Gym & Misc Gyms

Remove this Banner Ad

Infra Ted

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jan 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was interested in knowing people's thoughts on gyms. A mate of mine is thinking about joining jets. I've never trained at one but I've heard they've got F all equipment. No squat racks, etc. (WTF?!). I suppose it may be geared towards safety as it's a 24 hour with minimal to no supervision but any Anytime Fitness I've been to has at least one.

The Your World Fitness in the Adelaide CBD is really nice and has everything you could possibly need (seen some crows train here in the off-season). I sometimes train at the new World Gym in Norwood but it can sometimes be full of arrogant tool bags (as you'd expect).

I generally train at my local anytime but mix it up with the other two so it doesn't get too tedious. The latter two are better for a proper leg day.

I was recently in Perth and had heard good things about the Golds Gym in Rockingham but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to train there. The non-stop in Mandurah (I think) was pretty good as well.

Anyway what are you guys' experiences with different gyms? Where do you train? What are your likes/dislikes of those gyms?

It comes down to both your personality and goals.
Just want somewhere that you can train whenever you like by yourself? basically any 24/7 gym would do
Want somewhere where you can train with a bunch of other meatheads? World's, Doherty's etc would be your best bet
Want somewhere a bit more exclusive, train in a group and a massive social aspect? CrossFit gym is probs best
Training for athletic purposes? a gym with more specialized equipment and trainers with Ex Science degrees and ASCA membership

As a general rule I dislike people so I set up my garage to be as boss as possible ($30-$40K of gear at retail), but I also acknowledge the best way for me to reach my goals (as strong as possible) is to be around people stronger than me so I also drive 45 minutes each way to the other side of the city on the weekend to train at a specific strength and conditioning gym with guys that have similar training philosophies and goals as me

Just want somewhere that you can train whenever you like by yourself? basically any 24/7 gym would do
Want somewhere where you can train with a bunch of other meatheads? World's, Doherty's etc would be your best bet
Want somewhere a bit more exclusive, train in a group and a massive social aspect? CrossFit gym is probs best
Training for athletic purposes? a gym with more specialized equipment and trainers with Ex Science degrees and ASCA membership

As a general rule I dislike people so I set up my garage to be as boss as possible ($30-$40K of gear at retail), but I also acknowledge the best way for me to reach my goals (as strong as possible) is to be around people stronger than me so I also drive 45 minutes each way to the other side of the city on the weekend to train at a specific strength and conditioning gym with guys that have similar training philosophies and goals as me
Is there a gym in the US that has nationwide memberships? Just looking for something for a few months while travelling.

Is there a gym in the US that has nationwide memberships? Just looking for something for a few months while travelling.

It's been a while since I was last over there but I'm 90% confident there is
Maybe World's or Gold's?
Otherwise more "commercial" chains like LA Fitness, Anytime etc
If they exist I'm sure they'll pop up on a Google Search

The best ones are called boxes.:p;)

First joined local Jetts 3-4 years ago. For some reason they are scared/afraid of the safety hazards on having squat rack and chest press stations. Many members complain quite often but don't seem to be putting them in most gyms. Only 1 Jetts gym I know in northern suburbs of WA has a squat rack.

I'm now a member of Anytime Fitness, and have been for nearly 2 years. It's great, have the right balance of free weights and assisted machines. No
complaints there.
NextGen in Kings Park, though, is unbelievable. Three storeys of fitness centres - lap pools, squash and tennis courts, and a huge gym. But being a member there is not cheap (1200 a year I heard..) Definitely worth a visit for a day or two.

I go to good life's. Bumpers, good kettlebells, bands and saunas.

Mine is about to put in a sled track too. They are getting pretty decent with the array of actual S&C equipment these days

I go to good life's. Bumpers, good kettlebells, bands and saunas.

Mine is about to put in a sled track too. They are getting pretty decent with the array of actual S&C equipment these days

Equipment wise GL and FF are heaps better these days.
Not sure I could put up with training there though haha, and they do lack some of the specialty equipment that would draw me to a gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Back