Gym Accessories

Remove this Banner Ad

RU_ Gave them a go with the squats...

It's a totally new ballgame with a heel, as opposed to flats. My knees were in pain for the first time ever, and I didn't really notice much improvement or difference.

I will give them an extended run, but might interchange with flat Pumas at some point.

I do like the stability on the floor though, so I will persevere
Yeah we are all built differently! This post by Stefi Cohen is a goodie:

They help me out tremendously, I almost can’t squat in flats. Really need to get that ankle mobility sorted out.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

They help me out tremendously, I almost can’t squat in flats. Really need to get that ankle mobility sorted out.

I have no idea, but i am going to say i fail both ;)

Ill get someone to have a look and sort it out

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
As a general rule:
Raised heel is better for working around issues at the hip, whereas a flat sole is better for working around issues at the knee.
As is my answer for all questions in my biomechanics and exercise classss
Hashtag-physics

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

swapped the soles to soft instead of hard and now i got no knee or back pain and it felt easier.

I will persist!

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unleashed weightlifting shoes
Inov8 squat shoes
Lifting straps

Haven't felt the need for a belt yet + at my commercial gym the dudes that wear them sort of make me shake my head.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Unleashed weightlifting shoes
Inov8 squat shoes
Lifting straps

Haven't felt the need for a belt yet + at my commercial gym the dudes that wear them sort of make me shake my head.

I’ve been frequenting a commercial gym the past month (to use machines for my rehab) and there’s always one guy that wears a belt and has the thing done up for literally the whole 30-45 minutes we cross paths.
And this has included exercises like lat pulldowns etc where a belt is genuinely pointless.
He also has wrist wraps which spend the entire time done up as well which suggests they’re doing * all of nothing otherwise his hands would turn purple from the lack of blood to them lol.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve been frequenting a commercial gym the past month (to use machines for my rehab) and there’s always one guy that wears a belt and has the thing done up for literally the whole 30-45 minutes we cross paths.
And this has included exercises like lat pulldowns etc where a belt is genuinely pointless.
He also has wrist wraps which spend the entire time done up as well which suggests they’re doing **** all of nothing otherwise his hands would turn purple from the lack of blood to them lol.

Haha it's a show-off/wanky behaviour, isn't it?!

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
York Belt
York Dip Belt and Chain
SBD Knee Sleeves (probably the best bit of gear I've ever bought)
SBD Knee Wraps (haven't used them yet tbh)
SBD Wrist Wraps
Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor
Polar Loop Activity Tracker
Polar F11 Watch
Taotronics TT-BH09 Bluetooth Headphones

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
He also has wrist wraps which spend the entire time done up as well which suggests they’re doing **** all of nothing otherwise his hands would turn purple from the lack of blood to them lol.

Even better than that, blokes who wear a belt that’s not even on tight enough to hold up your pants. That’s a complete waste of time.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
York Belt
York Dip Belt and Chain
SBD Knee Sleeves (probably the best bit of gear I've ever bought)
SBD Knee Wraps (haven't used them yet tbh)
SBD Wrist Wraps
Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor
Polar Loop Activity Tracker
Polar F11 Watch
Taotronics TT-BH09 Bluetooth Headphones
My Polar Loop activity tracker kicked the bucket a few months ago, about to go all in and purchase a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping the hand sanitiser in gyms becomes a permanent feature, even years from now when this pandemic is behind us.
It really seems to help dry the hands out. I haven't had a single skin tear of my hands from deadlifting since the sanitiser stations have been put in and I haven't seen any chalk residue around the floor either.

I'm pretty minimalist at the gym - no mobile, no belt, no gloves, no straps. Occasionally a cheap stopwatch (if I remember) for some repeat sprints

I'm pretty minimalist at the gym - no mobile, no belt, no gloves, no straps. Occasionally a cheap stopwatch (if I remember) for some repeat sprints

I struggle to understand the kind of workouts most people have, if they can have the energy and strength, to surf,post,message,email straight after a lift???

I have about 2-3mins before my next set, my energy is spent resting/dumping more weight on the barbell and mentally preparing for the next lift. Im usually close to being completely spent and gassed after a lift.

I enjoy the mental break of being at peace and just chilling.

Dont get me wrong, after my workout, I do all that mobile crap but seriously, I like being unable to be contacted for an hour or two while training.

I struggle to understand the kind of workouts most people have, if they can have the energy and strength, to surf,post,message,email straight after a lift???

I have about 2-3mins before my next set, my energy is spent resting/dumping more weight on the barbell and mentally preparing for the next lift. Im usually close to being completely spent and gassed after a lift.

I enjoy the mental break of being at peace and just chilling.

Dont get me wrong, after my workout, I do all that mobile crap but seriously, I like being unable to be contacted for an hour or two while training.
Preach!!!

I barely have time to remain upright after a lift or push. phone is for changing song/podcast or adding to the irritating people/things annoy at the gym thread

Preach!!!

I barely have time to remain upright after a lift or push. phone is for changing song/podcast or adding to the irritating people/things annoy at the gym thread

I only recently brought a phone to the gym too, because my stupid fitbit watch after an update I couldnt upload any music, so I couldnt connect my headphones to the watch and listen to music.

With gym creeps also taking pictures/videos of girls etc I am surprised they are allowed to be used as often that they are.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Well, don't I feel like a loser. I don't use gloves, special shoes, wraps, knee things or anything other than wireless earbuds (Jaybird Vistas, if it matters!).

My hands get a bit callused on "pull" day, and I'm rubbing some of my (ample) leg hair off my shins with deadlifts, but all in all my lack of accessories doesn't seem to be a problem.

Just my lack of strength, technique and ability.

May 22, 2016
Perf
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
WV Mountaineers Texas Rangers
Belt, Knee Sleeves, Wrist wraps.

If i forget to bring any of them I'm driving home to get them 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back