Veteran Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor
Sep 9, 2006
Best Young Side Land
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Hey all

Im 18 at the moment (19 in october) and have recently started going to the gym.

Im naturaly skinny, about 179 cm and 63kg. About two weeks ago (when i just started gym) i was 60 so i have gained muscle pretty fast i reckon.

Am looking to pretty much get as big as my body will allow me, dont really care how strong i am, just want to look big if you get me.

Starting the protein shakes this week aswell.

So what exercises do you think would be the best for me?

Am currently doing

Bicep curls (7.5kg, 3sets 10reps)
Shoulder press (18, 3s 10r)
Bench Press (36, 3s 12r)
Leg Press (65, 3s 10r)
Rowing machine (around 100 pounds, 3s, 10r)
Sit ups
Pec machine (28kg, 3s 10r)

probably more but am having a mental blank.

What do you reccomend for me to just get as big as i can?

thanks

Ps. Doing gym for about 1 hour sessions every monday,wednesday and friday morning. Is that enough?

cut down on the reps a bit and up the weight and drop the rowing machine - thats more for fitness that building muscle mass.

HGH, Stanazonol, Anavar, Anadrol etc. You will be huge in no time. The health effects may not be all you are looking for.

Ps. Doing gym for about 1 hour sessions every monday,wednesday and friday morning. Is that enough?

If you want to be BIG you need to work specific groups of muscles.

ie Upper Body one day. Lower body the next. rinse repeat. Or even more specific. Shoulders/Arms then Chest/Back then legs/lower body.

What's you definition of big. Body builder big, in which case you'll need the drugs listed above.

AFL player build. in which case maybe think of the occasional PUMP class as well as free wieghts. I do 2 pump classes a week, with big weights for a pump class (30kg for chest but 110 - 140 reps of that HURTS) as well as free weights and cycling. A guy i haven't seen in 5 years looked at me on friday and went "jesus, you're built". But I'm not huge, neither do i want to be.

Ask any old body builder,and he'll tell you ...stick with the basics
Squats,Bench press and deadlift!!!
Then go home and EAT!!!!!

Core Strength Baby - Deadlifts, Squats are the key to becoming huge and Big Weights Low Reps on Arms and Legs

So cut down on reps and max weights?

What are the max reps i should be doing?

Ill start doing squats and deadlifts...

As a beginner I don't think it will make a huge amount of difference what specific exercises and number of reps you are doing, as long as each muscle group is being worked. I am 15 and have been doing weights regularly for about 3 months now and have made these gains (I do more than these exercises, but it shows most muscle groups improving)

Exercise - December - March (pounds)
Bench Press - 75 - 125
Seated Rows - 100 - 160
Leg Press - 165 - 550 (proud of that)
Triceps Pushdown - 80 - 150
Preacher Curls - 30 - 50

I originally was on a simple 3-day per week full body workout program a trainer wrote for me, but after that I wrote my own 6-day program (workout #1 back, arms, shoulders, workout #2 chest, legs).

So as long as you just stick to a solid routine you should see some very good beginner gains in the first couple of months. Nothing fancy is required.

As a beginner I don't think it will make a huge amount of difference what specific exercises and number of reps you are doing, as long as each muscle group is being worked. I am 15 and have been doing weights regularly for about 3 months now and have made these gains (I do more than these exercises, but it shows most muscle groups improving)

Exercise - December - March (pounds)
Bench Press - 75 - 125
Seated Rows - 100 - 160
Leg Press - 165 - 550 (proud of that)
Triceps Pushdown - 80 - 150
Preacher Curls - 30 - 50

I originally was on a simple 3-day per week full body workout program a trainer wrote for me, but after that I wrote my own 6-day program (workout #1 back, arms, shoulders, workout #2 chest, legs).

So as long as you just stick to a solid routine you should see some very good beginner gains in the first couple of months. Nothing fancy is required.
Wow, nice work.

what weight did you start at and what weight are you now?

150 on tricep push down is massive!

So cut down on reps and max weights?

What are the max reps i should be doing?

Ill start doing squats and deadlifts...

Don't do more than eight to ten reps for about three sets - and make sure you train to exhaustion - that is - start of doing your sets of eight to ten and then do a lower weight until you cannot lift it any more and then lower and lower - training to exhaustion twangs your muscle fibres for maximum growth.

Don't overdo the heaviness! You see kids using their entire body to do three bicep curls with a huge weight. Better to be conservative and use perfect form. As Barassi says "perfect practice makes perfect" - better to have good form and really attack the muscle group you want to grow than put your back out lifting something that is too heavy for you.

Also better not to over do it - do no more than two sessions a week and then work up to three focusing on different muscle groups.

Get yourself a basic body building book - I can recommend a book called Power Factor Training.

The last thing I would say it don't over do it with the Protein Shakes - do lean meat like Kangaroo, or Skinless chicken breasts - you don't want your new muscles covered in fat because your not burning enough. You also have to be disciplined about doing at least some cardio - it breaks up the iron pumping and helps you stay cut

www.muscletalk.co.uk

www.ironaddicts.com

back: deadlifts, barbell rows, widegrip chins (or lat pulldowns), dumbell shrugs.

chest: flat bench dumbell press, incline bench press, standing cable flyes (or dumbell flyes)

shoulders: military press, rack cleans, seated lateral raises, reverse cable crossovers

triceps: closegrip bench press (or skullcrushers), cable pushdowns, rope pushdowns

biceps: barbell curls, seated incline dumbell curls

forearms: reverse curls, wrist curls, rope & bar

legs: squats, hamstring curls, calf raises

day 1: back & forearms
day 2: chest & biceps
day 3: rest
day 4: shoulders
day 5: legs & triceps

or any split that feels good, but those are the excercises you need to be doing. you could add dips on chest or tricep day, some people swear by them. they just hurt my shoulder joints.

All excercises would be in the 3x8-10 format except squats and calf raises which would be sets of 20ish

Eat big, sleep heaps. at 63kg dont be too anal about what you eat, as long as you get plenty of protein and carbs.

If you are a meso or endomorph, size will come good n fast, if you're an ectomorph...be prepared for the long haul. As with every other lifter, change your routine every few months, mix things up, keep the body guessing.

Have fun!

If you are a meso or endomorph, size will come good n fast, if you're an ectomorph...be prepared for the long haul. As with every other lifter, change your routine every few months, mix things up, keep the body guessing.

Have fun!
I THINK im an ectomorph, well i thought, but size has been coming in pretty quick since i started (up to 65kg), so i guess its going good:thumbsu:

Thanks for the advice though mate i will use that:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Hey all

Im 16 at the moment (17 in october) and have recently started going to the gym.

Im naturaly skinny, about 179 cm and 63kg. About two weeks ago (when i just started gym) i was 60 so i have gained muscle pretty fast i reckon.

Am looking to pretty much get as big as my body will allow me, dont really care how strong i am, just want to look big if you get me.

Starting the protein shakes this week aswell.

So what exercises do you think would be the best for me?

Am currently doing

Bicep curls (7.5kg, 3sets 10reps)
Shoulder press (18, 3s 10r)
Bench Press (36, 3s 12r)
Leg Press (65, 3s 10r)
Rowing machine (around 100 pounds, 3s, 10r)
Sit ups
Pec machine (28kg, 3s 10r)

probably more but am having a mental blank.

thanks

3 things

1) you're missing squats and deadlifts, at a minimum, you must have these in any sensible muscle building routine, they along with bench press are the big compound exercises, which means they use several muscles at once, for a beginner they are absolutely essential. Personally I would also make sure you have pull ups ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_(exercise) ) as well.
2) as others have said, probably lower your reps and up your weights, go to failure on the last set if possible.
3) EAT. Eat a sh1tload, you probably don't need protein shakes, you can get enough protein from your food if you eat well, especially at 63kgs. check out the diet and nutrition section here forum.bodybuilding.com to see the types of things people eat. My main focus at your size would be eating a lot and not eating junk etc, meats, fish, tuna, chicken, carbs from unprocessed sources like wholemeal bread, potatoes sweet potatoes vegetables etc fats from nuts and olive oil etc. But mainly getting lots and lots of calories into you is the main thing when you start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back