight from the vfl media playbook.

Possible. As I've said earlier my thoughts on our losses.

I don't think our coaching may be up to par either. But that's a different thread.
Agree with your coaching, but I still think you’ve gone to water too many times when you shouldn’t have.

Maybe shedding some of your talent and bringing in more role players who are prepared to get their hands dirty and play selfless footy will help you move forward. Shiel and Scully were definitely expendable IMO, so massive ticks there.

Maybe it was wishful thinking by some that they would drop off.
Still ooze class in the midfield and with Davis one of the most underrated defenders in the game and Cameron and Greene up forward..and Mumford to return...they will be thereabouts.

Richmond hasn’t won a final since 2001 and won 2017 flag.

Considering gws have won a final each of the past 3 years seems a weird statement

When Richmond started playing finals again since 2001 we never made it to a Prelim, we couldnt get past an Elimination final.

GWS have proved for a number of years they just dont handle big finals.

They have played 7 finals and won 3 ... 2 of which have been against Sydney.

Last edited:
No. I didn’t say we should’ve. I’m just explaining why our clubs’ respective situations are incomparable. Don’t chime in if you’ve only read half the conversation.
Richmond was gifted Sunraysia, which led directly to premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back