Hacks to stars

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. He was a possible hack with one very outstanding performance on his resumè on the biggest stage in footy.

Reminds me of Roger Merrett who, I would have to admit, I considered a hack until 83/84 when he became a feared CHF. Prior to that he played many reserves games and came in and out of the senior team to fill holes in defense or forward. He always seemed quite limited early days. Didn't seem to kick many goals and was beaten one on one by quality forwards. Then all of a sudden he found the intimidation factor and also became a goal kicker. And was never seen in defense again.

EDIT - he actually won the Gardiner Medal in 82 for reserves comp B&F. Only notable player to win it other than Rog was another likely hack; Tony Liberatore...

Fair call on old Rodger Dodger....1985 was a big year for him....Though a certain catalyst by the name of Don Scott, who fingered him as a 'hit-man' in the press during the 1984 season, certainly deserves some credit.

Gave excellent service to the bad news Bears in those early years & was pretty much a lone-hand in holding that side together in a competitive sense.

Jared McVeigh..... Was the bane of Swans supporters for his first 4 years. Used a high draft selection to get him and he delivered nothing. Horrible ball user. Couldn't get to the contest or find the pill. Was horrible to watch.

Now, complete opposite and captain of the club. Leads by example and uses it precisely. Spiritual leader of the club and has willed the team across the line on his own on several occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the age of 34 he still got 15 votes in the Brownlow.
You don't become Captain of a superstar side if you can't play.
I get sick of people that didn't see him play his career and not rate him just because he was so unassuming.

Yep, very harsh call on Tucky. Could play.

Jared McVeigh..... Was the bane of Swans supporters for his first 4 years. Used a high draft selection to get him and he delivered nothing. Horrible ball user. Couldn't get to the contest or find the pill. Was horrible to watch.

Now, complete opposite and captain of the club. Leads by example and uses it precisely. Spiritual leader of the club and has willed the team across the line on his own on several occasions.

Can't agree this bloke leads by example. He must have done that in 2014 as he didn't get a smell of it and nor did most of the rest of them. He led them into oblivion.

But I do have two from Swans.

Brett Kirk was told to go home but had another go and after several seasons finally made the Seniors. He never looked back and became one of the premier mids in the game. Not only that he was the best captain Swans have had since Paul Kelly. We haven't had one like him since.

Teddy Richards was going nowhere as a forward at Bombers. He transferred to Swans and the rest is history. During the 2010 season Teddy was not going particularly well. He was dropped to the reserves and had a think about how he was approaching defending. He looked at all the best defenders over the years, even called a few of them, to see how they played. He incorporated this into his game and returned triumphantly to the Seniors. In 2012 he was made All Australian and was a premiership fullback.

Can't agree this bloke leads by example. He must have done that in 2014 as he didn't get a smell of it and nor did most of the rest of them. He led them into oblivion.

But I do have two from Swans.

Brett Kirk was told to go home but had another go and after several seasons finally made the Seniors. He never looked back and became one of the premier mids in the game. Not only that he was the best captain Swans have had since Paul Kelly. We haven't had one like him since.

Teddy Richards was going nowhere as a forward at Bombers. He transferred to Swans and the rest is history. During the 2010 season Teddy was not going particularly well. He was dropped to the reserves and had a think about how he was approaching defending. He looked at all the best defenders over the years, even called a few of them, to see how they played. He incorporated this into his game and returned triumphantly to the Seniors. In 2012 he was made All Australian and was a premiership fullback.

If we were gutting the list based on that game we'd only have 4 players left. Hard to single anyone out. There were some very putrid players that day

If we were gutting the list based on that game we'd only have 4 players left. Hard to single anyone out. There were some very putrid players that day

Yes that's true but they were not supposed to be leading the team. We are talking leaders here. A true leader stands up no matter the odds and brings the team along with him/her.

Fair enough. He was a possible hack with one very outstanding performance on his resumè on the biggest stage in footy.

Reminds me of Roger Merrett who, I would have to admit, I considered a hack until 83/84 when he became a feared CHF. Prior to that he played many reserves games and came in and out of the senior team to fill holes in defense or forward. He always seemed quite limited early days. Didn't seem to kick many goals and was beaten one on one by quality forwards. Then all of a sudden he found the intimidation factor and also became a goal kicker. And was never seen in defense again.

EDIT - he actually won the Gardiner Medal in 82 for reserves comp B&F. Only notable player to win it other than Rog was another likely hack; Tony Liberatore...
Greg Dear also won the gardiner medal n 1985

Yep, very harsh call on Tucky. Could play.
Yep, in fact I saw Tucky do some quite 'assuming' things too during his career. If you watch YouTube highlights of the era he pops up now and then with a nice grab or a freaky goal. He was a wonderful reader of the game. I always said Hird was the best I saw at seeing the game unfold before it happened. Tucky had a bit of that quality about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back