Toast Hail King ROB

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it was everyone’s favourite brain surgeon subaru who went off on TMS

Can’t recall - what’s a TMS ?

No quote from you but the fact you tagged me over , well, nothing really , and avoiding the topic of the thread to do so , speaks volumes F6E99C7A-B7F2-4AD9-8740-562E41C664EB.gif

FWIW ROB has proven himself so far ....no doubt he’ll hit a flat spot ....
Unfortunately now, Sauce is the back up

Last edited:
ROB is without a doubt the main reason why we’ve gone the form reversal since round 4 (1 W and 3 L). His form surge coincides with us winning 6 of our next 8 games.

His second efforts is what’s assisting the team more. More importantly, his inclusion is a simple message by the club “if you give it a fair crack, you’re going to keep being selected”. Take note crappy complacent version JJ and Gibbs.

Jacobs hopefully keeps performing in SANFL to push ROB to the max! The more competition for the 1st ruck spot, the better place we’re in as a club.

The amazing improvement in ROB, CEY, Keith and the successful return of B Crouch, are the main reason for improvement this year.

I think it is great he has that point of view. Means RoB is training hard against someone who is more than competitive with him.

I have no doubt Sauce is backing up this talk with trying to beat RoB at training to get back into the team.

Would love to see the Ruck duals between these two at training.

Much like how Thommo pushed Matt Crouch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd hope there's a fair bit more to it than just ruck duels. It's great that ROB has an experienced big bloke to work against to improve that aspect of his game. But he brings a bucket load more than a heap of hitouts and % to advantage. It's what he does when the ball is in dispute in the stoppage that has him a much better option than Sauce at the moment.

I'd hope there's a fair bit more to it than just ruck duels. It's great that ROB has an experienced big bloke to work against to improve that aspect of his game. But he brings a bucket load more than a heap of hitouts and % to advantage. It's what he does when the ball is in dispute in the stoppage that has him a much better option than Sauce at the moment.
I agree.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Delusional. And for mine it shows complete self centredness to not have noticed how well ROB is travelling and how poor he had been the last couple of seasons. He has no right to think he should be lead ruck. He can think that if required he’s ready and confident he’ll get the job done, but he shouldn’t be thinking he’s our best option right now.
Are you serious?! Do you honestly thing that professional athletes get to that level and stay there for a long time without having a huge amount of confidence and real degree of arrogance and self-entitlement. You are delusional if you think that is not the case.

I want my players to be like that. It means that they care and that they will give it their all. That is all that I can ask for as a fan. Some players are more talented than others, some have greater work ethic than others but they all have one thing in common when it comes to their ability as a sports person and that is they are all supremely confident bordering on arrogant and self centered. Those are the traits that all professional athletes have.

You look though the history of sport and the best of the best are arrogant and self centered pricks. Very rarely do you get someone who is so talented that even if they are lads, they have great careers. Even in those case, they are often labeled as players who were very good but never reaches their full potential.

I have no problem with what Jacobs said. Absolutely none! I would have a huge problem if he didn't want his spot back. it tells me he doesn't give a *. When both players are at their best, Jacobs is still a better ruckman than ROB and ROB has been great for us and will be a very good player. People want to slag off as Sauce because of last year and him wanting to play as many games as he can. There is nothing wrong with that. The amount of mentorship that Jacobs has done with ROB over ROB's time on the list has been enormous so I find it offensive when those from the cheap seats take cheap shots at a player who has done more for ROB's development than arguably anyone else at the club because they are self righteous and feel that someone should behave a certain way or say certain things that they don't like. Only people with preconceived ideas about some players (in this case Jacobs in particular) have read more into his comments than there was to it. Not particularly surprising.

To use basketball as an example, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Barley, Kevin Garnett etc... are some of the best players that have ever played the game. They also happen to be some fo the most arrogant, self centered and entitled athletes to ever play the game of basketball. Hell some of them threw punches at their own team mates in practices. Its all part and parcel of being a professional athletes and getting the absolute best out of yourself. Even our own Mark Ricciuto, get him away from a football field and he is a ripping bloke, one of the nicest blokes you will meet. Get him into a football environment and he is an arrogant SOB that you just want to beat up (if you had the courage to do so). Nothing wring with that. Its called competitiveness and getting the best out of yourself. The only way you can do that is to have unwavering self belief and a sense of entitlement. Some display those traits more than others but all of them have it.

Clutch game in ROB's career tonight. Just dominated a very respected player and got the leagues' attention. Now playing a second choice ruckman in a depleted side.

He dominates tonight and he shuts the door on Sauces career IMO! Plays a stinker, and the Sauce door is wide open.

Balls in your court ROB! Best of luck to you!

Are you serious?! Do you honestly thing that professional athletes get to that level and stay there for a long time without having a huge amount of confidence and real degree of arrogance and self-entitlement. You are delusional if you think that is not the case.

I want my players to be like that. It means that they care and that they will give it their all. That is all that I can ask for as a fan. Some players are more talented than others, some have greater work ethic than others but they all have one thing in common when it comes to their ability as a sports person and that is they are all supremely confident bordering on arrogant and self centered. Those are the traits that all professional athletes have.

You look though the history of sport and the best of the best are arrogant and self centered pricks. Very rarely do you get someone who is so talented that even if they are lads, they have great careers. Even in those case, they are often labeled as players who were very good but never reaches their full potential.

I have no problem with what Jacobs said. Absolutely none! I would have a huge problem if he didn't want his spot back. it tells me he doesn't give a ****. When both players are at their best, Jacobs is still a better ruckman than ROB and ROB has been great for us and will be a very good player. People want to slag off as Sauce because of last year and him wanting to play as many games as he can. There is nothing wrong with that. The amount of mentorship that Jacobs has done with ROB over ROB's time on the list has been enormous so I find it offensive when those from the cheap seats take cheap shots at a player who has done more for ROB's development than arguably anyone else at the club because they are self righteous and feel that someone should behave a certain way or say certain things that they don't like. Only people with preconceived ideas about some players (in this case Jacobs in particular) have read more into his comments than there was to it. Not particularly surprising.

To use basketball as an example, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Barley, Kevin Garnett etc... are some of the best players that have ever played the game. They also happen to be some fo the most arrogant, self centered and entitled athletes to ever play the game of basketball. Hell some of them threw punches at their own team mates in practices. Its all part and parcel of being a professional athletes and getting the absolute best out of yourself. Even our own Mark Ricciuto, get him away from a football field and he is a ripping bloke, one of the nicest blokes you will meet. Get him into a football environment and he is an arrogant SOB that you just want to beat up (if you had the courage to do so). Nothing wring with that. Its called competitiveness and getting the best out of yourself. The only way you can do that is to have unwavering self belief and a sense of entitlement. Some display those traits more than others but all of them have it.
He really should have talked ROB up, conceded that he is almost finished, then dropped the bottom lip and hung his head in shame.

Very strange responses to Jacobs in here. He's not going to come out and say that he's over the hill and shouldn't be considered. He knows he's still good enough to play at the highest level. Saying things like wanting to reclaim "my spot" are standard in sport, there's nothing untoward there.

If he was refusing to help ROB out, so he could get his spot back, then there would be an issue. But he's not. He's putting pressure on and breathing down ROB's neck, as any player in the 2s should. And frankly, ROB seems to be relishing it.

Very strange responses to Jacobs in here. He's not going to come out and say that he's over the hill and shouldn't be considered. He knows he's still good enough to play at the highest level. Saying things like wanting to reclaim "my spot" are standard in sport, there's nothing untoward there.

If he was refusing to help ROB out, so he could get his spot back, then there would be an issue. But he's not. He's putting pressure on and breathing down ROB's neck, as any player in the 2s should. And frankly, ROB seems to be relishing it.
So he’s come out and said he expects to be playing second half of the year, hows he expecting to get a game, a ROB injury or loss of form or he should just be picked?

So he’s come out and said he expects to be playing second half of the year, hows he expecting to get a game, a ROB injury or loss of form or he should just be picked?
Have you ever thought that he might be backing himself in to beat ROB to the spot?! Believe it or not it just might the most logical conclusion!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, this is his career and lively hood on the line here, of course he is going to fight like hell to to get his spot back and has every right to say what he did. He is not going to just roll over and accept that his football career is done.

As people have mentioned, the contest between ROB and Sauce to be the number 1 ruck is only going to make them both perform at a higher level.

If ROB keeps performing how?
But is there a guarantee that he will keep performing? Playing form is one thing. We are a club that values training form pretty highly because you are up against your peers who are above the SANFL level. Jacobs is backing himself in to play so well at SANFL that he cannot be ignored and then in his head to head battles with ROB at training to beat him hands down. We are a team that does a LOT of match simulation at our training and training sessions can be pretty intense is terms of competition for spots.

That's the beauty of this whole thing. ROB has done enough on game day to keep his spot at this point and he has an advantage over Sauce from that perspective.

No one knows if he will last the season. He has played 12 AFL games to date. This is the first time he is up against AFL competition week in week out. First time he is up against bigger bodies, more physical opponents, more intense, quicker plays...it adds up over a season. If he continues to keep improving and keep playing at a very high level, he will be tougher to displace from the team but history says younger, less experienced players tire as the season goes on as it is a much more physically taxing game than SANFL.

Same was said about Himmelberg and how JJ won't get his spot back. Younger players do hit a wall and find it tougher once opposition start scouting them a bit more and make it more difficult for them to do the things that they are doing well. Competition is a great thing and Sauce says he will get back into the side in the 2nd half of the year it means that he will give ROB run for his money. That can only mean a very good thing for us as a team, ROB in terms of his development and Sauce in terms of his desire to get back into the team.

But is there a guarantee that he will keep performing? Playing form is one thing. We are a club that values training form pretty highly because you are up against your peers who are above the SANFL level. Jacobs is backing himself in to play so well at SANFL that he cannot be ignored and then in his head to head battles with ROB at training to beat him hands down. We are a team that does a LOT of match simulation at our training and training sessions can be pretty intense is terms of competition for spots.

That's the beauty of this whole thing. ROB has done enough on game day to keep his spot at this point and he has an advantage over Sauce from that perspective.

No one knows if he will last the season. He has played 12 AFL games to date. This is the first time he is up against AFL competition week in week out. First time he is up against bigger bodies, more physical opponents, more intense, quicker plays...it adds up over a season. If he continues to keep improving and keep playing at a very high level, he will be tougher to displace from the team but history says younger, less experienced players tire as the season goes on as it is a much more physically taxing game than SANFL.

Same was said about Himmelberg and how JJ won't get his spot back. Younger players do hit a wall and find it tougher once opposition start scouting them a bit more and make it more difficult for them to do the things that they are doing well. Competition is a great thing and Sauce says he will get back into the side in the 2nd half of the year it means that he will give ROB run for his money. That can only mean a very good thing for us as a team, ROB in terms of his development and Sauce in terms of his desire to get back into the team.
But Sauce when he is speaking about playing the second half of the year surely couldn't be banking on ROB's form declining?

As for Sauce's SANFL form and training form forcing him in over an inform AFL ROB, that cant happen, well shouldn't happen.

But Sauce when he is speaking about playing the second half of the year surely couldn't be banking on ROB's form declining?

As for Sauce's SANFL form and training form forcing him in over an inform AFL ROB, that cant happen, well shouldn't happen.
He is backing himself to beat ROB that much is pretty clear.

On training form, why not? If they are pretty close in terms of form on the training track then ROB keeps his spot. If Sauce gets back and starts beating ROB comprehensively on the training track then why shouldn't it happen? Isn't the objective to pick the team that is best placed to win the game? This would be no different to any other AFL club out there. Internal competition is just as important as external and its a great way to develop players.

I'm probably mixing up 2 separate
Also our selection policy of dropping some senior underperforming players has helped.

Funny isn't it how JJ returns in better nick and other players improve after a couple of senior players get dropped. Gibbs I'd have played in every game so far that Mackay made the 22. And now every game that Dougie makes the 22. Still, it keeps people on their toes, the club doesn't implode and become Melbourne overnight because a kid is played ahead of an out of form senior player.

I assume he is hoping to perform better than ROB and be selected on merit.

Maybe ROB's form wanes. Maybe Jacobs ends up in super form. Or maybe not, and ROB continues to hold his spot ahead of Jacobs.

He'd be a pretty s**t sportsman if he just said "oh, I've been overtaken, might as well book a holiday for the rest of the season because there's no coming back now!"

I assume he is hoping to perform better than ROB and be selected on merit.

Maybe ROB's form wanes. Maybe Jacobs ends up in super form. Or maybe not, and ROB continues to hold his spot ahead of Jacobs.

He'd be a pretty **** sportsman if he just said "oh, I've been overtaken, might as well book a holiday for the rest of the season because there's no coming back now!"
As for your last comment has anyone suggested anything close to this?

He is backing himself to beat ROB that much is pretty clear.

On training form, why not? If they are pretty close in terms of form on the training track then ROB keeps his spot. If Sauce gets back and starts beating ROB comprehensively on the training track then why shouldn't it happen? Isn't the objective to pick the team that is best placed to win the game? This would be no different to any other AFL club out there. Internal competition is just as important as external and its a great way to develop players.

In my time of watching football I don’t think I can recall a player who has played well over a block of games getting dropped for someone training better.

Can you give some examples?

I have no problem with what Jacobs said. Absolutely none! I would have a huge problem if he didn't want his spot back. it tells me he doesn't give a ****. When both players are at their best, Jacobs is still a better ruckman than ROB and ROB has been great for us and will be a very good player. People want to slag off as Sauce because of last year and him wanting to play as many games as he can. There is nothing wrong with that. The amount of mentorship that Jacobs has done with ROB over ROB's time on the list has been enormous so I find it offensive when those from the cheap seats take cheap shots at a player who has done more for ROB's development than arguably anyone else at the club because they are self righteous and feel that someone should behave a certain way or say certain things that they don't like. Only people with preconceived ideas about some players (in this case Jacobs in particular) have read more into his comments than there was to it. Not particularly surprising.

I'm referring mostly to Hey Shorty's intel, not the public statements, which I've posted that they piqued my conspiratorial interests, but ultimately I didn't think there was any meaning behind them. Hey Shorty's inside info was that Sauce was pi55ed that he wasn't walking straight into the 1s after his loosening up games. That is different to what you're talking about because it completely dismisses what the player that he expected to make way is doing for the team. I know that you won't accept their is a difference, but there is, expecting to walk back in after a couple of games in the 2s regardless of what his direct competitor is doing is very poor form, selfish and disrespectful to ROB and what he's doing for our team. I've no problem with the desire, I have a problem with the expectation of walking back in regardless of ROB.

Have you ever thought that he might be backing himself in to beat ROB to the spot?! Believe it or not it just might the most logical conclusion!

And there's no problem with that, but there is with Hey Shorty's inside word. You get inside info, why can't you accept that some else does and there's something more than just what is in the papers. You're being very hypocritical about this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back