Hacks to stars

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson is a very good footballer. Took a while to come good but once Sheedy left he improved dramatically. Wouldn't have minded Watson in dogs colours at all. Drug saga completely irrelevant.

He was already a very good footballer by his 4th season, at age 21. Obviously wasn't as good as he eventually became at his peak (2010-2014), but that's because that's was him in his absolute prime (25-29 years of age), and like most footballers, he was still developing at age 21.

I don't think he was ever necessarily a "hack", just a young player who needed to learn what it took (physically, mentally and skill wise) and develop into an AFL footballer, and get some opportunity (played just 13 senior games for 60.23% gametime in his first three seasons) as well.

There a number of kids from the 2016 draft that have kicking issues, but it is not that much of a big deal because it can turn around remarkably. Dont see it as a huge deterrent for drafting.

So why was Jonty Scharenberg, state captain and U/18 All-Australian, not drafted then?

Heard it wasnt just his kicking that was the problem. Wasnt Graham captain?

Yeah, Scharenberg was Vice Captain. Still, like Graham, he was definitely an U/18 All-Australian this year.

Kicking seemed to be bought up as his main issue time and again, though. Fair enough too, because I completely disagree that it's not a deterrent for drafting in today's footy.

Yeah, Scharenberg was Vice Captain. Still, like Graham, he was definitely an U/18 All-Australian this year.

Kicking seemed to be bought up as his main issue time and again, though. Fair enough too, because I completely disagree that it's not a deterrent for drafting in today's footy.
You can make an argument that it's more important than ever.

Yeah his kicking was average, but it was supposedly his attitude that was the biggest deterrent.

All depends on how bad of a kick the player is, Jonty's was average, but by no means bad. It can be fixed when they get into an elite program. Sam Powell Pepper was the same with his kicking, but improved it in his draft year.

Kicking can be fixed, but it shouldnt be that much of a deterrent.

Yeah his kicking was average, but it was supposedly his attitude that was the biggest deterrent.

All depends on how bad of a kick the player is, Jonty's was average, but by no means bad. It can be fixed when they get into an elite program. Sam Powell Pepper was the same with his kicking, but improved it in his draft year.

Kicking can be fixed, but it shouldnt be that much of a deterrent.
The under 18s program is a developmental program, that's where the 'fixing' happens.

I thought his poor beep was a bigger issue?

I do remember someone talking to our then coach (Brendan McCartney) about Clay Smith's kicking being terrible, and he basically said he didn't mind because if he could kick he would have lasted to our pick 17. Clubs often will overlook one glaring weakness in a player's game if it is somewhat fixable provided they have other elite qualities.

Jonty seems to have two issues, and not being overly quick doesn't help him either. What do we know though, he'll probably go to the SANFL for a year or two and then get a shot and become the next Barlow.

Paddy Ambrose looking a chance to defy early naysayers at Essendon. While not a star as yet, he is making a name for himself at the club. Is very difficult to outpoint these days due to exceptional athletic traits and his skills have improved tenfold. I have to admit I thought he might be one of those athlete-only hacks. But he is, at the very least, now an established best 22.

Sorry if he has already been mentioned, but Dane Rampe definitely fits the bill for this thread. Targeted for one on one contests by other clubs in his first couple of years to AA defender in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back