serpico66

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juventus, Liverpool
I have been told by a friend that there are now people in Melbourne who have successfully hacked the Foxtel Digital signal by using a Dreamcast(?) box. His brother in law has had this installed apparently.

Supposedly all you need is to have had Foxtel cabling in your house previously and away you go.

They also tell me that for current Foxtel subscribers these guys can put some sort of device on your Foxtel line that will allow you access to all channels regardless of the package you are on.

Has anyone else heard this or is this an urban myth?

First i've heard. But it wouldn't surprise me. People are always trying to find ways to hack s**t. And more often than not some are likely to succeed.

Foxtel Digital is a thing of the past now anyway.

I have to say that I had the "Free" version of Foxtel for about 3 years until it stopped working, but nowadays there is Foxtel IQ which is a lifesaver as I barely get to watch it during the day or between like 5-9 so I can watch it later at night and skip all the channels, then there is also Foxtel On Demand, which will only expand and become more and more valuable over time.

BTW I haven't heard of it.

I remember the "gold cards" with the old foxtel boxes that would let you watch every channel for nothing. You didn't want to leave it in your box all the time though because you needed your original card to receive firmware updates so we'd only put it in when we wanted to watch say, the foxfooty feed from WA (this allowed us to watch Vic games live instead of delayed).

Haven't heard of anyone hacking foxtel digital but wouldn't be surprised if hacks were out there by now.

Foxtel Digital is a thing of the past now anyway.

I have to say that I had the "Free" version of Foxtel for about 3 years until it stopped working, but nowadays there is Foxtel IQ which is a lifesaver as I barely get to watch it during the day or between like 5-9 so I can watch it later at night and skip all the channels, then there is also Foxtel On Demand, which will only expand and become more and more valuable over time.

BTW I haven't heard of it.

By Foxtel Digital I think he means the whole line which includes IQ which is digital but with a Hard drive recorder.

With hacking digital wouldn't there be risk that foxtel will update your box which prevents it being hacked and then locking out your box, much like Xbox-360 when it is chipped.

People Use Their Pvrs For Fox Now Better Picture And More Space

By Foxtel Digital I think he means the whole line which includes IQ which is digital but with a Hard drive recorder.

With hacking digital wouldn't there be risk that foxtel will update your box which prevents it being hacked and then locking out your box, much like Xbox-360 when it is chipped.

No I mean Foxtel in general.

You paid for foxtel in the past, the cabling is left in your home and now they somehow rig up some special box which allows you to get Foxtel without paying. I think it only works on Satellite conenctions

I thought they got rid of the cabling when you got rid of your connection?

Only inside the house but you can go to Tandy and buy the scart connectors with the coaxial cabling to hook a consol up.

Foxtel don’t remove any cabling from outside (the box outside on the wall) or the transmission cable to the powerlines (or the satellite dish).

Only inside the house but you can go to Tandy and buy the scart connectors with the coaxial cabling to hook a consol up.

Foxtel don’t remove any cabling from outside (the box outside on the wall) or the transmission cable to the powerlines (or the satellite dish).

When we moved in here all the cables were left in tact inside the house... All they had to due when I had foxtel connected was bring in the set top box and plug it in.

Oh ok.

So it's pretty simple then?

What’s that? Hacking into Foxtel?

I assume you are trying to hack into it and gain the service for free? The signal will be turned off, how do you intend on having the Foxtel signal relayed to your house for free?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not doing that at all.

Just been reading this thread with interest and thought more had to be done rather than just getting something from Tandy.

I have already got Foxtel at home.

I assume you are trying to hack into it and gain the service for free? The signal will be turned off, how do you intend on having the Foxtel signal relayed to your house for free?

Ok a Foxtel employee speaking here.

The signal generally isnt turned off, its all about the Foxtel box and smartcard now. You can hook any active Foxtel set top unit to an old signal connection and it will work. You can even connect it through your cable broadband connection as it is essentially the same thing.

The key word there is active though folks. The STU needs to be activated through Foxtels system for it to work. Only way to get an active STU is for it to be registered under a Foxtel account.

There is a way around that, but ill let you work that out for yourself :)

Ok a Foxtel employee speaking here.

The signal generally isnt turned off, its all about the Foxtel box and smartcard now. You can hook any active Foxtel set top unit to an old signal connection and it will work. You can even connect it through your cable broadband connection as it is essentially the same thing.

The key word there is active though folks. The STU needs to be activated through Foxtels system for it to work. Only way to get an active STU is for it to be registered under a Foxtel account.

There is a way around that, but ill let you work that out for yourself :)

The boys must have hated you at parties then :D

Yes. I subtly suggested that you were gay for not telling us how to hack cable.

You can't steal it for free, but you can send the signal to other people, so you have like 10 TV's with foxtel but only 1 subscription (therefore 1 fee). Run the signal through something like a fax machine which sends the signal through an ADSL connection, get an old box and Bobs your uncle. Not that I've been doing it for like 4 months now or anything.....

Ok Here are some myths and facts

Myth - Foxtel take the cabling when you disconnect (they take the smartcard and the box, if you dont give the rca cables back they wont bother chasing you for them, this cost is factored into what you pay for monthly. The cabling from either the satellite dish or the isolation unit (the grey box attached to the outside of your house that receives the cable feed from the street WILL NOT be removed, nor will the cabling that goes to the socket in the wall that the foxtel cable connects to from your tv/vcr/dvd recorder. Have you ever had foxtel knock on your door and offer you that sweet deal to reconnect because all the infrastructure is already in place....pretty hard to offer that special if this is all "ripped out" at the time of you disconnecting. Hell it costs foxtel more to actually send the techs to your joint to install everything for the first time so these reconnects are money for jam.

Myth - Your signal will be turned off for hacking foxtel...the cable signal that runs through to your house is always active, even if you have had foxtel disconnected in the past.

Fact - You can obtain cable DIGITAL foxtel illegally, even still to this day if you desire....you just need to know how!! As stated above, the signal is always active (for cable customers). All you need to do is have access to a set top box & programmed/activated smartcard. Both of these things can be done if you know who to ask.

Fact - I know this because I have previously worked in the data security sector that deals with digital theft of all sorts of copyrighted material, both internet based and via other mediums.

Fact - If you can keep yourself from bragging to your mates + family this little ruse can go on forever and a day. If you do spill the beans to someone you can be sure that eventually someone will inform the people employed in a roll similar to what I worked in. Jeleous co-workers, family members & scorned ex lovers were our bread and butter!!! You tell one person, they tell one person...you get the drift, it really does spread that quickly.

Myth - Foxtel can track the signal and catch you this way. Not true. Not going to go into any depth here to explain why this is the case. If you feel the need I am sure a google search would eventually lead you to the answers you seek.

So from what I've read above, I've come to this conclusion.

The people who previously owned my house, had foxtel installed. This has been confirmed, because I am frequently receiving mail from foxtel saying my house has previously had it installed, and it would be very easy for them to come and reinstall it for me. I can see the point still in the wall.

My brother has foxtel installed at his house. I understand that you can pay $10 to $20 a month to have a 2nd foxtel box, for a 2nd TV.

Reading between the lines, are you suggesting that that 2nd TV could be the TV sitting in my lounge room. Foxtel don't know that the box is at my house, rather than my brothers.

The people who previously owned my house, had foxtel installed. This has been confirmed, because I am frequently receiving mail from foxtel saying my house has previously had it installed, and it would be very easy for them to come and reinstall it for me. I can see the point still in the wall.

My brother has foxtel installed at his house. I understand that you can pay $10 to $20 a month to have a 2nd foxtel box, for a 2nd TV.

Reading between the lines, are you suggesting that that 2nd TV could be the TV sitting in my lounge room. Foxtel don't know that the box is at my house, rather than my brothers.

beleive this may be true...mate of mine is hooking me up. he has foxtel platinum, by getting a 2nd box and a satelite for my place there is a way for me to get fox using his account

Thats the trick I've heard.

haven't done it though so can't vouch for it being literally true.

Can be connected through your internet cable connection if you have a foxtel box. My mate has done this. Gets all the channels and some PPV's.

;) Pretty much

Ilegal cable is out there, both Optus/Foxtel Digital

Dont need an existing cable line, can be done via satellite dish, a box and a very expensive hacked smartcard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back