Round 14
Saturday July 24 vs Geelong Falcons at Chirnside Park,Werribee 2pm

Round 15
Saturday July 31 vs Eastern Ranges at ANZ Stadium,Homebush 3:30pm

Round 16
Saturday August 14 vs Dandenong Stingrays at Shepley Oval 2pm

Round 17
Saturday August 21 vs North Ballarat Rebels at Blacktown Olympic Park 1pm

IMO a tough draw, Dandy twice, long time cellar dwellers Bendigo away, Geelong and the Bushies away with Sandy and Oakleigh at as a full a strength as possible with private school players available, playing against what I'm guessing to be a very depleted GWS TAC team due to National Carnival committments.

GWS didn't go close to getting the travel concesssions that GC17 got.

Only 3 Sunday games is a good move by AFL Victoria though.

Round 7
Saturday May 15 vs Western Jets at Manuka Oval,Canberra 10:30am

Round 11
Saturday June 26 vs Sandringham Dragons at ANZ Stadium,Homebush 3:30pm

Round 15
Saturday July 31 vs Eastern Ranges at ANZ Stadium,Homebush 3:30pm

Mmmmmm, wonder how happy the Swans are that they're competitors get to play 3 games as curtain raisers for them. Particularly that Canberra fixture, given the Swans 2nds play in the Canberra league that's a game I would've thought they'd have preferred their 2nds as the curtain raiser for sure.

Its a shame that the true talent in Sydney is not being recognised. I don't feel that the team is going to do Sydney any justice on the AFL stage unfortunately everyone knows that the TAC cup squad is full of the Scholarship players which is selected mainly on any long term (possibilities).

All seems a bit rushed to me...GC were planned ages ago and are just coming through now. Seems Andy saw their success and is rushing through GWS to generate more interest and money. Next year should be all about getting the foundation right; a song, the colours etc. They shouldn't be playing TAC Cup yet.

Good luck to them....

All seems a bit rushed to me...GC were planned ages ago and are just coming through now. Seems Andy saw their success and is rushing through GWS to generate more interest and money. Next year should be all about getting the foundation right; a song, the colours etc. They shouldn't be playing TAC Cup yet.

Good luck to them....
Only started a few months after the gold coast in their respective years. GC don't even have a song, jumper yet...

Are they going to be competitive? I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to get as many decent kids as the Gold Coast were.
Not sure if it makes any difference or not but your probably right. The TAC Cup training has been currently running at the same time as the Talented Player Program selections, so you have footballers here there and everywhere. The TAC cup squad has been done by invite, The Scholarships are all there. Apart from the Swans boys being not involved ages 15 years to 18s. We know they are not all the best footballers and many may never be. If you were fortunate enough not to see any of the TPP trials you probably missed the biggest joke in Sydney AFL. There are scholarship players which are still unable to kick a footy or even handball, The TPP program is for aspiring young talent. Unfortunately for many aspiring young footballers their dream of playing AFL is blindsided by clubs that continue to use the TPP and the State team as a pathway for training development.

Interesting comments there Looseman. It's inidicative of the direction that game has taken, where elite fitness, stamina and physical attributes take priority over genuine footballing skill, and the belief it can be taught and developed relatively quickly. There's an obsession with it and it's been going on for a while.

These things tend to go in cycles though so it'll be interesting to see if it swings back at some stage.

LOOSEMAN i was fortunate enough to travel to Coffs Harbour and i closely watched the pioneers team as i have an interest in the future of AFL in Western Sydney and although they may not have produced the results that they wanted i believe they performed well in most of their matches. Also i believe they may have a few potential Rams players in number 10, James Lewington, who was very strong along half back and performed well in the midfield and also number 19, Jack Dimery, who is a current scholarship holder with the Geelong Cats, he consistently got centre clearances and controlled the midfield well. I advise you next time LOOSEMAN that you may want to watch individuals as well and not just the whole team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SirMagic good to see newbie interest, I couldn't agree with you more these two fellas were without a doubt the standouts for the team. I try not to use names in the forum.

If you care to take note about my concerns you'll will read in my previous posts. Out of the scholarships one was outstanding during the carnival however, he has the skills of a senior footballer. The other fella you mentioned has just recently returned to AFL after a lengthy break of 2 seasons because of similar concerns.

These two guys were part of a squad of 24 and my predictions were based on the team as a whole as it takes more than two players to win a match and it was obvious they were underskilled as a team for this level. This was very obvious at the training sessions after the team was announced.

The selections for this squad the AFL had turned away quality footballers making way for the poorly skilled schalorship players and under aged players without experience. "A FACT" at this level you need to stage your best not the possibles. The two fellas you refer to do not fit in this category, I make a generalisation as the team only.

Like you, I also have an interest in GW AFL, But sick of the bullshit and as previously mentioned, Unfortunately for many aspiring young footballers their dream of playing AFL is blindsided by clubs that continue to use the TPP and the State team as a pathway for training development.

Interesting comments there Looseman. It's inidicative of the direction that game has taken, where elite fitness, stamina and physical attributes take priority over genuine footballing skill, and the belief it can be taught and developed relatively quickly. There's an obsession with it and it's been going on for a while.

These things tend to go in cycles though so it'll be interesting to see if it swings back at some stage.

Agree, they do appear to go in cycles.

I think the introduction of the Buckley kicking test at the AFL Draft Camp is a recoginition by the AFL that there has been too much focus on 'athletes' and kicking skills in particular are not up to scratch.

LOOSEMAN i agree with some of your points but i also disagree with some. Considering you have a very strong opinion on the scholarship program what are you thoughts on players without scholarships making the TAC Cup team? Do you think its possible, players like James Lewington,Jason Harry who had stong performances for the teams in the recent carnival and players like Matthew Paine and Trent Hurst who i have seen perform strongly in the under 18's competition the past season,who are all without scholarships, making the TAC Cup team and Rams?

Sirmagic, plaese don't confuse my opinions on the Schalorship program being just negative its a reality. I do believe there is a need for a program developing long term for the clubs and the sydney market. My concern is where the development occurs and at what expense. (THE FOOTBALLER)

I also see it currently disavantages some footballers unfortunately, what you need to understand, is that the footballers you have just mentioned need the same amount of oppportunity to progress and develop not necessarily in monetory terms but access to the best training and development to aid in preparation. I am confident that the fellas you have mentioned are desperately trying hard to be the best footballers with the limited opportunities given to them in sydney and minimal exposure.

I'm sure it will be in the interest of the TAC CUP & RAMS to man the best possible squads as the stakes are getting higher and of course they will need the best players, who, only the gods know. BUT WE DO NEED A FEW LOCAL HEROES.

LOOSEMAN, considering your knowledge of junior footy in NSW is very high, i was wanting to get your opinion on who were your standout performers for the carnival. Also i would like to know who you think will make the NSW Rams squad and also the TAC Cup team.

Any other news from Coffs carnival, I heard Cole was super for stars (I refuse to spell it with a z) as was brain though my mate says he doesn't seem to have grown a lot, I've seen him play a couple o' times in last few years & he is hard at it, heard schulz from Rebels was good & that webster from heat looked ok, heard only 1 pioneers scholarship player stood up, big Q's over their 2 tallest 1 apparently has a U turn bay sth O' Coffs named after him & the other just looked unco pies may have a dud there. My mate reckons lewington looked as if he hadn't missed any footy.

I was up there last year & hear the blokes from non prem teams ie parra & the rif struggled again this year just as paine seemed to think he could play challenge cup type footy last year these blokes need to be playin 18's challenge or senior footy with their clubs, hurst based on what I seen last year didn't deserve another crack.

How many blokes in each Sydney squad played premier 1st grade last year & how did they go?

Stevebull, Cole's comeback after injury throughout the normal season looked good at an Eastcoast match smart footy and continues. Webster is a gun I think your mates update is on the pulse with some of the others and I agree one of the Pioneers Scholars looked fine and consistant not sure if we agree on which one. A heap of the fellas Played 1st last year depending on club needs and availability and some had outstanding performances and two of them are now in Melbourne with their clubs.

However, I'm not sure about your comments regarding the players at the 2009 carnival, Both of these fellas were 16 in a team that was dominated by scholarships like Young,Botton-Noonan, Pianta,Ferguson,Sneaddon, Dimmery, Perry,Johnston and some very good 18s like Spitiri,Brazill,Yakinov,Bourke, and from all observations and reports both of these fellas contributed to the teams performance being the better Sydney team, just like the Stars are 2010. )

Stevebull there is room in Sydney AFL for all levels of AFL including Challenge Cup and the rif as you put it, some players are happy to support a local club and just kick a footy.

I'm not sure if you even know the fellas, The Challenge cup Fella has played about 5 games developing with the Swans Reserves last year and won various awards in his division which is a credit. The other fella has never played Challenge Cup, from all reports he played his first 18s match at 15 in Premier Division and has continued to play the last two seasons in Premier Division,

Judging the actual ability of players in a rep carnival is difficult at the best of times especially in 15minute halves especially with rotations, it only really matters in 80mins of footy.

We know that the development needs to happen at senior level regardless of the division but Sydney football is just not geared that way, as the lower level teams will suffer, to be honest if we were to place every best eighteen in Ressie or 1st there would not be enough players to man the field at 18s thats the absolute truth here in Sydney. Look at the numbers last season and the one prior, Sydney lost Balmain from the comp and St Ignatius continue to have problems manning and travelling, Campbelltown Struggles and all premiership level teams..

Stevebull, thanks for the update in the other post I think it captures a true picture.

Thanks for that looseman, charming stuff

I was hoping for something a little more constructive but hey I'll take anything it's all part o' the fun.

I know young & stubbs have gone to melbourne early along with michael johnson who came off the bench for ece in the GF, as stated in previous post seen some others but not all so was hoping for a bit of detail re each with a name if anyone seen them play I regularly get asked by mates interstate & os whether I have seen the kids signed to the clubs they support running around.

No doubt there is more to sydney footy than scholarship players playin prem 1st but surely most clubs would want their players challenging themselves at the highest level as often as possible. I don't believe ece,unsw or wests seasons were down to scholo players but believe they contributed.

My point about challenge is that it appeared at the 09 carnival that paine thought he could take players on like he did in challenge but obviously couldn't & so turned it over or gave it to a mate under pressure, I think the guy has some ability but needs to get out of his comfort zone to progress, loyalty to your club is great but not at the cost of your development if you want to progress either to AFL, state rep, state leagues etc.

I seen some prem 18's & very little challenge 18's but was told that hurst played in the finals, was also told that a young bloke from ece who played about half the games in challenge finished 3rd in challenge bnf but got a promotion to prem can't think o' the name at mo he didn't make pioneers either.

Agree that both paine & hurst even with last years efforts ( I seen games live as a mate had kid in the rebels & i knew some heat kids also watched the dvd) were unlucky to miss out t some o' the blokes that got selected, I didn't make it this year but have heard from others that dimech, nolan & stibbard struggled & that others were a little of the pace, the discription I got for 1 sounded very like paine o' 09 will wait t see the dvd though.

would be interested to hear your thoughts each sides best scholo's or not will keep an eye out when I borrow the dvd.

Also heard bray played well for pigeons

Anyone else who would like to give us their thoughts on how the scholarship boys went during the season would be appreciated, just tryin to get a line on how they may play for gws for though I support the blue boys am interested in footy in Sydney

Stevebull just wanting a clarification and explanation on your comments on Western sydney pioneers two tallest players. One boy picked up footy 2 years ago and has progressed very well in this time. ARe reminder that both boys were under age at the carnival. Could you also explain your comment about the U-turn bay??

Stevebull just wanting a clarification and explanation on your comments on Western sydney pioneers two tallest players. One boy picked up footy 2 years ago and has progressed very well in this time. ARe reminder that both boys were under age at the carnival. Could you also explain your comment about the U-turn bay??

Apparently he continued to turn around & run backwards & most of his play appeared to go the opposite way t his team mates, to quote my source "all he did was U turns n run backwards.

Thanks loosey

Allways a pleasure to hear from you.

I agree that the best way to watch every footy code other that league (whih hardly moves so is perfect for the camera but boring as bat s#@* live) is live, as you don't get t see the of the off the ball stuff such as unrewarded leads, long ranging gut busting runs, sheppards etc but the TV will still show dropped overhead marks, panicked disposal & unwillingness t contest 50/50 footy. My information was that baddock defended well chased & applied pressure well & only made a couple o' errors & was in pioneers to 10 over the 3 days

As for my knowledge of sydney footy, I know st george struggled in the 1st but have good jnrs as usual & that over the years they have had some very good people involved at their club, balmain w gutted & struggled in all grades but hopefully will comeback as they have also had some great people at their club such as Jock Coles, kipper, Nick archer, chook fowler & others, Nth shore (dogs that they are) struggled f a change in the 1's but on their day still competative & a good 18's, penno a well run club with a lot o' good jnrs disappointing in the 18's,ece supposedly best run club in sydney & bein 1st & ressie prems shows that for a change the self belief o' that mob is justified, 18's disappointed by all accounts, wests played w some entertaining footy but fell away when it mattered dressing room issues perhaps though with people such as the polleys, taylor & crouch involved they should go well again this year, 18's lack depth it's a pity a relationship w bankstown or 1 o' the st george area junior clubs hasn't blossomed, think young lemmey would be better off playin 1's at wests than 18's or 1's at st's, gong battled away & showed promise in 18's during finals, c'town better than balmain but not up t pace consistantly, lost to many players, syd uni played some ok footy but lack depth ex rif bloke egan their best from what I seen despite cole winning phelan, ressies were thought to o' been a big show in the 8 team 2's comp, unsw slow start but came good when it mattered except on the big not sure o' the politics o' that joint but they came up against a very good team in the GF with a heap o young bloke 18 year olds & a 16 year old

Remove this Banner Ad

Back