Toast Hail King ROB

Remove this Banner Ad

And there's no problem with that, but there is with Hey Shorty's inside word. You get inside info, why can't you accept that some else does and there's something more than just what is in the papers. You're being very hypocritical about this.
Mate, I wasn't aware of of the inside info you are referring to and I have not heard any of that which doesn't mean that it didn't take place. I don't know.

I do know that having a break away from playing football has had a very positive impact on Jacobs' mental state and hunger for playing football. Prior to the injury, some from the club believed he was going through the motions, was not enjoying his footy and this was going to be his last year. Being away from the field for however many weeks, has had a positive impact on his mindset and his hunger for playing. I personally think its a good thing for the team in general if this is the case. Its excellent for ROB too as it will keep him on the edge and busting his ass to keep the spot. He is a pretty competitive beast so having Jacobs refreshed and ready to fight will bring the best out of ROB and make us into a better team.

I would be pissed if he didn't feel like wanting to come straight back in. To me that would mean that Jacobs just did not give a *. Clearly he does. I don't think anyone at the club felt disrespected by that. ROB would have thought bring in on. I do know for a fact that Jacobs has been instrumental in ROB's development and has been a great mentor. Even in the last couple of weeks when he was fit to play, Jacobs has spent considerable of time with ROB giving him pointers on how to play against Gawn and Mumford. Hardly a behaviour of someone who is distruptive influence or disrespectful of his team mate.

But is there a guarantee that he will keep performing? Playing form is one thing. We are a club that values training form pretty highly because you are up against your peers who are above the SANFL level. Jacobs is backing himself in to play so well at SANFL that he cannot be ignored and then in his head to head battles with ROB at training to beat him hands down. We are a team that does a LOT of match simulation at our training and training sessions can be pretty intense is terms of competition for spots.

That's the beauty of this whole thing. ROB has done enough on game day to keep his spot at this point and he has an advantage over Sauce from that perspective.

No one knows if he will last the season. He has played 12 AFL games to date. This is the first time he is up against AFL competition week in week out. First time he is up against bigger bodies, more physical opponents, more intense, quicker plays...it adds up over a season. If he continues to keep improving and keep playing at a very high level, he will be tougher to displace from the team but history says younger, less experienced players tire as the season goes on as it is a much more physically taxing game than SANFL.

Same was said about Himmelberg and how JJ won't get his spot back. Younger players do hit a wall and find it tougher once opposition start scouting them a bit more and make it more difficult for them to do the things that they are doing well. Competition is a great thing and Sauce says he will get back into the side in the 2nd half of the year it means that he will give ROB run for his money. That can only mean a very good thing for us as a team, ROB in terms of his development and Sauce in terms of his desire to get back into the team.

The obvious difference between the Himmelberg and JJ scenario is that Himmelberg is a beanpole and JJ is in his prime, coming off his best year. Sauce is past his best and coming off substandard seasons and didn't look particularly good in the preseason and ROB probably doesn't have much more to go in terms of fitness as his time trials showed. I'm not sure how much stronger he can get. The other difference between your comparison is that when JJ is up and about there's nothing that EH does that he doesn't. But the way that ROB hunts the ball and man at stoppages gives us much more grunt than Sauce. There's being a ruckman and then there's being more than a ruckman. ROB is more than a ruckman, Sauce at this stage of his career is not.

He is backing himself to beat ROB that much is pretty clear.

On training form, why not? If they are pretty close in terms of form on the training track then ROB keeps his spot. If Sauce gets back and starts beating ROB comprehensively on the training track then why shouldn't it happen? Isn't the objective to pick the team that is best placed to win the game? This would be no different to any other AFL club out there. Internal competition is just as important as external and its a great way to develop players.

Brad and Matt said on AA that the main session this week lasted 15 minutes because of the short turnaround. When asked what it would normally be the answer was about 30 minutes. Are you seriously suggesting that decisions are being made on who is the better option to ruck over a 30 minute match day simulation, which I doubt all of the session would be, rather than what Sauce was delivering pre-injury compared to what ROB is delivering now? That would be insane for players who are coming back from multiple weeks out. But it would explain why Seed continues to get selected whilst looking like he's running up a sand hill for most of the game.

The obvious difference between the Himmelberg and JJ scenario is that Himmelberg is a beanpole and JJ is in his prime, coming off his best year. Sauce is past his best and coming off substandard seasons and didn't look particularly good in the preseason and ROB probably doesn't have much more to go in terms of fitness as his time trials showed. I'm not sure how much stronger he can get. The other difference between your comparison is that when JJ is up and about there's nothing that EH does that he doesn't. But the way that ROB hunts the ball and man at stoppages gives us much more grunt than Sauce. There's being a ruckman and then there's being more than a ruckman. ROB is more than a ruckman, Sauce at this stage of his career is not.
And I am not disagreeing with any of that. I have always liked a ruckman that follows up his own work and becomes the extra midfielder. Its why I was a fan of Ben Hudson despite Biglands being significantly better at actual ruckwork. Its while I like ROB and why I am a big fan of ruckman who do more than just being good at just actual ruckwork.

In terms of fitness, there is more than just aerobic fitness at play. From that perspective ROB would not have much to worry about. Its the physical rather than aerobic side of the game that is unknown at this stage. He has played 12 AFL games to date. There is a reasonable chance that he "hits the wall at some point".

Funny that I asked because he was on afl selection night on Fox.

You could see it was paining him to be giving ROB credit and it was all about getting back into the side and getting his spot back.

It’s great that he still has the drive but I wonder how having that attitude at the club would be going down.

Don't mind that though.

Sauce knows his time is all but up. We know it, the coaches know it.

Now is the worst time however for ROB to get complacent thinking he now has a Sauce-esque gold pass; not saying that he will.

Sauce saying and having that attitude around the club that he wants to win his spot back is great. He might, he probably won't - but it puts the onus back onto ROB to make sure he does nothing to give the selectors a second thought on his spot.

So far ROB has done exactly that and I have complete faith he will continue to.

Mate, I wasn't aware of of the inside info you are referring to and I have not heard any of that which doesn't mean that it didn't take place. I don't know.

I do know that having a break away from playing football has had a very positive impact on Jacobs' mental state and hunger for playing football. Prior to the injury, some from the club believed he was going through the motions, was not enjoying his footy and this was going to be his last year. Being away from the field for however many weeks, has had a positive impact on his mindset and his hunger for playing. I personally think its a good thing for the team in general if this is the case. Its excellent for ROB too as it will keep him on the edge and busting his ass to keep the spot. He is a pretty competitive beast so having Jacobs refreshed and ready to fight will bring the best out of ROB and make us into a better team.

I would be pissed if he didn't feel like wanting to come straight back in. To me that would mean that Jacobs just did not give a ****. Clearly he does. I don't think anyone at the club felt disrespected by that. ROB would have thought bring in on. I do know for a fact that Jacobs has been instrumental in ROB's development and has been a great mentor. Even in the last couple of weeks when he was fit to play, Jacobs has spent considerable of time with ROB giving him pointers on how to play against Gawn and Mumford. Hardly a behaviour of someone who is distruptive influence or disrespectful of his team mate.

He certainly looked to be moving a lot better in the small amount of his return game in SANFL that I watched. I hope that he continues to move well and be a genuine chance to match ROB's AFL output should it be required. But hearing that he was annoyed that he wasn't an automatic return after his first 2 return games doesn't sit well with me. If ROB was showing signs of waning, I can understand a bit of that. But not when ROB is improving every week and is giving us so much around the stoppage when the ball hits the deck. End result, is Sam knows where he's at, he knows where Reilly is at and he's going to push as hard as possible to get back into the 22. He did better publicly than those before him, perhaps not privately. But it doesn't matter now, ROB is our preferred ruck until a point that Sauce looks like he's turned the clock back 4 years or ROB hits a rough patch. If that happens, having a fit and hungry Sauce looking over his shoulder will be a blessing. Not the bloke we've been watching the previous couple of years and early this year.

Brad and Matt said on AA that the main session this week lasted 15 minutes because of the short turnaround. When asked what it would normally be the answer was about 30 minutes. Are you seriously suggesting that decisions are being made on who is the better option to ruck over a 30 minute match day simulation, which I doubt all of the session would be, rather than what Sauce was delivering pre-injury compared to what ROB is delivering now? That would be insane for players who are coming back from multiple weeks out. But it would explain why Seed continues to get selected whilst looking like he's running up a sand hill for most of the game.
The length of the session is not the same every week. Its dependent on the turnaround from week to week. We had 15 minutes this week. We might have an hour next week (with the bye) and it is never at the back of one training session. It has to be sustained over a period of time not just one training session. Our team is no different to any other AFL side out there.

The only way Sauce gets back into the team is if ROB drops the ball and that is entirely up to him. Over the pre-season there was very little between the two. Sauce got the nod just. Partly though seniority partly though their work against each other over the pre-season. If ROB keeps performing, Sauce plays SANFL. If he drops off and Sauce plays and trains well, he takes his spot. It is really that simple.

Some have put a line through Sauce and are arguing for the sake of arguing and wanting to be right and not wanting him back. For me, I personally don't care whether its ROB or Sauce in the ruck. I care that we pick the team that will give us the best possible chance to win and try to pinch a flag with this generation over this season and maybe next. Its a long shot but these lads need to be given every change for everything that they have sacrificed and gone through over the last 10 or so years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The length of the session is not the same every week. Its dependent on the turnaround from week to week. We had 15 minutes this week. We might have an hour next week (with the bye) and it is never at the back of one training session. It has to be sustained over a period of time not just one training session. Our team is no different to any other AFL side out there.

The only way Sauce gets back into the team is if ROB drops the ball and that is entirely up to him. Over the pre-season there was very little between the two. Sauce got the nod just. Partly though seniority partly though their work against each other over the pre-season. If ROB keeps performing, Sauce plays SANFL. If he drops off and Sauce plays and trains well, he takes his spot. It is really that simple.

Some have put a line through Sauce and are arguing for the sake of arguing and wanting to be right and not wanting him back. For me, I personally don't care whether its ROB or Sauce in the ruck. I care that we pick the team that will give us the best possible chance to win and try to pinch a flag with this generation over this season and maybe next. Its a long shot but these lads need to be given every change for everything that they have sacrificed and gone through over the last 10 or so years.
Could that also be a couple of sessions a day?

Arrive
Weights/cardio
Recovery
Outdoor session 20 minutes
Recovery
Lunch
Theory and tactics
Outdoor session 25 mins
Recovery
Light meal
Theory

Home.

?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I just saw it, yes he said the right things but I don’t believe he came across as genuine.

“My spot” “looking forward to getting back in the second half of the year and finishing the year off strong”

The only way he’s getting back in is if a)ROB is injured or b)ROBs form drops, because if ROB keeps this up he’s not getting a game.

So really what he’s saying is screw ROB, I want my spot back.

Good. Jacob's taking the attitude of "yeah I'm second fiddle" would have been a much worse attitude to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back